on 1 January 2013
I love this CD - I've played it several times already ... don't recognise any of the tunes but that doesn't matter - it's soothing exciting jazz by a master musician.
on 7 February 2013
The album survives the initial 'comedy moment' of recognising the reworked songs and becomes a pleasant and interesting collection. Good for a Sunday morning.
on 7 July 2013
This was actually a present for someone else but I also love it!. It's a good variation on some of his old numbers. Very jazzy!!!
on 1 January 2013
Excellent cd, have to admit I have had trouble with matching some of the tracks to the original Bryan Ferry songs but very worthwhile.
Already booked seats at his cocert late this year.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 November 2012
Bryan Ferry fans will know that he often goes through crises of conscience and artistic uncertainty, periods of writer's block - he's been known to junk whole albums of new material, and opt for an album of covers, or 'readymades' as calls 'em. I am not an uncritical Roxy / Ferry fan, but given the thirty years since the last official Roxy album, any new music is welcome. 'The Jazz Age' is an undoubted joy, and a coruscating artistic success. True, Ferry's thumbprint on it comes only via his roles as producer, and composer, but his voice is nowhere to be found on this instrumental outing. But the skill of Ferry's longtime musical director, Colin Good, deserves much praise for his lustrous arrangements on 'The Jazz Age'. One of my favourites of Ferry's earlier songs, 'Just Like You', originally on 'Stranded' Stranded is here beautifully reworked into a dolorous, stylish piece that is truly moving. Similarly, 'The Bogus Man' is shorn perhaps of the sinister quality of its original recording, but works very well in this fruity incarnation. The only thing to me that hasn't transferred too well into the 'yellow cocktail music' transmutation is 'Avalon', which is a little too jaunty compared to the mellifluous, sinuous original version. Mention must also be made of Ferry's artful way in which he has remained faithful to the 'Jazz Age' he is celebrating, by rendering the album authentically in mono, coming out of the speakers like the horn on an old gramophone. One can almost imagine the soloists walking up to the microphone to play their lead parts, then stepping back into the band for the choruses like an old-school Dance Band. All in all, however, I am happy to have this added to the Ferry / Roxy items in my library, and I think I'll be playing this often to get through the cold winter nights ahead. It has real charm.
on 1 December 2012
This is an album of 13 of Roxy's & Ferry's solo tracks done in the style of the
Duke Ellington 20's Jungle Band, & in my opinion it's the album of the year.

This is EVERYTHING Joe Jackson's lame Ellington tribute wasn't. This truly sounds like 20's Duke. If you're a 20's & early 30's jazz fan, my initial take is this is awesome! (Though I have clue what Ferry has to do with it other than being the song writer). While there are no DE songs here, stylistically it's very close; even the production values imitate 1920's recordings.

As an example of the music, picture Ellington's East St Louis Toodle-oo (DE's original version, not Steely Dan's wonderful cover) with the melody from Love is The Drug. And it TOTALLY works!

Really highly recommended & a huge surprise. I don't know if a non Roxy
fan would enjoy it as much as I do, but just using my ears I don't
recognize 80% of the songs as Roxy anyways as most are so changed.
This is miles better than anything I've heard from current revivalists on the indy labels.
on 26 December 2012
This is such a lovely CD if you like 20's jazz. I saw Brian Ferry being interviewed on the BBC and he said he'd used vintage microphones to record it, so it sounds authentic. His songs are only faintly discernible in the arrangements the band are playing, but as jazz rhythms are so different to pop songs this is to be expected. It's a wonderfully relaxing CD to drive to!
on 1 January 2013
Love this. Sounds authentic and atmospheric. Would have liked this to have been longer as it was so good. The tunes are really unrecognisable and make you want to dance to them.
on 4 March 2013
This album has such a nostalgic feeling to it. I love tracks 7 & 13...it is by no means your 'regular' Bryan Ferry...but at the same time does remind me a bit of 'As Time Goes By'. I love the way it is not perfect in its audible quality, but has that 'old school, 1920's Jazz Club feeling, almost scratchy in its sound, but this does not detract from it, it enhances it! Just lovely background music & also to drive to. Highly recommended for people who love everything vintage!
on 19 May 2013
If you have any love of music from the past 100 years -- and I know you do! -- you ought to give Bryan Ferry's latest, The Jazz Age, a listen. My h. and I can't stop listening to it. The orchestration and instrumentation are foot-tapping yet exquisite; the melodies are contemporary and yet this old-jazz treatment is just right for them. A beautiful marriage of sounds and sensibilities. Get it!