Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 3 February 2014
Erasmus, a physics and history teacher, has designed himself a time machine. He goes back in time to meet Robin Hood just because he can. But history back then is not the same as the stories nowadays.

This is a crackingly good romp. Robin Hood is a bit of a twonk and it is Maid Marian who wears the trousers. Erasmus keeps getting into trouble as he tries to find out the truth about Robin and undo the changes he's probably made to history.

This book has some gentle humour to it and is a nice easy entertaining read.
on 3 January 2014
This was a free download, and all the way through Chapter One I thought 'Just as well: some of the phrases are a bit stilted, and there's a bit too much word repetition', then about half way through Chapter 2 the book came alive, I was hooked, and went everywhere willingly (well, maybe not the tannery, nor the dungeon, although I loved its 3 rats rating) with the young history/physics teacher. Having not been at secondary school for an awfully long time now, I have to say I'd have been delighted to have had him teach me either subject; his dealings with (these pc days I daren't say 'handling of') his various pupils were skilful, and he was delightfully close to being rude to his headmaster. As for his wooden privy, his logic for its design seemed sound, even if its landings weren't always in the best possible locations.

Andrew Fish' treatment of the Robin Hood legend was refreshingly different, and I have no doubt he'll have pleased the feminists by his treatment of Maid Marian's band of outlaws, efficient, every one - although I'm not sure they'd approve of the one tidying the stones from the clearing (too reminiscent of domestic drudgery, perhaps). Robin Hood's band, however, are a different matter, while the Sheriff of Nottingham is much more astute than I remember in the legend, while poor Guy of Gisborne really suffers more than his share of calamities. The two local yokels in the inn are superb, and the incident of the lute and lyre is great fun, but best of all, even better than Maude, are the squirrels...

By the end of the adventure, I was a total fan of Erasmus, whose experiences have made him grow in confidence and stature, and I do hope that he'll be back for some more time travel.
on 14 December 2012
I am delighted to have found this delightful book as an ebook. I came across an earlier printed edition some years ago and, like the previous reviewer, loved the thread of humour which is woven through it. It is also an interesting slant on the debate about time travel and whether time travellers should interfere in past happenings . . . . I'll say n'more. At 99p, well worth getting.
on 28 December 2013
This had some interesting historical references that had me reaching for Google and it was an entertaining, easy read with some humour That said I felt much of this book was relatively passive and drawn out to the point where boredom was creeping insidiously in. I also had issues over the hero's modern day situation. Would any headmaster allow a teacher to have a locked storeroom that he himself is not allowed to look into? Or have a staff member turn up after 10 days absence without leave and simply go back to work? Would any teacher give a schoolboy a full size sharp medieval sword to casually take home with him? That's assuming he could lift it? Why, if Erasmus had a time machine could he not have simply arrived back the same time he left? Incidentally, when a villain turns up dripping water all over the floor after being falling in the river it is worth noting that this is several hours later after he has been patched up by a. Priest so surely he would have drip dried by then?!
on 25 February 2013
I'll be the first to admit that I know pretty much zilcho about the legend of Robin Hood and his band of merry men. What I do know is that they weren't a bunch of foxes and other such forest animals running around and having a good time conning the sheriff out of the taxes. But that's about where my knowledge ends. Pretty sad, really.

Erasmus Hobart and the Golden Arrow was a brilliant book in many respects--I learned more about the legend of Robin Hood than I originally knew before reading and the book made a very important point--history is the perception of those who write it.

Think about it... how do we know Robin Hood really stole from the rich and gave to the poor? We don't... it's someone else's legend. And that's exactly the subject matter in Fish's novel. Erasmus Hobart (I freaking love that name) goes back in time via a kitted out wooden privy (think Tardis!) to see what Robin Hood was really like. And boy is Erasmus shocked at what he finds. I won't say much more than that because I'm not one to publish spoilers, suffice to say the truth Erasmus finds is a lot more interesting than legend.

The book itself is quite clever and easy to ready, even if it's something that's been done before--and for 99p on the Kindle you really can't say no! I enjoyed the romp through Sherwood Forest with Erasmus and look forward to seeing what Fish has in store next for the kooky time travelling teacher. You can count me in as a fan if it branches into a series!
on 19 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book - quite unusually for me, it had me chuckling out loud. The idea of time travel is taken in a fun way and applied to Robin Hood's times in a novel way. Well worth reading. I have recommended it to my husband and my 14 year old son as I think men will enjoy as well as ladies who get fed up with the same old thing - a refreshing cnhange
on 1 February 2013
A thoroughly entertaining and often very funny read - well worth the 99p price tag. This book kept me amused over a series of lunch breaks and is an interesting new take on the legend of Robin Hood and the dangers of time travel. If you love Terry Pratchett's Discworld books then I think this will appeal to you as the humour seems very similar.

I did start to wonder about three quarters of the way through how it would all be concluded and was concerned that the ending would seem rushed but everything fell into place very neatly with a satisfactory ending.

I look forward to reading more of Erasmus Hobart's further adventures in the future....

P.S. Love the squirrel references!
on 12 May 2014
This is an excellent premise for a story, not just your standard time-travel stuff, and is very well written. The characters are described well and you end up rooting for the main man Erasmus!! I would very much like to read more from this author and recommend this book wholeheartedly.
on 30 November 2013
Absolutely loved it.
Great sense of humour, great story. Very likeable characters.
The beginning had me chuckling constantly then blossomed into a a full blown adventure.
I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it!
on 23 December 2012
This was thoroughly entertaining and amusing, it can be slightly embarrassing when you laugh on the underground. Also found I really have to watch that I didn't miss my stop as the story and characters are so engaging. I really enjoyed the read and I'd really like some more please.