on 28 January 2013
I resisted the world of Apple for many years, and to be honest I still think much of their range is overpriced and their stranglehold on any business done under their badge is unpleasant and greedy to say the least. However, talking to a friend who had an iPad4, I persuaded myself to take the plunge after serious problems with my Sony Tablet S Android device. To be fair, those problems were eventually resolved, but by then I'd seen the light.

Is the fabled Retina screen THAT good? Yes, it is, simply the best screen I've seen on any computing device. For those who like to use tablets as e-readers, the difference is very noticeable between this screen and a good Android tablet, such as the one mentioned above. I haven't had the opportunity to compare it with the Nexus 10, but as that tablet has been garnering mixed reviews, I suspect that all may not be well in Googleland. But back to the iPad, which is every bit as elegant and beautiful as its price would suggest. There are some idiosyncrasies. While a doddle in most ways to use, I am finding it more difficult than Android. Specifically, getting certain files to associate with my chosen apps. But these are mere teething problems. Oh, and the Apple App Store is still a mess, but with 275,000 apps out there, the biggest problem is sifting wheat from chaff. But then, the same is true for Android and Google Play.

The iPad 4 is pretty much everything it's cracked up to be, feels and looks fabulous, works incredibly smoothly and has an excellent battery life, unless you're running HD games or video flat out for hours. But it will put a dent in your bank balance. Whether it's worth the extra money over a good quality Android tablet very much depends upon who is using it, what for, and for how long. I'm using mine for entertainment, research and work related stuff, so I can just about justify the outlay. The top spec Android tablets are now not much cheaper than this, yet still appear to suffer build quality issues. There's also an iPad 3 with Retina screen, for those who can do without the extra grunt, but really, looking at the price difference, you might as well go for this model and see how the other half lives.
33 comments| 265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 December 2012
This is a review of the iPad 4, released just a couple of months ago, and really it should have been called the iPad 3.1 (except Apple doesn't use numbers anymore!). Having used both the iPad 3 and the iPad 4, the graphics are the same (the iPad 3 has a retina display as well) and the overall look is the same (once you upgrade the earlier version to iOS 6, that is).

I understand that the main internal difference is the processor speed, and the most obvious external difference is that the charging port has changed from the 30-pin version to a small Lightning Dock, which means that if you are upgrading from the iPad 3 or earlier, all of your accessories which went through the charger are not unusable.

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade from the iPad 3, so is it worth upgrading from the iPad 2?

There are some nice additions compared with the iPad 2, but not enough, I think, for someone to upgrade. However, the gorgeous higher-resolution graphics make using this a really nice treat, and worth considering to pay the difference if you are considering the iPad 4 against the slightly cheaper iPad 2.

The video shows what you get in the box - I would suggest buying a screen protector (because even after 10 minutes you could clearly see the residue of fingerprints on the screen) and a case (to protect and enable you to prop it up).

It is surprising to me how much the iPad has been part of my home life. It makes checking emails and internet browsing more...social. You don't need to go to a big machine with a keyboard for casual searching - you can have something closer to a big book.

Secondly, using the iPad for emails is really good. The text is clear, and somehow the pictures seem more vivid, and you can just scroll going up and down with a flick of the finger rather than the organised gestures of the mouse. It may seem like no big difference, but it makes all the word of difference for ease and enjoyment.

I go the Wifi version rather than the 3G version because I am mostly in places which have Wifi (more and more common), but even if I need 3G connectivity, I can tether my iPhone to the iPad. It may cost a few pounds more a month when I use it, but it saves me a hundred pounds now.

I can confirm that both Screen Protector for Apple iPad 2 & 3, Includes Microfibre Cleaning Cloth And Application Card, 6 Pack and TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature + Screen Protector For New Apple iPad 4th Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2 - Black both work for the iPad 4. I imagine that most, if not all, accessories for the iPad 2 will work for the iPad 4 (apart from those which use the charger, which won't work), but I can confirm that these work.

The battery life is amazing. I have used it for web surfing for several half hours, but only got down to 85% complete.

