on 27 September 2017
Not bad.
on 15 December 2012
A lot of these games are getting long in the tooth but are still great to play.
Superb games

Smash TV
Total Carnage
Spy Hunter
Toobin

Why did they bother games

Cyberball
Spyhunter 2
APB
Arch Rivals
If you like Retro games there are a lot to choose from. Remember some one these games are 30 years old so do not expect them to look like Halo.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 August 2015
Not what I wanted.
on 11 November 2014
Not for me but my kids love it
on 11 February 2013
A great compilation of games from my youth made even better with the support of XBox achievements. Sinistar is one of my favourites - it's ridiculously hard and over in no time but - what a game!
on 23 October 2016
Bought primarily for Defender, which is without doubt one of the greatest arcade games ever, this collection of retro arcade games features some classic games that will no doubt bring back fond memories for those of you old enough to remember playing them in the arcades.

The ability to customise so many aspects of the games is a superb feature of this collection. The on-screen presentation is top-notch and the whole package is a credit to all those involved in bringing this collection to the masses via the Xbox 360.

I've been having a blast playing Defender again and boy is it every bit as difficult as I remember it being from the times I played it as a boy. Smash TV is another total riot that has me freaked out as I attempt against all odds to annihilate the hordes of scum on the screen.

There are of course some weaker games in this collection but nothing that holds back my wholehearted recommendation to buy this arcade collection ASAP.

Enjoy!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 July 2014
I bought this compilation mainly for one game, Sinistar, hoping the fine controls had been mapped to Xbox controls in a useful way. I can say this is the best recreation of the control required to get Sinistar kills and progress a few levels in, just like I could back in 1983 but now using the Xbox360 controls.

[I have tried multiple times through other emulators and DIY control units to recreate as close as possible the play of that original 1980s arcade stick which had a special 49-way joystick, (centre + 8 directions in 6 steps) which makes it pretty difficult to build from common parts available today. Results I had with 4 and 8 way simple joystick switch builds on a R-Pi or a PC/Mac ends up with something too difficult to play, never able to collect enough crystals for a kill. I could play a bit better with a touch pad but still not as good as I was back in 1983.]

Sinistar is one of my favourite games ever and now here in this disc pretty close to the original gameplay and insane intensity (Time Pilot84 was another for me, where are you on Xbox?). Here, tight about-turns and pushing on rocks during crystal mining is just right using the left stick and also remapping sini-bombs to right-button makes it just perfect. For me this accurate emulation of direction control is worth the entry fee alone and the other games are just a bonus curiosity for me. And yes people who were not there at the time just don't understand my fascination with the face from space. A group of us were obsessed at the time and devastated when the bar manager swapped it out (others complained it was too hard).

If you were a Sinistar junkie this is the cheapest and easiest way to experience that frantic, deep zoning in on the play (and out of the real world), I used to be a dazed mess after a Sinistar session and this version does the same to me now.

If you were a few years older or younger then many of these games including Sinistar will be a mystery to you. Most on here I don't recall playing myself especially anything after 1985 and so don't hold the same level of fascination for me. Everyone has their own era. I do remember Defender I and Joust I. These are also quite tough games (and also short) and well emulated and I play them occasionally. Marble Madness I remember but never hooked on due to difficulty then and I am not sure the Xbox control helps much on this one.

So the price now is low and I am more than happy to spend that to have access to a good Sinistar ride that is the best I have found so far. To get even closer I promise would cost much much more (I have tried).
on 3 November 2015
Was not bought for myself
on 17 June 2015
Fantastic little collection of Midways early arcade hits

Games work fine (Well Pit Fighter is still Pit Fighter) & the achievements range from nice and easy (Gauntlet) to challenging (Smash TV)

Recommended!
on 17 August 2015
Some classics on here like Gauntlet II (bit disappointed that you can't save your game and come back to it later though - means you have to start from scratch each time).