Format: Audio CD|Change

My mum loves it thanks
on 5 May 2017
Great
on 14 August 2015
Loved the movie and loved this CD
on 11 January 2013
I'm a long-time fan of Les Misérables and I was eagerly awaiting the release of another interpretation of the classic musical. I won't discuss the film here, but will concentrate on this album.

There are 20 songs on the disk, less than half of the 49 in the film. This is clearly listed as a highlights album so I don't believe it is at all misleading, but I thought it important to stress that fact here in the review. Some of the omissions are a surprise to me; notably "Come to Me", "Do You Hear the People Sing?" and "A Little Fall of Rain" - all iconic songs for the musical in my personal opinion (plus I'd have liked to have "Little People" included as it's one I enjoy a lot). However, included is "Suddenly", a new song for the film, and the songs that are included are very strong.

Of the songs on the disk some stand out and I would like to comment on them...

Anne Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream", a portion of which was used in the trailer and has gone far and wide across the internet, is the run-away piece of this compilation for me. From it's jarring and quiet start it rides a roller-coaster of emotion and is truly amazing.

"A Heart Full of Love" shows the vocal talents of the singing actors exceptionally well as they sing together. You can feel the passion in the piece, and things like this show exactly why the cast singing live together was a great choice.

"On My own" has been my favourite song from the musical, from the very first time listening to it, and Samantha Barks doesn't disappoint as she delivers it exceptionally.

One final nod goes to the unlikely pairing of Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter for "Master of the House". Although I have read a couple of articles expressing that maybe they weren't ideal choices for the film (and my wife was very unsure about "Borat doing Les Mis") they perform a brilliant and funny double act. Great stuff. Nobody else will truly be Thénardier for me after this!

The quality of the recordings is very good, though the large ensemble numbers (such as "Master of the House") can sometimes get a little hard to follow some of the lyrics with a large number of background singers - the only thing that is a negative to the idea of the actors singing live.

All-in-all this is a great version of an amazing musical. I'm very positive about this (as I am sure you have detected through my subtle review...) and I have no hesitation in giving it a five-star review as it is fantastic soundtrack collection. My one caveat (and may seem contrary to the five-star review, but I don't believe so) is that if you want the whole soundtrack, this isn't it and don't buy it (I chose to buy it in the hope that sales will drive an earlier release of the full soundtrack). What is here, however, is more than worth the £4.99 it cost me.
1010 Comments| 261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2017
Beautiful album, I wish I'd seen the deluxe version first as I ended up buying both but still wonderful
on 10 February 2013
The songs performed in the film were brilliant, but the CD had some odd choices, including an instrumental with cannon fire, at the expense of classic Les Mis songs like Lovely Ladies and Do you Hear The People Sing (although it does have the reprise of this at the end).

Worth having, but it wouldn't surprise me if they bring out a more comprehensive soundtrack once everyone has bought this one!
on 19 January 2013
I came back from the cinema buzzing after seeing this film and couldn't wait to get the soundtrack.

'Ok' I said to my boyfriend (who is a huge Les Mis fan) '.. which one is the song?'

'Which song?'

'You know... THE song... do you hear the people sing, singing the songs of angry men, it is the music of a people...?'

'Oh, it's just called "Do you hear the people sing?"'

... and then we both looked for it, and it wasn't there. I couldn't believe it! We played every song on here just in case it was called something different, but nope.

As other people have said, I know it's only meant to be the highlights, but the biggest song from the film, which has been in my head for days, isn't on here. I have no idea why! The whole story is about the french revolution and this is THE song which gets to the heart of that. So 2 stars I'm afraid!
2525 Comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2013
In my opinion the best Les Mis vocal recording is the 10th anniversary Gala Performance recorded at the Royal Albert Hall. The film is wonderful, but that is mainly down to the acting, the sets etc. The singing (recorded live whilst filming) is less than perfect although completely appropriate in the film. This recording is also Highlights only and a lot of memorable songs are not included
on 5 March 2013
Can't sing any of them. Tenth anniversary recording so much better. Better they had singers who could act than vice versa