on 26 March 2016
Not so hilarious, but an interesting and amusing read.
on 29 January 2013
I downloaded this recently as freebie to my kindle and read it almost at once. The idea of upping sticks and moving to Ireland was very appealable to me. The author has had a health scare recently and decided it was now or never to get out of the rat race and live the dream.
The book does go on a lot about how they tackled all the renovation works themselves at the cottage they finally bought and mixed in there are a lot of tales or should that be tails about the dogs . Many dogs.. and chickens and ducks. The bit about when the author had to go to hospital with a personal problem had me crying with laughter.. OH didnt understand juast what was so funny but being a bloke he wouldnt find it as funny as I did!! ( Read the book, you will know exactly what I am on about)
I held back the tears.. only just when the book got very sad over the death of a couple of the dogs, but it was a lovely book to read. I d gladly have paid for it.
on 28 July 2014
Glad I only took a sample, Chapters 1 +2 are a moan about life. I'm Irish and expected some good laughs but when he finally gets to Ireland in chapter 3 I found I was taking offence at the stupid remarks he makes about the 'natives'. I'd all of ch 3 and it didn't improve.
on 22 July 2014
i was thoroughly enjoying this book, the description of Ireland and reasonbly humorous narrative made it a good, easy read.And then the owner kills a nine month old puppy because it unprovokedly attacks one of his other dogs twice. No talk of training or behaviour therapy, just to the vet for the needle. Otherwise lovely book ruined by someone who clearly has no knowledge of canine behaviour or how to care for animals.
on 16 December 2013
As another dog-loving blow-in Brit to County Clare after having purchased a hovel to do up, I can relate very well to this book. (Unlike the author, though, I haven't yet transformed the hovel.) The story is well-written, amusing (my only gripe in that department is the blurb saying it is 'hilarious' - it nearly put me off as self-promotion using that word almost always results in reader disappointment) and entirely believable. I read this on a Kindle and have bought two copies of the paper version as Christmas presents - what better recommendation could there be? I don't think the layout of the physical book is particularly good (i.e. not professional), although it is in no way awful and will not detract from its readability. As a self-published book, though, it scores good marks on how it has been edited and deserves being picked up by a mainstream publisher in order to get more publicity. I would imagine it will be equally enjoyed by Irish and British readers. I would recommend the author turns his hand to novel writing, since he can clearly engage with the reader and (unlike many a self-published author) knows how to put a sentence together.
on 12 March 2014
I chose five stars because it was well written and amusing. Being Irish myself I could easily identify with the situations the author found himself in as he travelled through parts of Ireland. Well done for being an English man and still understanding our humour!
on 14 April 2015
I really did not enjoy it was trite and not funny Sorry
on 2 January 2015
Initally interesting but only to people knowing the area. Became slightly uninteresting in all the building detail which took too much time for thorough enjoyment
on 8 July 2017
Looking forward to the next "tale" !!!!
on 18 October 2014
Lovely descriptions of Ireland, but hard going at the beginning. More about authors ailments. Better later in book, but I haven't finished it yet.