on 19 September 2015
Oh. My. Gawd.

To say that this lens is sharp is an understatement. It will make every other lens that you own look soft - if it's not another Sigma Art series that is. It is everything you've read in the reviews and more.

It is sharp across the frame even at f/1.4 but of course at that wide an aperture there is quite a lot of vignetting. This goes away nearly completely at f/2 and it's gone altogether at f/2.5. Aside from sharpness, the colour and contrast is just astounding. As a comparison, I have a Canon 16-35 f/4 IS which I bought for my other half which is no slouch as I'm sure you're aware. To be honest, I wasn't expecting this to be better than the Canon as the Canon is a great lens, but it is. Oh my goodness it is.

At f/1.4 the Sigma is sharper at the edge / corner than the Canon is at f/4(!) and by f/4 it's in a totally different league both in terms of vignette, sharpness, detail and contrast. In fact I've only seen one other lens that's as good as this and that's the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art, which I bought before buying this one and is in fact the reason I bought this one.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a 35mm lens to do landscape photography at f/8 or greater then get the Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS as that's a superb lens - far, far better than my 17-40, but... if you're looking for a 35mm lens that you can use at large apertures then there really is no competition. The Canon 35mm f/1.4 is not as good as this wide open. Not even close. At f/1.4 there is no other 35mm lens that I'd buy. Period.
12 people found this helpful
on 8 December 2017
This lens is simply amazing. I’m comparing this lens to my selection of Canon lens.
Build quality feels pro. Focus ring is smooth with enough resistance to make for a nice glide into focus, would be ideal for motion pictures. There is no weather seal but then the canon equivalent doesn’t ether. The lens is fairly heavy but I like this. Feels stable in the hand.
Image quality is simply amazing. Seriously, my only lens that comes close is my Canon 70-200 2:8 is. This Sigma lens is brutally sharp. Hand held at 1:4 the focus is tack sharp when checked at 100x zoom in post. Every fibre, crease or blemish is visually apparent. This could be an issue as your model may require more post editing.
I’m so impressed with this lens I’m now looking to get the sigma art 85mm 1:4.
If your thinking of getting a 35mm 1:4 and want value for money. Get the Sigma art. If you want to spend at least double or more for the little red ring on the canon lens, well go ahead, but you could get an 85mm art 1:4 as well as 35mm art 1:4 for the same price as the canon lens.
Think I’m a Sigma convert!
5 people found this helpful
on 5 October 2016
As a wedding photographer, I had many friends who were raving about the Sigma Art lens range, so obviously, after seeing the amazing work they were doing with the lens I decided to go ahead and purchase one. I had never used a fixed length lens before but I am so glad that I took the leap and made the purchase. I now don't use any other lens. The 35mm is perfect for me, and the F1.4 allows me to create these really dreamy soft photos which I love.
The 35mm is so easy to use, both on automatic and manual focus and I've never had any problems with it. I am now looking at purchasing the Art 50mm lens to complete my setup. I have used this lens for over a year. Brilliant! Fab! No other words
7 people found this helpful
on 9 November 2017
Simply put, this knocks the major brands into a cocked hat. Ive always been a main brand user and was sceptical when told about this lens.

It arrived and immediately the weight of the product suggested the glass was serious. After a few shots I could not believe the sharpness it provided.

Simply put the look the feel of the lens is impressive but the results are out of this world. Do yourself a favour and enjoy these Sigma Art series lens I already have my eye on a few more.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2018
Had this lens from Sept last year and taken several hundred shots with it. I only shoot stills on a full frame Eos 6d.

Very sharp wide open at 1.4. Stunning at 4.0 with bright corners. Flaring is well controlled.
10/10

Autofocus is OK and quiet, build quality is better than some of my L series glass, body is metal and the focus ring is very smooth. Feels very solid.
10/10

The art series are so impressive that I have just ordered the 20mm f1.4 to use in place of my existing 20-35 f2.8 mk2 L.

Buy with confidence.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2018
I wanted to get this Lens for ages. It would help me out a lot when it comes to small spaces with a Aperture at f1.4 to get enough light in.

I finally got the lens now and used it on a couple of fashion/portrait photo shoots. All I can say this lens is one of my favourite lens at the moment. The lens is sharp and the focusing is really good. I have used it outdoors and indoors. I love the look of this lens really stands out. What I love about this lens I am able to shoot at f1.4 and get some amazing shots.

This lens is not only good for my portrait work is also great for Film Making, Landscape and Cityscape, Travel and Weddings etc. It a great overall lens to have in your camera bag. This lens made a prefect Combination with my other prime lens. I recommend anyone who like Prime Lens or want a cheaper version than the Canon 35mm f1.4L. I would 100% get this lens.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 August 2015
Incredibly sharp, very fast focus and as with all Sigma lenses includes case and lens hood.

I used it on a 7D (i.e. 1.6x crop) and it's fantastic as a walkabout/portrait lens. I rarely take it off in fact.

It's heavy, much bigger than the non-Art old Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but looks and feels quality.

Absolutely nothing bad to say about this.
7 people found this helpful
on 15 August 2017
Love that lens! Pin sharp at f1.4. This lens creates such a nice inages at 1.4. Cant really explain it. Love it.
review image
5 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2015
This is an excellent portraiture lens, especially for those doing full-length portraits of costumes, groups, etc.. Unlike some wide aperture lenses which are virtually unusable wide open, I'm pleased to say that this lens is perfectly usable at f/1.4. Sharpness does improve a little when stopped down to f/2, but not enough to make f/1.4 unusable.

I'd go so far as to say this Sigma f/1.4 lens is probably better than the Canon f/1.4 L, even though the latter is nearly double the price.

So the question really is whether you're going to use apertures wider than f/2. If you're not bothered about wide apertures, then the Canon 35mm f/2 IS is probably the lens to get: it's £300 less than this lens and has IS. However, if you're after a portraiture lens, or you're shooting in low light where the wide f/1.4 aperture will be to your advantage, then this is definitely the lens to get.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 November 2017
Love it! I have been wanting one for ages and because of some reviews I almost didn't get it till I spoke with some other photographer which does AMAZING pictures and she said she never problems with the auto focus which is the main complaint. Well, my personal experience has been awesome - my pictures are way better now ! The sharpeness is amazing .. If you want one, go for it !
2 people found this helpful