Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 January 2013
I know it, I'm getting old and jaded, and sometimes I wonder why I keep buying new music when I'm often disappointed and go back to the old favourites.
Then just as I'm about to reach back in to the 70's AGAIN, along comes an album like Wolf's law, and it lifts your heart.
Takes a lot to grab me first up, but this really is a cracker.
I'm not in to writing track by track reviews, it's all about whether the whole album works for me, and it does, the whole way through, finishing on a joyful chorus of strings and a soaring voice.
Not sure who to compare these guys to: a bit of Mostly Autumn, some Porcupine Tree.
All I know is I'll be looking forward to whatever they release next, and may well still have Wolf's Law in the CD player when they do.
BUY IT.
on 6 October 2013
There's a little bit more polish here than on The Big Roar, though I love both. The Joy Formidable is that crossover between rock and alternative, not afraid to do something a little different, but beneath it all there's a lot of passion and power. My favorite tracks on this album are "This Ladder Is Ours," "Cholla," "The Leopard and the Lung," and "Wolf's Law," the hidden last track. I will say I hate the "hidden" tracks on CDs. That's kind of played out about 10 years ago. It would be nice just to punch that one up and listen to it whenever without having to wait through the dead air. But it's a great song (and really cool video on YouTube).

There are no dead spots here and this CD has been in my computer for really the better part of the year. I listen to it regularly yet it's all still fresh. I can't say I understand the artwork in the CD booklet, but aside from that I can find nothing to fault here. Love TJF.
on 22 April 2013
After their excellent debut, Wolf's Law marks a more consolidated sound from Joy Formidable - a lot of the songs on here are more accessible than the joyously experimental 'Big Roar' was, but again the strength of songwriting craft, love of big blowouts and sheer noise that the trio conjure up more than makes up for the dialled down eclectism. There's a sense of fun here - a band with their feet on the ground after a great couple of years and plenty of ideas waiting to be tapped into.
on 8 March 2013
Superb follow-up album showing off the songwriting and unique sound of The Joy Formidable. Cryptic and obtuse lyrics abound, with heartening and lively bass and guitar rifts supported by superb drumming. 1 or 2 songs are perhaps longer than they should be, and 1 or 2 lose they way a bit. However 80% is just pure brilliance and always fills me with positivity and energy during and immediately after listening. And The Joy Formidable are really really worth seeing live! Highly recommended.
on 3 April 2013
This album has grown from thier first release. If you want to really feel the changes and expeirience this properly. See this band live. I saw them recently and I thought the "show" was the best I have seen for many years. It bought the music to life with raw energy and thumping waqll of sound. I wish them all the success they deserve (but I also hope it doesn't spoil them too). If you liked the first album you'll love this one. Only complaint I'm not sure about the last track yet!
on 27 August 2013
I can only really think of Slowdive and Ride sounding anything close to this. This Welsh 3 piece have stepped up the pace by making a very polished Indie album, with a distinctive female vocalist and a fantastic collection of self composed tracks that could see the band raise their profile and break America.
on 26 January 2013
'This Ladder Is Ours' (the opening track) is the best that they've done so far! Inventive energetic melodic, a great sand sorry sound blast, life affirming & the most inspiring beautiful number heard since The Jezabels 'So Hard' which is saying something. Well how are they going to follow that (sic) step. Do they need to? No they don't. In any case let's give the rest a go. 'Cholla' is more of a noise blitz & doesn't do so much for these ears even if Ritzy injects interesting bits & guts into it & there are some imaginative abrupt time changes. More tender is 'Tendons' which is a fine experience "careful of the night" with all out guitars & even includes some harp. 'Little Blimp' has a slightly different sound via riveting bass & is quite OK. 'Bats' is a slightly uncomfortable metallic affair "I had a reason but it went away" where they go in for one of their extended ending onslaughts. 