on 14 July 2014
Office 2013 is a relatively easy program to setup and use. If purchasing via Amazon, please be aware that the price for the product is around £179.00. If the product is cheaper than that, check that you are buying it from Amazon, and not a reseller as there are a number of fake products being sold via Amazon. There is no such thing as a bargain with software I'm afraid, counterfeit software is cheap because it doesn't work.
If you do not have an internet connection, do not buy it. The product downloads the necessary files and installed them once you have followed the instructions. Typically this is about 10 minutes on a 10MB internet connection.
Open the box, remove the card and open an internet browser. In the address bar type [...]
If that specific URL is not on the setup instructions within the box, return it to Amazon as you have purchased counterfeit software.
Once the page loads, it will ask you to sign in with an existing Microsoft ID, or create a new one. You can use your own email address for this. Once the sign up is complete, you need to open the link on the email that is sent and sign in. This will activate you office account.
You can then click on the Install button on the webpage that loads. A small file will download, click Run once the option appears. Office will start installing for you.
If you change computer, you can take the license with you. Just remove from the old device and install on the new one. There is no limit to the machine you move the software to, but it can only be installed on one.
I think Office 2013 Home and Business is a great step forward, and having the software associated with a Microsoft Account means you don't have to keep DVD's of software in a safe place, all you need is an internet connection and the login details (you can always reset these if you forget your password too).
on 1 June 2015
Microsoft's paranoid obsession with protecting their IPR from the tiny minority of users who seek to use it without paying causes real productivity problems for those of us who are more than happy to pay a premium for productivity. It says something about Microsoft that they are content to put the majority of their honest users to such inconvenience simply in order to catch out a tiny minority of abusers. (I have (in my company) very many Microsoft licences.)
The absurd reliance on download of vast files instead of common sense issuance of hard media product might do something to protect Microsoft from a few unscrupulous users, but it costs the great majority of law-abiding users problems, and for a sizeable minority in the UK with broadband speeds unable to support a 1GB download, serious problems.
The moronic insistence of Microsoft email address for registration is equally disruptive. It doesn't work properly, doesn't take account of multi-PC usage, needs reversion to typing in Key code anyway. And if every App on each PC required an email address of its own from the manufacturers, it would require every user to have scores of useless, unused email addresses like their Microsoft email address just for the purpose of activating each software package. This gross arrogance has overstretched itself - many of us resent such a vacuous imposition.
In fact, the only reason I bought this particular licence this time was because I made the mistake of getting an online fix of my Excel 2013 (a small bug which could not find a temporary file on startup) and the blasted thing reinstalled Office 2013 without my asking, whereupon it then asked for the licence key - which I had lost. (Yes, my fault, but if it had been printed on a DVD or DVD insert paper I would probably not have.) That will teach me to allow Microsoft to fix a bug in their own software - it has cost hours. And guess what? It comes up almost immediately with the same error but a different filename.
Microsoft desperately need competition on Office. They're bloated and complacent.
on 14 November 2014
Having used Professional versions of the Office suite for many years I opted for this on my new Windows 8 laptop. I definitely do NOT want Office 365 and went for this version as it includes the old familiars Word, Excel and Powerpoint, plus Outlook. It's expensive , especially since Windows 8 comes with built-in Mail and Calendar, but gives me better compatability and minimum learning curve.

Microsoft have gone for a radically new approach to installation, closely mimicking Apple. Essentially you are forced to crate a Microsoft account if you don't already have one, and log in to Office.com to get your software. instead of selecting the software, downloading it, installing it, then entering the product key to activate it, you enter the product key up front on Office.com. Microsoft then determines which product you have bought and attempts to do the download and install for you.

In my case this was reasonably fast, since I was using a fibre-optic broadband connection, BUT the installation failed to put Office , Word, Excel, Powerpoint or Outlook on the desktop. It didn't put anything on the oh-so-annoying new Microsoft "let's pretend we're Apple" user interface.

Although there were no error messages I had no idea if the Install had worked or not, so I had to go hunting through the installed programs, working around the awful Windows 8 interface. Eventually I did find the installed programs and managed to add icons both to the "new" User interface and the underlying Desktop.

