Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 November 2013
I've always been a fan of female fronted bands and I have to say I think The Joy formidable are up there with best of them
( Blondie, Fleetwood mac, Lacuna coil, Fugees , Cocteau twins etc) , although I do realise thats probably the last thing they want to be known as. They are a band of talented musicians whose lead singer happens to be female. Its a shame though because I cant help but feel if their lead singer was male they would have been the next Muse/ Queens of stone age etc type band. Guess thats a sad reflection of why they are so underratted.

Anyway I stumbled onto the Big Roar a few years ago and it stayed in my playlists up until this day. It was fresh, great sounding guitars and melodies and the band obviously enjoyed playing together you could see that in any live performance or acoustic set on youtube. This really confirmed to me they were a talented band when every acoustic version of them doing their own songs sounds so good. In some cases some performances I seen were better than the album versions. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see them live but from what I have read they are fantastic.

Any way this album picks up where the Big roar left off but what I prefer about this album is the few quiter acoustic type songs mixed in with the full on distorted guitar tracks. They really sound fantastic those melodies and the dropped tunings together. I also love the fact that they are welsh but she doesn't make that everything they are about. It used to be painful listening to Catatonia where the lead singer milked all the R's ( ROAD RAGE). TJF's singer is a pleasure to listen to and I hope this band stay together for a long time.
on 6 October 2013
There's a little bit more polish here than on The Big Roar, though I love both. The Joy Formidable is that crossover between rock and alternative, not afraid to do something a little different, but beneath it all there's a lot of passion and power. My favorite tracks on this album are "This Ladder Is Ours," "Cholla," "The Leopard and the Lung," and "Wolf's Law," the hidden last track. I will say I hate the "hidden" tracks on CDs. That's kind of played out about 10 years ago. It would be nice just to punch that one up and listen to it whenever without having to wait through the dead air. But it's a great song (and really cool video on YouTube).

There are no dead spots here and this CD has been in my computer for really the better part of the year. I listen to it regularly yet it's all still fresh. I can't say I understand the artwork in the CD booklet, but aside from that I can find nothing to fault here. Love TJF.
on 27 January 2013
I know it, I'm getting old and jaded, and sometimes I wonder why I keep buying new music when I'm often disappointed and go back to the old favourites.
Then just as I'm about to reach back in to the 70's AGAIN, along comes an album like Wolf's law, and it lifts your heart.
Takes a lot to grab me first up, but this really is a cracker.
I'm not in to writing track by track reviews, it's all about whether the whole album works for me, and it does, the whole way through, finishing on a joyful chorus of strings and a soaring voice.
Not sure who to compare these guys to: a bit of Mostly Autumn, some Porcupine Tree.
All I know is I'll be looking forward to whatever they release next, and may well still have Wolf's Law in the CD player when they do.
BUY IT.
on 25 January 2013
After THE BIG ROAR,i thought a follow up as good would asking too much,but here it is in all it's beauty.
WOLF'S LAW is certainly a cd to buy if you enjoyed their first magical album. More of the same brilliance,but still new and exciting and well worth having.
From the big opener all the way to the calming end,this album is one to be admired,with rock riffs,nice drums,gorgeous vocals and sounds most minds just couldn't conjure up if given a life time,this is something to behold. Rocking in some places,haunting in others,enchanting in parts and unusual splashes of something different,this is a thing of magic i'll play for some time and no doubt,in years to come,will once again embrace like an old friend.
This band has something unique to offer us...and we'd be mad to turn it down.
on 9 May 2013
Couldn't wait to get this album as absolutely love 'The Big Roar'. Always anxious that a follow-up wouldn't come up to the same high standard but there is no problem like that with this record. Fabulous tracks throughout and no worries about being of a high standard - as good as if not better than the first album. Had the privilege of seeing the band in concert recently and believe it to be one of the best gigs I've seen for years. So much energy and every song played sounded incredible. Paid £12.50 for the concert ticket and talk about a bargain. Awesome - just like this and their previous album. This band are destined for much much bigger things. Can't wait to see them again and for the release of the next record.
on 8 March 2013
Superb follow-up album showing off the songwriting and unique sound of The Joy Formidable. Cryptic and obtuse lyrics abound, with heartening and lively bass and guitar rifts supported by superb drumming. 1 or 2 songs are perhaps longer than they should be, and 1 or 2 lose they way a bit. However 80% is just pure brilliance and always fills me with positivity and energy during and immediately after listening. And The Joy Formidable are really really worth seeing live! Highly recommended.
on 3 April 2013
This album has grown from thier first release. If you want to really feel the changes and expeirience this properly. See this band live. I saw them recently and I thought the "show" was the best I have seen for many years. It bought the music to life with raw energy and thumping waqll of sound. I wish them all the success they deserve (but I also hope it doesn't spoil them too). If you liked the first album you'll love this one. Only complaint I'm not sure about the last track yet!
on 22 April 2013
After their excellent debut, Wolf's Law marks a more consolidated sound from Joy Formidable - a lot of the songs on here are more accessible than the joyously experimental 'Big Roar' was, but again the strength of songwriting craft, love of big blowouts and sheer noise that the trio conjure up more than makes up for the dialled down eclectism. There's a sense of fun here - a band with their feet on the ground after a great couple of years and plenty of ideas waiting to be tapped into.
on 15 February 2013
Usually when I listen to an album for the first time, two or three songs tend to stand out and I listen to those over and over until i get bored and move on to the other less catchy tunes. When i first put on 'Wolf's Law', I couldn't believe how quick I got into it! Every song that came on was either captivating or quite simply rock n roll! If you like indie rock or any rock, you've got to buy this. Finally, a band that writes music that breathes life back to a much forgootten scene.
on 30 January 2013
I've been fortunate to catch these guys in concert several times and looking forward to seeing them in Indianapolis in April. I think I almost like them better live, the energy is amazing!

Love this new release. I love Ritzy's voice and the lyrics and orchestration are amazing. The only thing that keeps me from giving this 5 stars is the repetitive nature of each song - and by that I mean the same riff repeated over and over and over.