on 2 April 2013
o.k. the Google Chromebox is a new type of computer. Its the desktop version of the Google Chromebook. I have just converted from a standard windows PC to the Google Chromebox and although its a bit of a leap of faith to move to the cloud, I am genuinely delighted in the result. The Chromebox is a very fast and silent PC which does everything I have asked of it to date and with 100gig of free Google cloud storage for two years looks safe to meet my needs quite well until then.

Due to the questions raised I thought I would record my thoughts in a little more detail on a blog feel free to read if you want to know a bit more. Its called "Harveys Chromebox Experiment" and you will need to search for it as external links are not allowed on these reviews.

Chromebox good points
Fast online experience (from off to online in 7 seconds)
Cheap computing - an excellent experience and all round value for such a low price
you can share accounts easily - I have 5 accounts on the computer (+ a guest function) so everyone can get to the computer as they want it - and no-one deletes files I need or changes my settings (which is nice)
Free software - all the basics from simple photo editing, word processing, spreadsheets etc are available for free through google drive and many more extensions are out there.
no need for antivirus as that's all done for you on the cloud

Chromebox frustrations
limited peripheral support (webcam coverage is a bit hit or miss), printers need to be Google Cloud Printers like this one Epson Expression Premium XP-700 chrome as an operating system is still new, so improving regularly.
it won't run pc or mac software (I put this on not because I expected it to, but because other may hope it will)
1010 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2013
Expected the device a little smaller, because it has no dvd-rom, but is a little larger. Lots of USB ports and two displayports - normal size and not the small ones known from Apple stuff. Anyway easy to connect and setup.

As there was no real installation, just logging in with my Google account, it was running in minutes. It took some updates, till the latest version was on the device, which is always updated from the internet.
Would buy it again, as it mostly used in the office to do stuff on the internet and in Google Apps.
on 22 August 2013
This computer is perfect for the things I want a computer to do. I use a computer a lot, but most things I do with it are relatively simple tasks (mostly office and/or internet related).
Don't get fooled by the relatively low specs. The Chrome OS is very light too, so no extreme hardware needed. I love that it boots so fast (within 7 seconds) and that updates (if necessary) are installed in a few seconds also. As far as experience is concerned, it works just as smoothly as my Windows laptop with a Intel i5 processor.

If you cannot do without Windows software or Apple, this computer is not for you. If you love Google, you will love this computer.
on 12 April 2013
Great product.
In the fast few weeks I used it every day and it never failed on me.
When you are using the cloud & the browser to work, this is the machine to go.

DIM
on 8 October 2013
I bought this for £250 in April 2013, so I'd be wary about paying ~£320 as it is advertised at the moment (October 2013). It is, however, a very useful machine for going online as it is very quick and easy to use.

The only real downside is dealing with photographs is not as easy as we have been used to. There are ways of handling and storing pictures (and the 100GB of free storage helps a lot), but it isn't quite as user friendly as Windows system. I suspect this will get better over time as updates are made.

I would recommend getting one of these, particularly as it takes up so little space!
on 15 January 2015
product was fine for just a year when it stopped working completely. Yes have tried all the usual workarounds with no joy. Am diappointed because can get no re-dress through Amazon. If anybody had the same problem would be happy to hear the result.
on 15 April 2013
Does everything you could want. Great for school and entertainment. Easy to use and set up. Delighted with my purchase.
on 1 August 2014
Device brilliant. HOWEVER. The one supplied by Amazon had a version of ChromeOS so old it was incompatible with the google updates and the appstore could not update its self. FFS! In the end the only options was to use the cool chrome://imageburner option to burn a USB and flash the thing. Then brilliant. I thought this thing was new at the end of 2013. Whats it doing with an OS so much older than that ?
on 12 May 2013
I bought this because I use Google for just about everything, and I'm tired of using bloated Microsoft software. This machine boots up in 5 seconds, doesn't crash and is very fast.
It has bluetooth but only for a mouse and keyboard at the moment, which isn't a lot of use. They say it will be updated to proper bluetooth functionality at some point, but no date given yet.
I thought the Chrome OS would be updated regularly, but in the month I've had the machine it's only had one update.
I would recommend this to anyone whose computer needs are fairly basic, and just want a fast reliable machine.
on 18 July 2014
What a fabulous piece of equipment! After a minor initial software glitch (Resolved very quickly by Google) I am in love with my Chromebox. I use it daily for heavy business use and it works wonderfully. I will certainly be a repeat customer for Chromebox. The only downside is the large viewport display output which very few monitors support and cables/adapters are hard to come by. I believe the latest model has addressed this so no problems.

See one answered question