Customer reviews

on 5 January 2013
Ahh that's better. While season 8 was great to see for its novelty value and the fun of being with some favored characters again. It really got rather out of hand and many events would never have happened in the tv show. Not just budget concerns actual dawn and xander kissing (never!) Instead of being buffy on a big budget it was more like what happens if you gave some hippys the avatar budget ie wild nonsense.

So far the season has been a lot more down to earth and as such much truer to the original characters. Once you over the shock xander and dawn are a nice believably close couple. Also there's more spike this season and he just comes across much better in the comics than the other guy( better drawn too) It seems they have realized that just putting you characters into peril is enough to sustain your interest. You don't have to threaten the whole planet (universe) all the time! (are you listening doctor who?)
on 1 March 2013
As my title says, this latest installment in series 9 of Buffy isn't bad but I felt it could be better. I'd heard about part of the storyline in advance and thought it was a brave choice so was a little disappointed with the way that story turned out. On the plus side, I liked seeing more of Robin's back story and there was plenty of Spike, which pleased me no end. Even the TV show had episodes that weren't great so here's hoping the next installment sees a return to form.
on 18 February 2014
Season 9 brings back the buffy feel from the first seven seasons. This volume keeps season 9's promise of staying grounded and not going over the top due to not having a budget like season eight. This issue did a very delicate storyline and dealt with it beautifully, the twists and turns in the issue are very comical and it has great character development in them whilst still sticking to it's true voice. Recommended to all buffy and comic book fans!
on 12 March 2014
Let's be honest here. If you're going to buy this comic then you're a Buffy fan or you're buying it for someone who is. What you need to know is that its worth buying.It's better value than buying each single issue and small enough to not be uncomfortable to hold.
on 24 July 2013
I love the surreal imagery, the ideas are wacky. It's funny and has the quirkiness that made me loved buffy the vampire slayer. I'm a die hard buffy fan and delighted by the many graphic novels that keep the story alive!
on 5 March 2013
Unexpected turns of events, including something about Spike and Buffy's relationship, funny charachters, interesting villains. Maybe the amazing things we all miss from season 1-7 are finally back.
on 12 January 2013
This is Whedon's official continuation of the tv series just in graphic novel form.
It does things the TV show never could, but manages to keep the voices of the characters we love
on 1 January 2013
I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK IT CERTAINLY LIVES UP TO ITS GREAT REPUTATION AS ALWAYS THANK YOU VERY MUCH
on 3 September 2013
(WARNING: SPOILERS)

Well here we are. If people read my review of volume 1, you will know that I had high hopes for season 9. I said that I had been mortified by many of the ridiculous happenings in season 8, but thought that season 9 had started in a way that might actually rekindle my Buffy love. I was naive. This volume started with promise; Buffy thinking she's pregnant; having to deal with a very normal issue while putting it in her anything but normal perspective as the slayer. Stories like that have heaps of promise, so I was hooked. But it didn't take long before Joss turned what could have been a truly powerful storyline into something that's stupidy and silliness rivaled that of season 8! It turns out Buffy is actually the Buffy-bot and Andrew has transferred her brain into the machine in order to protect her. The pregnancy symptoms were just technical faults. Yes, I'm serious, this is what ACTUALLY happens! As if that wasn't painful enough, we have more of Spike's space ship than I can possibly tolerate (those of you new to the Buffy comics: yes you heard right, Spike has a friggin space ship!!!) Which is driven by giant talking bugs... oh the hilarity.

I honestly just can't be bothered anymore. Season 8 had its truly awful and ridiculous moments, but at least it had the mystery of Twilight's identity and a promising start to keep me buying against my better judgement... but this is just too much. I would have stopped reading at the end of season 8 if it hadn't been for people telling me how much promise s9 vol 1 showed; one volume in which Buffy actually resembles a vampire slayer before we're right back to the robot/alien/mind swap sci-fi comedy crap that Joss seems determined to cram down our throats.

I can hardly even convince myself that I'm reading Buffy anymore, let alone a canon continuation. Therefore, I will not be buying Volume 3. Instead I will put on a Buffy DVD, because I'm in dire need of reminding myself why I loved this series after reading this.
on 24 November 2014