on 26 May 2017
Worked for a period of time but the main adaptor died after 2 years or so
on 30 December 2013
Some issues in setting up. Instructions limited and not clear hence the 4 stars. Once set up works fine and really useful in distributing wireless broadband around the house.
on 30 March 2017
These units have really sped up our internet in all areas of the house.
on 1 March 2013
plugged it in,,, extended my existing Devolo network easily, good quality connection,, easy to set up,,, flexible to use.. would buy these again
on 28 April 2013
I'm pretty good with computers but the last DLink WLAN extender I bought had a few install steps that were unnecessary. This one was *almost* literally plug and play. Warning, the units point "up" from the socket to make sure you have enough clearance.
on 18 March 2013
Having read reviews for different makes and models I decided to go for one of the more expensive as it offered exactly what I needed and, unlike some other makes, was simple to install.
I was not disappointed. It is truely plug and play. No software to install. No configuration.
I wanted to extend my network to my "office" which is separate from the house and about 50 feet from my wifi modem router which is in the house.
I have been using a high gain wifi connection on my PC in the office but internet speed dropped from 10mb to at best 6mb and usually 2 to 3 mb.
With the dlan 500 plugged into a wall socket and connected via ethernet cable I get 10mb again.
I also have a tablet which I use in the office so connected that via wifi which only required me to type in the password found on the back of the unit and this also provides 10mb on the network speed test.
Couldn't be easier.
The instructions state you should plug both units directly into wall sockets. However I have had them plugged into extension leads at both ends, one of which was 30 ft long, and the wired connection worked perfectly although the wifi was a bit intermittent.
In summary not cheap but does exactly what it says. Recommended.
on 25 February 2013
I have BT infinity running at 78 mb, we already have the Devolo dlan 500av units behind the TV and also in a study. The connection speed according to the Devolo cockpit is around 160mb. This unit was purchased as my daughters bedroom is on the edge of the BT home hub wireless so needed a wireless extender and also she wanted to connect with Apple Airplay more effectively, (the BT wireless cannot be boosted by an airplay unit). This unit is excellent, we now have a second wireless N network we easily get the full Internet connection speed of 78 mb and the link between the 500 av wireless + is 150mb. Apple airplay also connects to this network with ease. The 3 Ethernet ports are occasionally utilised and gives gigabit connectivity between the 3 devices. The unit is a bit expensive but it really is trouble free, no lost weekends setting it up, just plug and play so within a few minutes everything is running and you just forget about the unit. So well worth it.
on 5 January 2013
I wanted to upgrade from a slower dLAN device. I bought a 500 starter kit and this wireless unit. As expected it just plugs together and works. Upgrade required for new and additional TV and PVR devices so that my internet connection can be used for missed programmes. I no longer need to down load onto computer and then watch. Having an old house (1920s) the electrical wiring is the best way to set up a network.
on 13 March 2013
it was the fastest and have had devolo goods before.
Simple to install. Had a bit of trouble making it secure re passwords on my net work but finally got it right.
Problems were due to understanding the meaning of some of the instructions, eg password was it my computers, my browser, my adapter or my network.got in a bit of a mess but sorted it out and now have strong signals for tv connection and other wireless connections. Very pleased.

However living in an old house with very thick stone walls still have a need together further adaptor for the far end of the house and am disappointed that I am unable to buy a single matching adaptor. To buy another set and waste the browser connector adaptor is a wast o money.
on 10 April 2013
Have upgraded my broadband to fibre and getting roughly 20-25mb speed, not great but better than previous 2mb.

Office broadband at front of the house upstairs and lounge at back downstairs so very slow, also Sky On Demand took forever to download through their wireless box and laptops also very slow, when Sky was downloading took all the band width so everything stopped downstairs, lots of moaning from the whole family, as I'm the IT guru (not) in our house I get it all.

Been looking at these types of products for a while, cheaper options, some wife extenders for £20 and other wireless power lines for roughly £60, all had mixed reviews. Plus I've learnt you get what you pay for!

Devolo seems to have mostly good reviews so took the plunge. Received today took out of the package, one connected to broadband is through a surge extension lead and one downstairs is in wall socket.

Found the devolo wireless connection straight away and connected tv, sky, laptops ipad, phones etc. All work well and getting same speed as upstairs now, 20mb.

So happy and more importantly, so easy.

Getting a cabin/office soon which will be a 100ft way from the house, so happy to know I can run my work broadband through a power line.

Thank you DEVOLO, a product that actually does what is is supposed to!!

Update: 11th May 2013

Had a few problems with signal dropping off and lots of red flashing so have had to run direct through the mains power rather than through an extension lead, noticed that the speed has increased straight away.

Cabin coming in a few weeks so will update to see how this works.
44 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse