this is a weird twist on the beauty & the Beast fairytale.

If you've read Cruel Beauty or The Hollow Kingdom: Book I -- The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy you'll have high expectations.

Unfortunately so far the writing style and the heroine is beginning to grate on me. Within the first few chapters the heroine is whinging about the restrictions of society, her family dynamics (selfish siblings) and boasting how noble and avant-garde she [the heroine] is. I appreciate this was to allow is to realise why she [the heroine] would be a better candidate to sacrifice her life as the Dragon bride, but is was executed poorly.

The writing style tries for Ye Olde World by being stiltedly formal at most times, while using modern words at others. And it was also a tediously annoying writing style e.g. (this isn;t a quote from the book) "then I walked to the door, which was brown and sturdy, however, my dress was long and flowing. Hark, there goes my heart, beating dreadfully at the thought of being the Dragon's Bride. I can hear the sounds..."
on 14 April 2017
I love this genre and thought the general idea was good. Unfortunately I could not get on with the style of writing. Nor could I believe in the characters who were all one dimensional. I did finish the book eventually but only by skipping whole pages at a time until I got to a bit where something seemed to be happening. I won't bother with the rest in this series
on 24 December 2012
I did enjoy this story. The 'voice' is unusual, clear and likeable. The characters are fleshed out enough to be interesting. And - yes, fine - we know where the story is going, and it's not exactly new, but it's still an enjoyable ride. The disappointment is the ending; it feels rushed, even forced, as though the author was pushed into a quick ending, or just got bored and wanted to get it over with. It's a shame, because it's such a thoroughly enjoyable story up until the end. It really does deserve a longer ending, with a bit more meat on it.

I would really like to see this with a new ending - something longer and taking a bit more trouble to get to the point. Not to drag it out, or get too padded - but just to give it a bit more depth.

Having said that, it is enjoyable, and an entertaining read.
on 13 April 2017
No, I'm not going to tell you which one although you can probably guess.
This is more brutal than a modern fairy tale but I liked the style and the reinterpretation. And of course, we all know how fairy tales end!
on 2 January 2018
Which I guess is a complete spoiler only most readers will guess that is the underlying tale very quickly but the route taken is very different. This is a good old fashioned story with a modern heroine.
on 10 April 2016
A lovely reworking of the well-Known tale. Rhianne is different from other girls, less happy to conform. Her talent as a painter sets her apart, and her ability to think for herself and her second sight lead her in anew direction. The story is easy to read, quite well- written, and I really enjoyed it.
on 20 June 2017
I've always loved the story of beauty and the beast, and this was a very good version of it. I really connected with the main characters, and couldn't put it down despite knowing how it would end!
on 12 June 2017
Well written, good story. Personally I prefer more action, so this is an excellent review from me! Very much a romantic novel.
on 25 November 2017
Reminds me of "beauty and the beast" but with a few tweaks. Very enjoyable tale that is well worth trying.
on 27 April 2017
A really interesting concept, I found it really enjoying, but I found the ending was quite rushed and left a lot of unanswered questions