on 1 May 2017
Nice little snippets on ways of thinking. James was also good to listen to and be lectured to on my uni course.
on 18 March 2014
I've only read the first few chapters of the book at this point, so I'm still sitting on the fence about how useful this book will be. However, I've already lost a bit of confidence in it's ability to turn me into a genius: the author seems to be convinced that Dostoyevsky wrote War and Peace, when it was Tolstoy.
Maybe I'm being picky, but wouldn't a genius have at least looked it up?
on 23 February 2013
I love books and I love reading so it'a rare event for me to buy a book that I feel was simply money wasted but that's how I felt with this one.

The content of the book seems to be aimed at an audience with a reading age of about 5 as are the supposedly humourous illustrations.

By the end of the book, I was left wondering where all the ways of becoming instantly smarter had been; certainly not in the author's endless stream of trite, irritating drivel that I threw good money away on.
on 9 July 2012
Deceptively simple indeed, Bannerman's little book seems at first to have pre-digested smart thinking for us, and simply spoons an endless supply of bite size ideas into a grateful and increasingly open mouth. But the end result is not only less simple (the mind has been given a really demanding work-out) but genuinely creative. Bannerman's manner is easy, amusing, charmingly self-aware and he has the gift of encapsulating ideas in a very few words and, delightfully, in scores of clever mini-cartoons. He starts out giving a guided tour of a highly concentrated (but persuasively organised) storehouse of examples of brilliant, innovative ideas which have impacted, directly or indirectly, on our everyday life. Halfway through, however, his book suddenly morphs into a manual of creative thinking in business. This comes as a bit of a surprise, since a would-be purchaser is nowhere encouraged to understand that this is the kind of book on offer. However, while the reader who might be looking for such a book may therefore miss it, the general reader like myself loses no interest in the argument that occupies that second half. Indeed, over the book as a whole, Bannerman succeeds in providing much more than interest and amusement. His seemingly endless supply of lateral thoughts has the cumulative effect of generating the belief that I can solve most problems old and new if I only adjust my mindset to tackle them in a creative way. Bannerman doles out smart advice like confetti, and, while his generosity doesn't extend to giving the book away for free (he works pro de Bono more than pro bono), I am extremely grateful to him for his ideas, and intend to make free with them.
on 7 August 2012
Drivel. I read a lot -- good books, a few not so good, and some bad -- but this? I have never felt so cross as to be moved to write a negative review before because generally I think that life's just too short to dwell on negative thoughts, but I simply couldn't bear this. The irony that a book purporting to help people have genius ideas should be so irritatingly simplistic and written in such a puerile tone of voice is unbelievable. Want a genius idea? Read something else.
on 19 October 2013
I think everybody can get benefit from this book. I quite like it. It is all about how to materialized things you already posses.
on 21 October 2012
I met James at a learning conference - his presentation was bright, smart and very enlightening. I bought his book Genius on the strength of his presentation and its intuitive style/approach make the reader quickly able to use his suggestions in everyday situations. A toolkit of quick creative solutions and references to tackle both work and personal challenges.
I would highly recommend this book.
on 19 September 2012
Especially as I hit my mid forties I realise that such is the way of the world that we all need to change our viewpoints every now and then. This is an excellent self help book that uses great little anecdotes, drawings and personal experience to illustrate ways of thinking round issues, problems and challenges. there are many books on business thinking, laterally, vertically, outside boxes, inside globes, etc. As any would appreciate you can read all of them and they will all offer a different approach or advice process.

Gen!us is charming and easy to use. The clue is in the title 'deceptively simple'. Its not trying to be high brow but whether you read it cover to cover as I did or dip in occasionally as my wife does, it offers golden nuggets of help. It won't change my life but it will help me approach things differently, especially when I've run out of ideas. i hope that Mr Bannerman writes more as I suspect he has the capacity of aiming books at all levels to please all types. For the time being accept that this book does what it says and may help even you manage a conversation, meeting or a business a little bit smarter.
on 11 July 2012
Highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to gain a healthy balance in their life. Normally hate self-help books but James Bannerman has created a book worthy of its title. A positive ray of sunshine containing golden tips capable of re-awaking any flagging creative brain. Its strength lies in its realism, an understanding of how we actually can manage our lives, rather than sending us on an unrealistic journey for the holy grail. For me, a forty something suffering from a bout of inertia when facing the magnitude of juggling a large family and re-launching a career, Genius has provided me with the platform to take a breathe and re-prioritise. i read and re-read the book over a weekend, thoroughly enjoying the comic illustrations which work so well as visual triggers. Should be top of the list for all book clubs. Looking forward to the sequel.Genius!: Deceptively Simple Ways to Become Instantly Smarter
on 9 January 2016