on 17 April 2017
Very sturdy! - held a Nikon D7200 with battery pack and lens on top of my landorver at 60mph !
on 15 August 2011
I purchased this camera mount for a very specific purpose: to attach a Kodak Playsport camera to a 350cc quad bike! As part of a "Stag Day" I organised for my brother-in-law I had arranged a quad biking activity for the morning of the day. I knew I'd have difficulty finding a static location for filming as the quad biking route was through a forest so I thought it would be more interesting if a camera was mounted on one of the quads - the last quad of seven with camera facing forwards.
I'd had the opportunity to look at the quads previously and decided that it would be possible to mount the camera on the fibre glass fairing IF the suction mount was good enough.
After some research on Amazon and eBay I went with the Gecko as it seemed to have the most effective suction cup. As a "just in case" measure I also attached a chain to the Gecko which I affixed to the Quad bike bull bar. If the suction cup failed the theory was that I wouldn't lose the camera, the mount and, most importantly, the memory card!
I "field tested" the mount on my little Suzuki 4 x 4 and it worked well.
Then came the day of the quad biking event...
Due to a shoulder injury I couldn't participate in the "quading" myself so I attached the camera to the quad bike driven by a friend. I pressed "record" and hoped for the best!
Despite constant vibration from the terrain and engine vibration the mount held firm for the entire event (over an hour). The resulting 35 minute footage (I think it stopped due to file size) proved to be pretty good. A bit wobbly but perfectly watchable. If I were to do something like this again the only change I would make would be to remove the mount extender as I suspect this may have amplified the vibration effect.
An excellent piece of kit which will provide me with some interesting options for filming in the future.
on 29 May 2017
I can't say too many good things about this mount. The suction cup attaches to most surfaces and it easily held up to a 200 mile journey stuck to the side of my car with an action cam attached to it. The head has multiway movement and the arm is long enough that I defy you to find it unsuitable for use.
I'm returning my Sony VCT-SCM1 for another of these.
on 1 February 2012
i needed some way of attaching my kodak playsport to my kayak at the front to video the trips out. looked at lots of mounts and thought this one sounded good for the price. well i have to say it's solid and sticks like s***. very adjustable and doesn't move. i used it out on the river for a couple of hours and got some good video. would totally recommend this, i have confidence in it....
on 17 September 2017
Brilliant product.
Superb engineering. Haven't tried it outside the car but inside, it clamps on a like a supercharged limpet
on 9 March 2017
Brilliant suction mount.
Wanted this to mount a device to my car roof with the confidence it would stay in place. No problem at all.
I think it would pull the roof off first.
on 8 November 2013
... tricky to position a small camcorder as the angle of the mount isn't too forgiving. tyres through a pothole and the camcorder will strike the windscreen like a yamato!! :-)
on 30 July 2017
Top piece of kit and worth the price. I've used this on a heavy Panasonic GH5 + Mic in cars and it has not failed me over a whole year.
on 18 September 2017
Pretty darn good. The hold is strong. Slightly awkward to mount the camera but it is manageable. Great for the price.
on 1 June 2017
Very well made and does what it says it does