on 12 June 2013
I bought the XS100 very recently, in preference to a 'Contour' or 'Go-Pro', with the intended use of aerial filming for YouTube. See my channel, 'Railmon' , for previous efforts, particularly, 'Skye High'.
It seems to be an excellent product, only let down by a strange choice of output format, no sound on some devices
I have a Samsung smart TV and the files produced by the cam show a picture with no sound.
Yet windows media player will play the raw files. HDMI output, however, does contain sound to the TV.
I like the vibration feature, the G-sensor & the waterproof housing without additional equipment.
Image quality is better than the new 'Contour' and so is the price. Gives the impression of being very rugged
and the inclusion of several mounting accessories is very welcome. As is the soft holster for attachment to your belt.
Very handy.
I'd like to give it 5 stars, but the aforementioned sound and the somewhat fiddly control system, especially when attached to a TV, lets an otherwise excellent product, down slightly. However, I would still strongly recommend the XS100 if you can work round the negatives I've outlined.
'Railmon'
on 28 July 2013
My son bought this for filming biking etc. easy to use, simple to mount. Great clarity of images. No view finder but with such a wide angle of view no worries about missing anything. Fully waterproof and robust. A good choice thus far.
on 27 July 2016
It is basic entry level camera, made in SE Asia, marketed under several names - Polaroid, IOn Air, Monoprice, etc. I guess the only difference you can get is the app (Polaroid's is much more poor than IOn's) and what you get in the box. I have bought it considering the box will contain all the mounts I will ever need, but it came only with bike mount. At the time of writing this review, product description still states you will get helmet mount, but that is not the case, as well as with carry pouch. Without the missing parts, it is not as good of a deal as I was considering it before, so I feel I've been ripped off. Added couple of screenshots to show the difference in descriptions, beware.
review image review image
on 2 October 2013
I chose it as it was much cheaper than the go pro.It works well in daylight and is ok at night.I use it on my motorbike.The first one did not work but Smart shop were very good and after returning it they sent it straight back in working order.The operation is simple and watching on laptop easy though I can't get my macbook to play it as the download isn't accepted.If you are looking for an easy to use camera this works well.
on 19 March 2013
As a personal trainer its in my interest to have the best equipment for me and my clients. I had the idea of recording all our sessions, our mad forest runs, bike rides, pad work, etc. So knowing nothing in this particular field, i jumped onto Google and searched for a sports purpose camera.

There are some expensive ones out there with a whole lot a reviews, i even found a site that compared footage from them all. This is where i seen the differences from the other "Go Pro" cams and then this Polaroid one. Now funny enough this site didn't like this Polaroid one, instead boasting about the more expensive ones... but the footage is right in front of me! I could clearly see that this Polaroid Cam was just as good, if not slightly better than the others. So i followed my gut and bought this one!

PROS:

Slick design, Good Brand, Good Battery Life (so Far), Easy ON/OFF, Easy Picture Capture and Overall Good Featured Product. I have enjoyed using it so far, the 720p 60 fps is a good setting as it allows for nice slow mo effects! Nice and wide angled lens. Happy with this product, will be hard to beat this!

CONS:

The Manual is a standard low info one... but online you can find the more comprehensive versions so no big issue again!

I was hoping for the camera to be a bit more covert, but its not a massive issue, just a personal preference!

After recording i found there was no sound! i was heartbroken...BUT THEN... as for the "No Sound"... i actually emailed amazon to get a refund as i thought the product was faulty, before i sent it off i contacted Polaroid and i was told to download VGA and try again. Worked fine! phew!

The straps and accessories was a massive pain... i still struggle attaching this together as i cant make sense of how the helmet strap works... a video tutorial would be essential for noobs like me ^_^ instead i just wrapped it all through the vents and tied a knot!

it is for those reasons it didn't get 5 STAR...

BUT if:
1. You know how to attach the device correctly to a helmet...
2. don't mind the size of the cam...
3. are OK using VGA instead of Windows Media or converting files...

Then this is a 5 STAR product for YOU! ^_^
on 21 October 2013
there are better, I have the go pro thats double the price which is awesome but the polaroid is fantastic value for money. pic quality is very good. fitted to bike and been in the sun and the rain...no worries

I would recommend this.
on 29 March 2013
Overall quality of manufacture is good but images are not as bright as they could be. When shot in contrasting light conditions, i.e. sky/ground, the dark areas are really dark. This is both video and stills. The autorotation feature only works if the camera is already rotated prior to starting recording, and doesn't work at all for stills shots or the 'thumbnail' copy of video. These have to be rectified using additional software that is not included. All settings, apart from HD to F H D, need to be set on a computer or laptop so there is no easy way to change from burst to time lapse when outdoors.
Both the quick start and the online manual state that firmware can be updated by using the ' check firmware' button in the software, but the button is not there. On the plus side customers services responded very quickly ( POLAROID UK)
on 18 February 2014
Pro: small compact bullet style. good video not great, used as a dashboard camera for commuting.

cons: plastic threads for mounting to ball head. had to replace my camera ball head screw with a deep one to get more than 4 threads. pulled out 2 top threads.

will answer more questions about it, just ask.
on 6 November 2013
Perfect if you don't want to spend the extra on a GoPro. The attachments you receive with this are strong and durable. I could never get the software to work on a Mac. I followed the online instructions but they don't seem to lead you to the right place.

The shape of this means you are limited to handlebar or helmet mounting but this didn't really bother me.

Due to the bigger community and more accessories I did end up selling this and buying a GoPro - I'm a sucker for brands.
on 29 March 2013
For the best shots you need to stick the camera onto your helmet with the attached 3M adhesive tape.

Set up the camera settings before you use it. You can't change your setting while using and without an laptop or desktop.

The program does not work on Ipad or Android tablet.

The big films you shot are to big to play on tablet, the small films you can.

When you use the camera for skiing or snowboarding. Don't use the option of rotated lenses. You get some pics upside down.

Every body is fond of the style off te camera.

You can feel the vibrations through your helmet, that's easy for use and to know if its filming or if it's making photo's

When you want to use timelapse it works great. Set your settings upfront.

It's not possible to change from timelapse to normal pictures without using your laptop / desktop program.

Polaroid need an app to make it more usefull during the day without laptop.