on 22 March 2017
I really enjoyed Glenn's book.All the adventures and mis-adventures had me compel to keep reading.1st time boat owner and skipper having to put up with repairing a boat he bought to going sailing. To top the never ending 'money-pit' his boat was becoming came a crew of folks he never knew until the sailing came about.One of the crew members was very vocal about everything that displeased her.If I had been Glenn, I would have kicked her off the boat! But that is a positive character note for Glenn having to put up with a crew who at times would have tried Job's patience.A very interesting journey/adventure for Glenn. I really enjoyed the book.
on 2 September 2015
If you expect a sailing adventure story you will be disappointed. If you like reading about other people's failures and incompetencies, you might feel it was worth your time. I admit the book is not badly written compared to many self-published books you find on Kindle Unlimited, but the plot does wear you out, and the ending is a let down. I did not expect the author to actually complete his mission but it all ended too soon, with nowhere near enough actual sailing to balance the long tedious descriptions of all the repairs and purchases the author undertook to prepare for his failed voyage. It is beyond my comprehension why he thought he could carry it off, and what actually drove him to do it. It could have been a decent book if the descriptions of repairs were cut shorter and there were a few more interesting characters in the book (as the sailing world is not short if them), but the author is too self-centric to pay much attention to anyone else. His crew members look more like caricatures than real people, and his judgement of other people is often very shallow and/or condescending, yet he keeps going on about how shallow other people (especially women) are when judging him. He mocks people living in "MacMansions" and sticking to their routines, yet he seems to be very uncomfortable even getting outside of the tourist trap area in Mexico. The breaking straw for me was the main character's sexist, misogynic attitude towards women. He can see the irony of being interested only in physically attractive, fit women while being fat and unattractive himself, but it does not make his attitude towards women any more palatable. Having seen his comments on feminism, abortion and gay marriage on social media I came to suspect it is not just his looks and lack of sailing experience that made it difficult for him to find sailing partners or a girlfriend. If you are new to sailing and have Kindle Unlimited, do give it a try, especially if you enjoy dissecting other people's fallacies
on 24 January 2015
Ime a sailor with lots of experience and what glenn achieved was remarkable I'm sorry he couldn't meet a beautiful women as I have to share his dreams and aspirations just because he didn't fit the handsome sailor mould. A very enjoyable read and totally honest account which any sailor will have been in similar situations. I am sure he will return to the sea hopefully in a better dry boat and find the women of his dreams.
on 14 April 2014
An honest account from a man who started with minimal sailing experience , who wasn't,t afraid of making mistakes. I found this book more than a yachty trip but more of a man achieving and finding himself . A story more about honesty and dealing with people at close quarters. It will leave you thinking ,how important your dream really is.
on 13 June 2014
It nearly put me off wanting to sail myself - but not quite. Learning the hard way to sail - but showing that it can be done. Reading the books that tell you how and what not to do and then doing it all anyway. The one paradox for me was his refusal to consider a woman unless she was physically attractive, but then not understanding when women did not consider him because he is not physically attractive to them - doh! As he admits, writing a potential partner off on looks alone is pretty shallow. However, I fully enjoyed the book. It is really well considered writing and I enjoyed every word.
on 6 January 2015
Initially I felt inspired by Damato's mission to leave it all behind and learn how to sail (both in-progress aspirations of my own) and enjoyed his honesty, pace, willingness to fail and learn and occasional sarcastic humour. But by the end I'd had enough of going over the chip on his shoulder about women's attitudes to him, particularly considering that when the tables are turned he is as disrespectfully incommunicative and shallow as anyone is supposed to have been to him.

The sailing bits were involving and nice for me to read as someone who still knows little about it, but his pride over poorer, "transient" solo sailors and refusal to try anything unfamiliar once on his unfamiliar quest point less to an adventure than a realisation that he doesn't want an adventure. I'm all for trying and failing, but I wasn't exactly sure what he'd learned.
on 20 December 2014
I loved reading this book. A real page turner that kept me entertained to the end. Buy it now, you wont regret it!

If the author ever reads this (and without giving away the 'plot'). 1) I would have put all those women crew off the boat pretty quick! You were very very patient! 2) I hope you go ahead with the plan emerging at the end of the book! If you do, write about it as you have a talent for writing!
on 23 April 2014
I quite enjoyed this book which was well written and held your interest well. I guess I like a happy ending!
on 29 January 2014
A very well written account and refreshingly original!. I liked the down to earth and honest approach of a life journey to achieve an objective which is seen by many as crazy. You can’t fail to identify with the authors emotions and motivations to carry on. The story is both inspirational and at times humorous!. I would highly recommend this book, one of the best books ive read in a while.
on 28 September 2014
Very funny self deprecating picture of the unlikely adventures of a geek who decides to become an offshore yachtsman. HIs observation of characters and situations are well pasted into the narrative. It ends in an abrupt way but this shows the impulsive nature of the writer as well as the alluring draw of a comfortable american life.