If Microsoft had stuck to the old standard of download, install and activate the whole thing could have been done in a tenth of the time. LESSON FOR MICROSOFT - If you are going to try and hide the technalities of installing software MAKE SURE YOUR NEW PROCESS WORKS! On the plus side, sorting out the mess created by Microsoft's dodgy installation mechanism did mean I learned things about Windows 8, searching for programs, the "Desktop" and the "Suirface".
on 1 September 2015
I installed Microsoft Office 2013 on my new laptop running Windows 10. I set up my email accounts and all seemed ok, even the test email were sent and received fine. However, when I sent some real email, they just sat in the Outbox. Had to contact Microsoft for support. They ran some scan and remotely fixed some errors and resolved the problem.
Then I noticed that some of the emails I received with HTML graphic were getting reduced column size. The font of the email remains as desired, but the body of the email occupies only the central third of available width. The result is a long email with a lot of white space either side of the graphics/text. Contacted Microsoft again and is trying to diagnose the issue remotely, they seem to have messed up my screen resolution setting to the point that my second screen now only works intermittently. The email issue is now with Microsoft to resolve, registered as a bug. No idea on resolution date. My Windows 7 Outlook 2010 displays the exact same emails correctly.
Outlook 2013 has been on the market for a while now, so I have reasonable amount confidence that it is bug free. I can only conclude that it has some compatibility issues with Windows 10.
on 29 October 2015
I bought and subsequently received this product on 4th April 2014 (Order ID 203-8556157-3280305 costing £169.00) from Amazon as a back up disc to my on-line downloading of MS Office 2013 which I successfully did using the product key provided. Since then my downloaded version of MS Office 2013 has worked well with Windows 8 and 8.1.
However on 16th October 2015 I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and a serious conflict occurred between MS Office and Windows 10 which prevented MS Outlook working properly. I couldn't resolve the problem using the disc sent by Amazon and had to call in my IT consultant at a cost of £125 to diagnose and fix the problem. He eventually realised he couldn't do this on site and had to remove my PC from my office for 5 days to clean the hard drive and reload both Windows 10 and MS Office 2013.
He tried to use/reload MS Office 2013 using the disc I received from Amazon but discovered, as I had, that it wouldn't work! In reading the small print on the packaging we eventually realised the disc was "For purchase and activation in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and Oceana only". WE INTERPRETED THIS AS MEANING IT WAS TOTALLY USELESS FOR USE IN THE UK.
The Amazon return period for my purchase has now expired and I've been left 'high and dry' with a product that is unfit for use and purpose in the UK.
I regard this as an incident of sharp practice and deceptive trading standards by Amazon and it has seriously undermined any future intentions I might have to buy online via Amazon again.
on 8 July 2013
Looks like Microsoft has entered a period of evolutionary change rather than step change, which helps with continuity. Means I don't need to relearn how to use their product as happened with the jump from Office 03 to Office 08. Some minor tasks have been moved which is annoying but keeps me on my toes.

This works well and is easy to install. I'm not sure about all of this packaging for a simple card with a licence number on.

I chose a stand alone licence over Office 365 because I was under the misapprehension that Office 365 required a permanent connection to the Internet to be usable. It doesn't! You can work offline with Office 365 just as easily as with the standalone version. I would consider Office 365 for my other computers in my business.

It is a bit of a change having to pay an annual fee to Microsoft just to use their software but their current pricing suggests that you can use the Office Pro version for 5 years for the same cost as buying it outright, by which time the current standalone version will be obsolete. On Office 365 you will always be on the latest version for just the annual licence fee.

This is the future of software provision, so better get used to it.
on 12 June 2014
I wonder if I should have bought this. I ordered MS Office Home and Business 2013 but the supplier sent me MS Office 2013 Professional Plus and claimed to offer me upgrade without charges. All this looked suspicious but having bought/rec'd it, I accepted it avoiding trouble for returning it. As my Ultra book has no diskdrive to run the CD, I called Windows to help me download it online using Product Key - 1st time it worked. When months later I had to reset my computer and rebooted to reinstall my same Ultrabook again - this time using a portable disk drive to run the CD, the computer/disk ran/spin for a while and then gave me error msg saying it could not find a certain source/file. I then call Windows for help to download online using product key, and was warned that my Professional Plus (based on the product code) was from some sort of corporate pack (I assume it is a license for a company with several users under one company and not for individual sale externally). ?????????????? Professional PLus is nearly £400 and Hone & Business is half that price - hence it felt suspicious how can such a generous upgrade be offered. I was told by Windows my product key is now not accepted, and could even be fined. I trusted amazon and bought in good faith legally, but I am lost as to whether I am been sent an illegal item. If the supplier read this - pls pls send me a proper and legal Home and Business pack - and on recieiving, I will send back your Professional Plus if that's ok
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 10 October 2013
You get a small box with a plastic card it is what that opens up to that is the kicker.

The interfaces of each program in Office 2013 are so pallid that it is hard to see what is written even on the darkest setting of Grey, Dark Grey or White. There might be a bright blue to tell you an email hasn't been read yet but otherwise it is so wishy washy and uninteresting.

The programmes really like their Cloud features which is intrusive to a non Cloud user (yes we do exist).

We had to upgrade - technology had moved on but I really wish we hadn't - bring back Colour Microsoft
on 31 July 2014
I bought this to load on my new desktop. What I got was not MS Office Home and Business but MS Office Professional Plus 2010 but in this case the version for IT technicians which expires after one month. This had expired long since. It was all wrapped up in the new box, and shrink-wrapped as well. Amazon accepted the return, fair play to them. I have gone back to the manufacturer of my desktop and purchased it for £22 more.
on 18 June 2017
Dumped the rip off Office 360 which I never got the hang of. Now feel at home again. Using on Windows 7 with no problems.