'Silent Treatment' is a gentle acoustic guitar number "it is all you'll get from me" and adds a quiet relief & variation. Via a Japanese sounding start (a harp) the 'Maw Maw Song' then excitedly thunders along, whereupon it suddenly changes & strangely sounds like The World Of Oz's 'The Hum Gum Tree' (an obscure 60s track), then eventually seems to head in the direction of present day Muse with all out guitar pyrotechnics. Don't really get this but somehow this strange mixture seems to work. 'Forest Serenade' is a nice extension of the melody & energy of 'Ladder' "don't be the hand that takes lulls my forest serenade" and is more excellence. 'The Leopard & The Lung' with some fast piano trilling is more of a noisy electronica fuzz fest but then moves into gentleness with vocals provide by both Rhydian & Ritzy and becomes quite euphoric & anthemic. 'The Hurdle' is a pretty enough lilting acoustic fuzz buzz "that's why our mother believed". 'The Turnaround' reminds of Jackie De Shannon and is a pretty 60s style ballad with some beautiful high emotion from Ritzy which shows the extraordinary range of this album "fortune turns quick & then it's gone". The hidden number is seemingly the actual album title track 'Wolf's Law', which begins quite unassumingly "pretend it is dawn...we are under wolf's law" but then becomes epic climatic & one of the best on the album. Let's hope impatient listeners don't remove the CD before arriving at this one as it really is an emotional tour de force established by melancholic piano chords before building up into a climax with plenty of electronica darting around. Play the 9m33s 11th track first with the album on replay. Astonishing.
on 25 January 2013
After THE BIG ROAR,i thought a follow up as good would asking too much,but here it is in all it's beauty.
WOLF'S LAW is certainly a cd to buy if you enjoyed their first magical album. More of the same brilliance,but still new and exciting and well worth having.
From the big opener all the way to the calming end,this album is one to be admired,with rock riffs,nice drums,gorgeous vocals and sounds most minds just couldn't conjure up if given a life time,this is something to behold. Rocking in some places,haunting in others,enchanting in parts and unusual splashes of something different,this is a thing of magic i'll play for some time and no doubt,in years to come,will once again embrace like an old friend.
This band has something unique to offer us...and we'd be mad to turn it down.
on 9 May 2013
Couldn't wait to get this album as absolutely love 'The Big Roar'. Always anxious that a follow-up wouldn't come up to the same high standard but there is no problem like that with this record. Fabulous tracks throughout and no worries about being of a high standard - as good as if not better than the first album. Had the privilege of seeing the band in concert recently and believe it to be one of the best gigs I've seen for years. So much energy and every song played sounded incredible. Paid £12.50 for the concert ticket and talk about a bargain. Awesome - just like this and their previous album. This band are destined for much much bigger things. Can't wait to see them again and for the release of the next record.
on 22 November 2013
I've always been a fan of female fronted bands and I have to say I think The Joy formidable are up there with best of them
( Blondie, Fleetwood mac, Lacuna coil, Fugees , Cocteau twins etc) , although I do realise thats probably the last thing they want to be known as. They are a band of talented musicians whose lead singer happens to be female. Its a shame though because I cant help but feel if their lead singer was male they would have been the next Muse/ Queens of stone age etc type band. Guess thats a sad reflection of why they are so underratted.

Anyway I stumbled onto the Big Roar a few years ago and it stayed in my playlists up until this day. It was fresh, great sounding guitars and melodies and the band obviously enjoyed playing together you could see that in any live performance or acoustic set on youtube. This really confirmed to me they were a talented band when every acoustic version of them doing their own songs sounds so good. In some cases some performances I seen were better than the album versions. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see them live but from what I have read they are fantastic.

Any way this album picks up where the Big roar left off but what I prefer about this album is the few quiter acoustic type songs mixed in with the full on distorted guitar tracks. They really sound fantastic those melodies and the dropped tunings together. I also love the fact that they are welsh but she doesn't make that everything they are about. It used to be painful listening to Catatonia where the lead singer milked all the R's ( ROAD RAGE). TJF's singer is a pleasure to listen to and I hope this band stay together for a long time.