on 10 April 2018
Meet Grace Holliday & Co.
I read the book although I did have to read and re-read places as couldn't always make sense of what I was reading for me it got confusing with all the names wanting to take part at the renactment seen at the lift.

But if you just read the story you'll get to the end 😉 it was an ok read for a freebie book so give it a go it's all down to personal choice.

Read how Grace and co get played off one another by their boss Straker so he can get to the bottom of who killed he's beloved wife Lilly. Oh then he's son in law Daniel. Can Grace workout who the bad guys are before she meets her end??
on 22 June 2015
I really like the Cozy Mystery type of story and this was no exception. I was disappointed to discover who the murderer was but not unduly surprised as I had wondered about the person in question a few times. Plenty of fast paced action and a real page turner. The boss of the company where Grace Holliday works is not a likeable character and reminded me strongly of Scrooge. Magic illusions are a key part in this detective story but I won't say how they save the day as this would spoil things. If you enjoy easy read mysteries that aren't too nail bitingly scary then you will enjoy this one.
on 6 March 2014
The story starts with the birthday party of Straker the owner of The Toy Company all his empolyees are to attend he's not a man to be ignored. But with the sudden death of his wife during the magicians show and the mystery begins suicide or murder. Grace his employee is asked by Straker to investigate. The start of the book was very confusing to many characters all at once gave up after the first 40pages don't like being defeated so went back to it. It did get better, a light mystery, with a twist.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 May 2015
Pleasantly surprised. There were a lot of people and relationships to get my head around but the plot was pretty good. I did guess the baddie before the end but it didn't really spoil the story. Well written and certainly entertaining. Kind of book you would take on holiday or long journeys or, as in my case, read in bed before lights out. Sounds as if the heroine repeatedly gets herself into mysteries and other scrapes and it was good enough to make me think about reading another.
on 1 July 2014
This had a promising start, and is quite intriguing in parts, but there are too many characters with too many involvements, and it is really overlong. Looking back, I still can't believe I stuck to it and finished it, perhaps out of a misplaced sense of duty, and, to be fair, the denouement is well done. Cut it by two-thirds, get rid of all the extraneous material and it has the makings of a riveting read. Less would be more, in this instance.
on 13 August 2015
The first couple of chapters were promising but it deteriorated rapidly and I had to concentrate in order to avoid drifting off, which is never a good sign. The characters were shallow and the unraveling of the cumbersome plot seemed to take forever. Sorry, I couldn't engage with this story at all.
on 30 July 2015
I loved the plot, it was a real page turner, lots of suspense and intrigue and twists and turns. I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 because the characters lacked a bit of depth, it felt very much like a stage play rather than a novel, which was fun, but did not help in relating to the characters. I like a bit more description and detail. However, the story telling was exciting enough to make me want to read more by this author.
on 22 March 2016
It is light and easy going for a murder story.

The characters are well crafted. We follow the characters through the investigation to a very surprising reveal.

This book is the first in the series and starts it off with a bang.
on 29 April 2018
A very well written story that captivates and holds the readers attention. A truly great read.
on 31 August 2014
A thoroughly enjoyable and well-written book. The characters were believable, the plot a little quirky, and although I guessed who the culprit was I wasn't entirely sure until the end and was very surprised by the added twist. The book even seemed to have been proof read! I will read more by this author.