Customer reviews

Platform: PC|Edition: Home and Business Edition|Change
Price:£59.90 - £298.01

on 18 June 2017
Dumped the rip off Office 360 which I never got the hang of. Now feel at home again. Using on Windows 7 with no problems.
on 11 August 2017
As expected
Platform: PC|Edition: Home and Business Edition|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a whole suite of complex programs so I'm not going to go into too much detail about each one.

What you get is Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, & Outlook. Although when I say what you get, that isn't strictly true. What you actually get is a very small box containing a credit card sized piece of cardboard. This piece of cardboard has a number on it. That's all you get in the post - a piece of cardboard.

What you do then is sign in to, or create, a Microsoft account. Then you enter your product key. Only at that point do you get to download the software you have purchased. No disc, no manuals, no anything of any substance really. You can have a disc if you want but you have to buy it in addition to what you have already paid!!!!

You can download a 32 bit or a 64 bit version. I've got a 64 bit version of Windows 7 so thought the 64 bit version would do, but Microsoft issue dire warnings about using the 64bit version, so I went for 32!!!!!

I'd read a few reviews about this version of Office and most were unfavourable, so I was a little wary of installing it. I have Office 2007 on my system and I was surprised to discover that after installing Office 2013, all of my Office 2007 programs still functioned normally. Which was great because my Office 2007 suite contains Access and Publisher which are not included in this version of Office 2013.

I'm not a fan of change for change's sake and one of the things I notice about software is that every time I install an upgrade the layout changes (I guess to make me think I'm getting something new), but the functionality remains pretty much the same.

And that's exactly what seems to have happened here.

There's a complete re-design of the look of each window. Most of the colour has gone, it looks flat, it's difficult to locate icons because nothing stands out any more and there is no separation. I'm typing this in Word and because everything is white (document and ribbon) it's difficult to see where my document ends and the Ribbon stuff starts. The scroll bars are almost invisible and it all just blends together. All the other programs are just the same.

The appearance of this suite of programs is dreadful and I'm removing one star for that.

Then it took me a week to persuade Word to open up in a vaguely document shaped (portrait) format rather than the more useless letterboxy shape it seemed to prefer. Even now, a month later, it only gives me a narrow document so the first thing I have to do when I go into Word is resize the window. That's probably worth half a star.

This Office Suite seems to have been designed for use with Windows 8 on tablets and the like - though why anyone would want to use a word processor all day on a tablet I've no idea. This is a business suite used by companies in offices with proper PCs and proper keyboards. Designing for tablet functionality makes it less useful for the prime user base. I'm a writer, I need it to work on a PC at a desk with a proper keyboard.

There is also a pain in the neck page full of templates and other stuff every time you open Word, and Excel, and probably Powerpoint too. It's just really difficult to get to the stuff you want easily and efficiently. And if I want to open a file that isn't reasonably recent that's a several click process. My older version of word would remember where I last opened a file and take me back there when I wanted to open another. This version of word forgets so you have to start at the top and click down through all of your folders every single time. That's probably another half a star.

Word has also been turned into an e-Reader. I've got a Kindle App and an iBooks app on my iPad for that. I have no requirement for Word to do that. I write in word, and when I read it's generally proof reading for which I need editing facilities.

Apologies for focusing on Word, but it's the application that I use for several hours a day. I also make use of Excel and that just looks horrible but is pretty much the same as it was.

There are other little niggles and all in all the whole suite feels a bit buggy to me. Not enough to reduce its usability, just enough to be irritating.

Outlook works fine, but looks awful and there are some default setting changes that are just stupid - pale blue for the subject line - making it hard to read. Luckily if you want to waste several hours of your life on Google, you can find out how to change some of these defaults to make it look like it used to.

I much prefer Office 2007 in appearance and functionality, if you have that, or Office 2010, then it probably isn't worth the money for an upgrade.

I've had a bit of a moan because Microsoft go off and do what they want to do regardless of what its customers want and they deserve it.

That said I believe the Office Suite of programs to be the best out there. If you don't have Office then yes buy this. What it does is great and I've been an Office user since my first PC back in around 1997. I wouldn't use anything else. But this set of programs just looks dreadful and the wishy-washy appearance has actually taken away a lot of the pleasure for me when I use it.

