on 19 December 2012
I chose this book for a very specific reason. It was priced at £2.05. I published my own book on Kindle at a price of £1.99 and was rather surprised to find that it also finished up at £2.05. When I bought "I am a 60 year old woman" there were no other reviews and I was oh so curious as to the quality of a book that had not been reviewed and probably hardly ever purchased; I know the feeling.

In my opinion the first milestone for a book to have my approval is for me to actually finish it The second milestone is for me to read every word and not skip through any of it. I am delighted to say that this book passed both of these milestones.

Any personal memoir is bound to be a collection of anecdotes that the author thinks is worthy of a wider audience. I agree with her choice, I loved all the stories, all the characters and the constant reference to "please drink responsibly".

The tale is interspersed with philosophical comment on how the world is; I must confess to sharing many of the conclusions about the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Only in one aspect did I find myself totally at odds with the opinions of our author. She does not own a mobile phone, she does not need one, she does not want one. My own first wife had a similar view. I had to pick her up from Wigan railway station and she missed the train. A quick call would have kept me up to speed with her projected arrival time but she did not need a mobile. How long does a person have to stand on Wigan platform three before they hatch a murder plot in revenge; not long in my case.

Page turner... could not put it down... must read.... yes to all three. It is a crying shame that unknown authors who aren't celebrities are never read. I really hope you all enjoy "When can it do Errands?" as much as this story. Pass me a pint, please drink responsibly. Just as an aside, the £1.99 gets up to £2.05 with the 3% vat. If I could make one appeal to readers, give the £2.05 gang a try and please please please write an honest review. We don't hope for five stars, we hope for honest opinion. You really matter to us.
on 9 April 2013
What a wonderful, refreshing read! Picked up this book and found it very difficult to put down again. Beautifully written, with a good range of hilarious stories and also some sadder, more poignant memories.

The book takes the reader through life in chronological order, and balances memoirs with comment on social events that occur alongside the personal story. The author manages to keep this balanced beautifully, keeping the book well-paced and interesting.

As a 20-something, it has reassured me that there is much to look forward to as I get older, and I can only hope to follow is S.P Harrison's footsteps and keep a youthful outlook. However, what makes this book so lovely is that it is accessible at all ages, from those curious as to what life will have in store, to those who can be reminded of events that may parallel their own lives.

I would recommend this book to anyone - and have been doing so! Fantastic read!
on 27 February 2013
I was attracted to the title of this book and the price on Kindle. Fantastic book, full of nostalgia and a great mix between funny, sentimental and factual history events. I had the equivalent "duodenal ulcer effect" - generally called "chip on shoulder". I would like to know more about S P Harrison. For instance why is she living in Yorkshire - and much more. A good read for "women of a certain age" and, I would venture, also their partners.
on 16 November 2014
This book is so unusual and although I am slightly older than the character I felt a lot of empathy with her life story. Don't know anything about S P Harrison and would love to find out if anyone knows. Presume it is a female - has she written anything else?
on 26 March 2014
I'm also a 60 year old and had looked forward to sharing reminiscences. Alas, a great load of ignorant nonsense. A class ridden rant, on and on she goes. Began promisingly but then the book became caught up in author,s prejudices without humour or balance.
And this author - who makes much of her working class origins - was familiar with soya milk in the 1980s?! Just one of many unbelievables.
on 31 March 2014
I feel desperately sorry for the author of this book, whose writing makes her appear to have walked through life with a huge chip on her shoulder - apparently because she lived in a council house as a child. (I did too). This doesn't necessarily have to make you depressingly cynical, live a loose-moral led, selfish life and reach 60 disillusioned, having encouraged a man of deeply held convictions to abandon his faith in God. How very sad.
on 10 December 2013
Just finished this moving story,about a 60 year old rock chick.
(Please Pass The Shiraz)
An interesting book in it's own write.
I'd recommend it to anyone !!!!
Happy and Sad Times come to everyone.
on 20 August 2014
Sorry not worth reading.
on 7 October 2014
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 April 2014
I struggled my way through the fist third then abandoned it as a bad job, life is to short to read badly written books.