Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£18.18+ £1.26 shipping

on 19 September 2011
This is a marvelous Japanese thriller/horror movie many compare to Se7en, although it only really resembles that movie in tone.
It's really dark and disturbing and also a mite depressing, so pop a few Xanax before popping it in your DVD player.
It concerns a strange young man of few words who ingratiates himself in people's lives and his mere presence and repeated questions of : "Who are you?" slowly and inexorably drives them to demented acts of murder.
His presence strips away their veneer of humanity and respectability which we all pose as masks to fit into public life and exposes the animal instincts inside ourselves. Or that's what I think the movie means, anyway.
The actor who portays this killer creator is brilliant and unbelievably creepy. His calm demeanor and unruffled demeanor with the detective trying to solve the multiple murder cases is chilling to behold.
When the detective enters the sranger without a name's realm near the end of the movie, your jaw will drop.
It is a place which makes David Lynch's phantasmagorical lanscapes and other nightmarish otherworlds look like sunny playgrounds.
The ending is a bit ambigious though. What does it mean?
I think I know, but if someone can 100% explain it to me, I would be grateful.
Otherwise, a great film which relies on atmosphere and suggestion for its scares. (Although there is one unbelievably gory scene the likes of which I have never seen and will make films like Hostel and Saw blush.
on 14 July 2016
I completely agree with the other review and am disappointed there sent more reviews.
I rank our main character as one of my fav psychopaths in horror / thrillers. Hes unusual, patient, calm, subtly ruthless. What's incredibly clever is film mimics life. If u met him you would never expect him to be so hypnotically manipulative.
This is why the film is verging on faultless. It has no excessive horror but is quietly disturbing. And I love characters that rely on acting not silly plots.
Note: Thai film H was a remade version of CURE.
on 29 October 2016
I can't comment on the blu-ray version as mine is the NTSC region 2 dvd from Amazon Japan. This is easily one of the best Japanese films I've seen. Nothing over the top, just good solid performances and an interesting story with a suitably enigmatic ending.
on 3 October 2016
The image is too obviously from a tape master, original version is 5.1 but not stereo, dialogues and all effects are heard in all speakers simultaneously. This great movie deserves a real blu ray edition, avoid this one in the meantime.