For functionality alone it warrants 5 stars, but it's only going to get three because Microsoft have just lost touch with their user base with this implementation, and the new design is simply dreadful.
33 Comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2014
With our purchase the enclosed Product key was useless and this has been confirmed by Microsoft with us today. Be warned - don't waste your time buying it from this seller. What a shame Amazon aren't listening to their own customers and blocking this seller.
on 11 November 2013
I was sent the US version. It's obviously not something you check on the box if you order from amazon.co.uk. It took hours of phone calls to Microsoft to sort this one out.
on 1 June 2015
Microsoft's paranoid obsession with protecting their IPR from the tiny minority of users who seek to use it without paying causes real productivity problems for those of us who are more than happy to pay a premium for productivity. It says something about Microsoft that they are content to put the majority of their honest users to such inconvenience simply in order to catch out a tiny minority of abusers. (I have (in my company) very many Microsoft licences.)
The absurd reliance on download of vast files instead of common sense issuance of hard media product might do something to protect Microsoft from a few unscrupulous users, but it costs the great majority of law-abiding users problems, and for a sizeable minority in the UK with broadband speeds unable to support a 1GB download, serious problems.
The moronic insistence of Microsoft email address for registration is equally disruptive. It doesn't work properly, doesn't take account of multi-PC usage, needs reversion to typing in Key code anyway. And if every App on each PC required an email address of its own from the manufacturers, it would require every user to have scores of useless, unused email addresses like their Microsoft email address just for the purpose of activating each software package. This gross arrogance has overstretched itself - many of us resent such a vacuous imposition.
In fact, the only reason I bought this particular licence this time was because I made the mistake of getting an online fix of my Excel 2013 (a small bug which could not find a temporary file on startup) and the blasted thing reinstalled Office 2013 without my asking, whereupon it then asked for the licence key - which I had lost. (Yes, my fault, but if it had been printed on a DVD or DVD insert paper I would probably not have.) That will teach me to allow Microsoft to fix a bug in their own software - it has cost hours. And guess what? It comes up almost immediately with the same error but a different filename.
Microsoft desperately need competition on Office. They're bloated and complacent.
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2013
I've got Office 2007 at home and Office 2010 at work, so thought I'd give Office 2013 a whirl.
For home and work - all I've ever needed is Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook and this is what you get with this licence card (as well as OneNote). Glad to see that Microsoft backtracked on the original restrictions and now you can install this on your new computer when you upgrade. The package only comes with a code allowing you to download and install the Office suite and you can't be abroad when you do this.
So whats it like:
It seems a natural progression from Office 2010, more streamlined, windows 8 layout with everything looking like apps, lots of new templates, integration with facebook, linkedin, flickr etc.
Personally I hate the windows 8 layout as I find it much harder to locate stuff. Yes maybe its more geared towards the new generation of computer users who are growing up with tablets/iPads/smartphones as their first devices but for experienced users it can be annoying. I don't think its worth upgrading to Office 2013 for the casual user but if you are getting a new windows 8 computer and you want the standard Office suite then this is the way to go.
on 15 November 2014
Don't buy it! It does not work. You get a nicely packaged but blocked product key for a 2010 product. There is no way you can use it on anything as the Microsoft site doesn't accept it. I have returned it for a refund and bought a subscription to Office 365 from MIcrosoft. That's valid for 5 devices and you get Publisher too, for $8 a month.
on 31 July 2014
I bought this to load on my new desktop. What I got was not MS Office Home and Business but MS Office Professional Plus 2010 but in this case the version for IT technicians which expires after one month. This had expired long since. It was all wrapped up in the new box, and shrink-wrapped as well. Amazon accepted the return, fair play to them. I have gone back to the manufacturer of my desktop and purchased it for £22 more.
This windows 8 style interface is completely awful, takes more clicks to use than before, its unstable, uses xlsx, docx etc which adds no obvious advantages but yet ruins compatibility. 'everything slides around likes its some kind of overly fancy Apple product.

Wake up MS, people with jobs aren't sat using touch screens. Please concentrate on making things stable and productive instead of adding useless features and fancy graphics.