on 15 January 2013
Downloaded and read the book in one evening and very highly recommend. It is easy to write a whole book about one of the albums let alone try and explain eight. Key themes were addressed and most of the great (or more specifically, my favourite) songs have a very interesting (albeit sometimes brief) dissection.

Its great to get an overview of other songs as well, those which you are maybe not so familiar with, so that now when I get through to listening to them (Springsteen's backlog is like the gift that keeps on giving), I have a great starting point with which to explore the song.

Maybe the author should write about the other albums next!
One person found this helpful
on 26 August 2014
It's been a while since I listened much to The Boss so I really enjoyed the insight offered here. I can't ever accept that Born To Run should be subservient to any of his other material and for a welcome departure I loved the Seger Sessions but thanks for giving me the chance to delve a little deeper again into the thoughts behind these great songs/poems.
on 13 March 2013
Good, intelligent book, and just the right length -- long enough to be meaty without getting tedious.

I didn't agree with all the choices (I'd put Tom Joad right up there) but that's really the point of books like this -- it makes you think about your own choices as much as read about what the author chose.
on 20 November 2012
a must read for every Springsteen fan - I loved reading his views and it really made me think about mine. I agreed with a lot he said and disagreed with some -wholeheartedly recommended
3 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2013
I'd recommend this book to any Bruce fans . Even if you don't agree with the authors favourites he tells a story that Springsteen fans will connect with and perhaps will introduce this social spokesman to others.
on 2 July 2013
A great read, and the perfect way to launch a five hour bar room discussion amongst Bruce aficionados. If I can add own immediate thought, it's why if Peter has Nebraska at number three (and that is quite a sound judgement) he has Tom Joad so far down the list and not at number four.
on 8 April 2013
A good read, I was a disc jockey in the 60s to late 80s . Learnt a lot about. The Boss
on 18 December 2013
Great to read about the music I love written by someone who obviously knows it inside out. Almost ended too soon though!
on 7 December 2012
Poor selection of albums, poorly explained choices, not well written, not worth it. It passed an hour or so, but not much more can be said
on 15 November 2012
The best thing about this book is that it makes you want to listen to the albums again - and you may hear something new or different in some of them thanks to the author's commentary.
Glory Days reminds us of the breadth and depth of Springsteen's talent. Most artists, with perhaps the exception of Dylan, are not making the same meaningful and creative albums now as they were decades ago.
The author writes with humour and makes the debate accessible. Although knowledgeable, he's no snob.
I would have put his number two choice as my number one, but I see his argument.
Recommended short read, for casual or hardcore Boss fans.
4 people found this helpful