on 11 December 1999
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It deals with a number of current issues in a forthright manner and with a humour that owes much toanother facet of Ben Elton's career; that of stand up comedian. It is well plotted and, although the main characters lack something in depth and subtly, they typify the sort of person who would hold the views that they articulate so forcibly and wittly.
on 11 September 1999
I've read most Ben Elton books. I didn't actually find this one funny. At all. I didn't think it was supposed to be, until I read other peoples' reviews here. Having said that, a good read, and one that kept me guessing until the end, no matter what other reviewers said here!
on 21 June 1999
Whilst not quite reaching the dizzy heights of "Stark", this is nonetheless very funny in places, and definitely worth the read. The basic concept of the book alone takes some thinking about. Classic descriptions of TR7s, missiles and bulls***!
on 20 February 2000
This was a brilliant book. Ben Elton at his very best. If you are a Ben Elton fan (like I am) then this is a must read book. The plot is fairly easy to follow. This is a page turning laugh out loud book, full of humourous and funny lines and comments (that are normally typical of Ben Elton.) I would recommend this book to any Ben Elton fan reguardless of age, any Ben Elotn fan would read this book and enjoy it.
One person found this helpful
on 30 September 1999
Having read all of the Ben Elton's books I have found this one to be the worse he has writen to date, it rases some good idiars but has a tendencey to repeat, a lot! The basic plot could be sumed up wiltin a quarter of the novle. This is not the best he has writen by far. . If you are new to reading Ben Elton I sugest 'This other Eaden' As that is the best I have read.
One person found this helpful
on 20 February 2000
I have read all of the Ben Elton novels now. Looking back over them I have to say this is definately the best. The others all have the typical Ben Elton humour, you can almost imagine him on stage reading the book, and they would all make great sketches. This book is much more human. Being a twenty year old leeds lad, I wouldnt have expected to enjoy stories about relationships, but this book moved me, and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys anything. Great book Mr E.! You seem to have an secret talent for writing love stories
on 27 December 1999
Excellently crafted, very well thought out and extremely readable. It took me just a few hours to read right through and I didn't even notice the pages flying by. Some of the funniest prose I have read in a long time and charged with characters worth reading about. Recommended to anyone new to Elton, as it is the first book of his I have read. Well done, Ben!
on 26 October 1998
Praise for Blast From The Past... NONE!
Ben Elton manages (as always) to make a statement through this book. Only too bad that it is wrapped in a rather boring story which covers only slightly more ground than one whole season's episodes of The Bold and The Beautiful.
Come on... we know you can do so much better...
on 15 May 2000
I've never read anything by Ben Elton B4, so I didnt know what to expect- I wasnt dissappointed- this book was well thought out and formed very well. The political and social events were great reading and the pages seem to fly by- i like the twist at the end- v. cunning! - I hope 'Popcorn' and 'Inconcievable' are as good!
on 13 July 2000
This story is written with such impecable timing and precision, flashing from character to character, bringing them, and events closer and closer to flashpoint. I could see what Jack's ultimate mission was, but it didn't detract from the suspense or tension. Make a great movie.