Customer reviews

Colour: Grape Purple/Malachite Green|Style: iPhone 5/5S|Change
Price:£5.99 - £45.89

on 27 January 2013
This is a fake Speck product, or at the best the product of a bad batch. I know it's cheaper than the Apple store and I know everyone is wary about third party sellers but I don't expect Amazon themselves to be selling fake products. There's a YouTube review where they experienced the same problems as me titled "Speck Candy Shell for iPhone 5 (FAKE ALERT!)" (I don't think I can post a link direct to it in this review but at least you guys can see the differences to try and get the right product) and I have one direct from the Apple store (but in a different colour) so I will post some pics so that anyone who's worried can know what to look out for.

Firstly the packaging they come in is both a different shape and has different information on it. The Amazon packet states "extra protection" on the dial whereas the one from the Apple store and on the Speck website say "Ultra protection". The from the Apple store states for iPhone 5 whereas the Amazon one states for the new iPhone. Lastly the internal packaging on the Amazon one is badly applied and creased.

Comparing the phones themselves, the Speck logo is thicker on the Amazon one than the Apple one. The one I ordered from here, arrived with scratches on the back and the Speck writing is not as clear as the Apple one. The rubber on the corners is thicker on and not smooth, there are ridges at the join with the hard plastic as though the moulding didn't work properly. The rubber on the inside is not as smooth, you can see where it was poured in. The holes cut out for the headphones and charger are larger on the Amazon one than the Apple and not as smooth, the rubber inside is ragged. The hole for the camera has a dent on it on the Amazon one. Lastly, when the phone is placed in the case the one from the Apple store fits snuggly, whereas the Amazon one has a gap at the bottom where the speakers are, this makes the case much easier to take on and off so I'm not sure how well it would take a drop. Whether fake or just a rubbish batch it's not up to the standards Speck usually provide.

I have contacted Amazon about this who have so far been very apologetic and helpful so fingers crossed will be a speedy resolution.
review image review image review image review image review image
44 Comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2017
best case i've had, better than apple's own at half the price
on 1 June 2017
Better than expected.
on 22 February 2016
A good solid case that doesn't add too much bulk to the phone. The only down side is that the headphone socket hole in the case stops larger headphone plugs from connecting properly as it doesn't give enough clearance.
on 29 December 2014
prompt delivery highly recommend to anyone else
on 12 March 2015
Excellent. Practical and well designed. Enhances grip on phone and not too bulky or heavy. It has form and function.
on 15 March 2014
Compared to Spigen and other cheapo case, it is certainly more expensive but it's well made and looks more attractive than other boring coloured case.
on 16 January 2013
I bought this case upon recommendation, however have only had it a couple of months and it has split on nearly all of the areas where the areas have been cut out to insert charger, headphones and put on/off silent.

Terrible product!!
on 13 December 2015
I cannot believe how well built this phone case was when I received it!

I purchased the peacock option.
I love the colour! It's a turquoise like Blue!
My favourite part of this case was the Lock and Volume buttons! So soft and it makes a very satisfying "click".

I've dropped my phone (in this case) about a dozen times! And it's holding up well... Yes it's starting to show some signs of ware and tear, but that's just like any other case... The inside of the case is a soft rubber, and so your phone is not going to get a scratch on it! That's if you wipe your phone before installing!

The camera hole does not have any issues with the flash neither material covering the camera lens. The camera functions as normal.

Overall this case is so good and I will continue to buy this case series for my phones in the future!
on 4 September 2013
I bought a Speck case for my Google Nexus 7, and despite choosing the wrong colour (blue, picks up dirt too easily) found it a well made well fitting case, so when I saw that Speck did a case for the Galaxy S4 decided to get one for this. My wife also has a S4 and has a case bought from a stall in the local shopping centre and the difference is chalk and cheese. The Speck fits superbly provides excellent protection from everyday bumps and whilst I won't risk deliberately dropping my phone from height, the case looks as if it could reduce serious damage if it was dropped. The control buttons work well and I have had no problems connecting the charger or headphones.
I would highly recommend this case for anybody with the S4.