on 7 December 2016
I loved this book - a fascinating exploration of how dependent we've become on modern technology, and what it would be like to go back a hundred years but with a different set of social mores. Some of the reviews here were sceptical about the plot of walking a vast distance under dire circumstances, but I think that's just indicative of how dependent we've become on modern transport and communications. Our ancestors did exactly that.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2017
I really enjoyed this book, and it is not too farfetched.
Imagine a world that loses all power, no light, no heat, no transport, no communication. This happened in Molly's home town. Her husband, Gary, is a Pilate and is away from home,a lot, he's away when the world switches off!
The story covers his battle to cover hundreds of miles to get home to his wife. The battle his wife and neighbours have to just survive in their small town, to defend it from hostile "wanderers" who would kill to steal everything that they need to survive.
A very good read, well done Stephanie Erickson.
on 19 September 2017
I expected more, a different world and society not the same suburban patriarchal tedium, she also never explains where everyone goes to as they don't die in the Apocalypse. Sorry this is tedious.
on 17 June 2014
I had high hopes for this premise but found the tale disappointing. The situation of the blackout and the manner in which the people reacted to it was all very predictable and hackneyed. Some of the characters were interesting but not sufficiently appealing to hold my interest and boredom set in long before the hastily wrapped up ending.
on 28 January 2017
I enjoyed this book and I am really looking fwd to reading her next book which is due out soon.
on 27 January 2017
The premise was good, and certainly fairly topical, considering the amounts of power we I use, but it was bland. Not really worth the bother. 😐😐😐
on 30 March 2017
Sorry, far to disjointed, though a great idea,
on 14 January 2014
Very good read indeed! Good story, characters well written, believable scenarios etc .however ...would a refrigerator work after an emp? Hmm I suspect everything, even a fridge would have circuitry these days .I'm no expert to be fair and if I'm wrong I humbly apologise :-)
on 31 March 2017
The loss of all power like electricity, electronics, etc, makes for a fascinating read. How people survive is well described, and is quite realistic as not everything goes to plan. It is well written, and worth reading!
on 18 August 2017
The book's narrative and timeline are good. I would like to see a second book and catch up with the characters at a later date. I know my review is vague but I hate spoilers. Good book I read it in one sitting as it held my attention.