Overall, a very good investment, and something that I use every day (if only to read my books from the Kindle app - in colour).
11 comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2013
This is my new best friend, no more negotiating with my husband that it's my time to go on the laptop,we now have our own gadgets! I only use it to look at my emails, go on the Internet and have downloaded a few games,I also plan to download some ebooks, I am getting better at navigating around the system, but it hasn't always been easy,it just takes a bit of time adjusting to it.
Love the size and the convenience of the IPad, especially as it's portable,no wires and holds it's charge much longer than a laptop.Good size clear screen,keyboard very easy to use,Wifi cover more reliable, laptop tends to be a bit slower and the service is not always available
The only thing I have noticed is that it can feel heavy after about 30 minutes and can put a strain on your wrists ,so be careful.
However I love it and it's been worth every penny.
on 2 May 2013
This is my first Apple purchase but now I can understand all the previous positive comments.
The ipad works so quickly and the image on the screen is excellent.
No negatives found and we are simply enjoying all aspects of the ipad.
on 26 September 2013
I have had a Windows PC for years and my wife a laptop for about five and we are both in our eighties. This is a new system to get to grips with which takes time so we are not there yet. Being a new 'operating system' has caused some frustration at times because the guide tells you what to do when you get wherever you want but unclear as how to get there! There is also some different terminology to get used to so you must be careful not to make assumptions but have an open mind. A lot of reading of the guide is necessary - this is available as a download on the iPad and needs to be consulted on a need to know basis ie: by 'direct access' and not sequentially as it is quite comprehensive and some facilities will not be required. This is a powerful and comprehensive piece of kit packed into a small handy space which can be taken any virtually anywhere. If you are that way inclined then go for it! We paid a little extra for a quick delivery and it arrived less than 24 hours later.

One final important point. The electric plug and USB power cable came in a neat box but the plug was an international version - no good to us, so for a moment we were disappointed but a careful search of the outer cardboard box it all came in revealed the missing UK adapter amongst the plastic packing bits. The supplier ought to affix a label somewhere to indicate that this item is 'lost' amongst the packing material.
on 9 April 2013
Just bought today & like an excited child, I'm typing this review on it. So, so pleased with my purchase as it feels solid, big enough to see and small enough for portability. It is a must buy & battery life is fantastic - outlasts my iPhone 5 which is on charge AGAIN today (grr!). Buy & you won't be disappointed.
on 3 January 2013
Love my new gadget which arrived promptly. Life changing! First thing I do every day is read the newspaper on it, speak to my long distance relative face to face on it, listen to my own personal music choices, watch catch up TV that I've missed, play with my son interactively on HIS ipad. . It's the world at your fingertips literally, oh and I've done some bidding on Ebay and bought a new skirt in the sales on it! It's great, love it to bits.
on 1 May 2014
My view is that is is just an interface that only works when apps are installed and many of these cost money

Good for e mails and messaging I have an i phone so easy to sync both devices

Can be very useful and portable enough. I did not need outside connectivity so WiFi only which works for me.

No issues in 10 months battery lasts 1-2 days and face time is much better due to front cam now good quality. You can now purchase a lead to connect to your tv for viewing all the content and say "Net Flicks" content.

I use it to stream audio content "spotify" which works ....well sort of...the "air play" drops out even with a wifi booster in place

Would recommend but yes its not cheap.
on 6 December 2015
This item came with a dodgy home button. Then it seemed like a suspicious return address. Eventually the home button eased up and then about 4 months down the line then the ipad charger connecter just stopped working too. I had barely used the item and had already had problems within the first couple of months. Had contacted the seller twice about this but had no reply about getting replacement or return. Really disappointed with this product- reluctant to buy and ipad again.
on 29 March 2013
My first Apple product after years of resisting the brand. I was surprised how easy it was to get started and downloaded the manual quite quickly so that I had a reassurance if I got into a muddle. I have since used Photostream, Music and installed many Apps and am certainly enjoying a second childhood in playing so many games! As an older user, a small point is that I think some of the jargon used on the Apple sites to aid getting to grips with the product could be simplified as this can be confusing.