on 31 May 2013
I HAVE TO SAY THIS IS A GREAT 80'S CD SET WITH SOME CLASSIC RARE HITS THAT TAKE ME BACK AND BRING BACK FANTASTIC MEMORIES OF GROWING UP, FOR ME THIS COLLECTION HAS NO FILLERS ON HERE, EVERY SONG IS A HIT TRACK. I ALSO LIKE TO SEE AN ALBUM THAT DOES NOT STICK WITH THE SAME OLD PLAYLIST OF TRACK. GREAT SELECTION OF SONG, RECOMMENDED TO ANY 80'S MUSIC LOVER
on 23 April 2016
Hits popular and not so popular, but we all know them, some made it to Top Ten, some outside it, but we all know, them and hum, or whistle or sing along to them, good background music if you have friends over for dinner or drinks. Bargain set well wrapped and packed and delivery spot on .
on 6 July 2013
Not a typical 80s album but some really fantastic obscure hits that I had forgotten about! I have got so much enjoyment from listening to this in the car its a great driving cd :)
60 tracks for a fiver - what more could you from a compilation. I bought this for about 10 tracks I wanted which would have cost me 69p or 89p each so what a money saver. I also got tracks I had forgotten like: Life in a Northern Town and Seven Seas.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 March 2014
I succumbed to the charms of this triple disc set in a garden centre on the Isle of Wight, and I had it paid for and then blaring out on my car stereo before I had even forgotten what I was actually supposed to have gone in there for in the first place. It was something of an 'impulse buy', shall we say; on account of the fact that (a) I am addicted to purchasing 80s compilation albums, and (b) this particular one shows immense good taste by including two different works by Siobhan Fahey. Well, three really, if you count the fact that she also co-wrote 'Young At Heart'. I chose to believe that meant this product and I were somehow destined to be together, a theory that probably wouldn't stand up to much scientific scrutiny, but which certainly worked for me.

In addition to which of course, '80s - The Collection' gives further refuge to some pretty rarely encountered tracks from that classic decade. Things like 'Twist In My Sobriety' and 'International Rescue' do not tend to put in too many appearances in these sorts of compilations. Admittedly, 'Venus' by Bananarama does get about a bit. Ditto 'Take On Me' by A-Ha and 'Johnny Come Home' by the Fine Young Cannibals. But, the point is, they are classic 80s songs.

Fair enough, 'The Collection' is a woolly enough title to be able to justify pretty much any track the compilers had chosen to shove on here. And they have done well as far as I am concerned. The problem is, it is the presence of such a diverse selection of music on these discs that forces me to give it four stars and not five. And that's quite something, given Siobhan Fahey's presence around the place.

As an addition to an already fairly extensive 80s music collection, it would earn a thoroughly well-deserved five stars for being innovative in the majority of its track selections. But I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that what they will find within these 60 tracks is anything like a 'definitive' set of songs which could be said to reflect what was particularly popular in that decade. If you think of the most successful bands and artists who were around then, I bet not many of the names you're considering are to be found on here. In which case, as something that calls itself '80s - The Collection', it doesn't really collect anything like enough big names. Someone receiving a gentle introduction to 80s music at the hands of these three discs might come away with entirely the wrong impression of life as it was back then.

Sort of like going in to London to see the sights and getting no further than Dagenham.

If, like me, you're hopelessly addicted to 80s compilations, then I can thoroughly recommend this product to you (I don't care if you DO already have two dozen copies of 'Venus' about the place... what if a meteor destroys them all, what then?). However, if you're looking for something a little more in the way of an 'authentic' popular 80s music experience, I would respectfully suggest a different collection entirely. Much as I loathe and detest the song myself (well, familiarity breeds contempt and all that... unless we're talking about Siobhan Fahey), I have come to the conclusion that anything that features '99 Red Balloons' (or 'Down Under' for that matter) anywhere in its track list is probably going to be the sort of product which can do that kind of job.

And, if your luck's in, you'll probably find a copy of 'Venus' on your travels as well!
on 9 February 2016
I have purchased a number of 80s compilations in the past, and much these have depended on the oh-so-predictable fall-back fare of Relax; Wake Me Up Before You Go Go; Come One Eileen; Every Breah You Take. Not so this, album. And what a pleasure it was for that!

This album benefits from a very imaginative line up, and includes a good mixture of obscure tracks; under-rated and perhaps forgotten ones; and a number of well-known floor filers or staples of any 80s radio station. True, they have included Blue Monday, but in keeping with the "thinking outside the box" theme of the compilation it is the undeservedly-overlooked 1988 remix, rather than the yawn-athon cliché that has become the 1983 original.

They have also included quite a lot of genres and interspersed them as well with one another , so the album never really gets tedious. My only complaint would be that the final 1/3rd of CD 3 is little bit of a let-down, but that would be nit-picking.

If you are looking for an 80s album with some originality to it, I heartily recommend buying this collection. Very good effort by Rhino Records.
on 5 February 2013
this cd is brill loads of songs which where well known in the 80s but dont get played today
this is a must for all 80s fans i brought for my daughter but will get a copy for myself
on 4 May 2013
arrived promptly, well packaged and is great listening, all the best tracks are included and some slightly lesser known ones. A full 5 star review is deserved for this item
on 15 March 2013
Although there are some of the usual suspects that are duplicated on many other compilations, I found quite a number on here that weren't, so I was really pleased.
on 3 January 2014
I like this collection of songs from the 80's
Its missing a few I would have said should have been there, but on the whole a very good selection..
I don't know what the spinners track is doing on there as I'm sure that's not an 80's track.