on 26 December 2013
I chose this 2 DVD set for the 1935 version because Charles Laughton (Hobson's Choice, Tuttles of Tahiti) was in it. I thought the 1952 version was almost an unknown 2nd division afterthought according to many reviews.

I watched the 1935 version on Christmas eve and enjoyed it. Being unfamiliar with the story, I was a little confused at times at what seemed to be jumps in the natural continuity of Valjean's life throughout the story. I did not appreciate the much speeded-up horse and carriage escape sequence either.

In contrast I thought that the 1952 version, which I watched on Boxing Day, was fantastic. The acting, the story-telling and the cinematography were outstanding. I think that I will watch this version more often than the classic 1935 version.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2013
Two excellent films for the price of one. The Fredrick March version is a classic. I'd seen it before & was glad to now have it on dvd. The Michael Rennie version I'd never heard of before. I didn't think he could carry it off, as he is in my opinion, quite aristocratic. But I have to say he does a marvelous job, being equally convincing as the poor Jean Valjean, & the later successful one. Both films are well worth a look. Both are thoroughly enjoyable & entertaining.
on 17 April 2013
two films though i bought this item for the earlier version-which was v atmospheric and a joy to watch... i WILL get round to watchin the 2nd cd.. if its awful i will return and add to this comment... but, at this price, this package is worth psching for the 1st version alone.. the 2nd cd is a bonus.. :))
on 14 February 2013
Old cinema at its best! Fantastic film full of sentiment. The tragedy and happiness of Jean Valjean's life are portrayed wonderfully here in Hugo's bittersweet tale of injustice set in the background of the French Revolution. Wonderful
10 people found this helpful
on 15 December 2017
fantastic.
on 16 June 2013
I've enjoyed both adaptations very much, although I preferred the 1935 one due to great acting by Fredric March and Charles Laughton (who was a perfect Javert in my opinion). I only wish both films were longer and covered the book extensively.
If you like the classics, you will be pleased with this double pack. And at the current price it's a bargain.
on 24 March 2013
the recent production, musical, was disappointing poor singing and chorus work. These 2 classic well acted and presented drama productions are a real joy to watch with splendid performances from all
on 20 February 2013
Always has been a great film and I feel that these two versions are still the best and I have enjoyed watching them again. The quality is excellent and I would recommend this DVD pack to anyone.
on 13 March 2016
Wonderful to have two versions of Les Miserables, My preference is for the 1935 Version.
on 11 February 2017
thank you for this dvd. look forward to watching with great interest. thanks for prompt delivery