on 24 December 2012
I have always liked this song but this girl has made it wonderful. It reminded me of the first time I heard Eva Cassidy on the radio and I had to stop the car to listen. This girl's voice evokes the same reaction she is so individual it's so refreshing.
on 23 July 2016
Love Gabrielle Aplin
on 10 November 2012
The first time I heard this, it almost brought me to tears. Her voice is something so rare nowadays- pure and unedited. I love the original of this song, but wow do I love this version too! Smooth, sultry tones and that high note at the end of the chorus- AMAZING!!
I hope she gets some serious recognition for this- she absolutely brilliant and she deserves it.
on 10 December 2012
This is a beautiful song ~ I'm old enough to have loved and bought it when Frankie Goes to Hollywood recorded this way back in the 80s.

BUT GABRIELLE APLIN'S version is hauntingly moving. It evokes such emotion, bringing me out in goose bumps and could even evoke a few tears just from the sheer beauty of her voice.

Yes, I buy CDs, but this is my first ever MP3 download, I just couldn't wait even a minute to own it, and I just know this won't be my only purchase of music by Gabrielle Aplin - STUNNING.
on 29 November 2012
This song is oustanding! My wife and I adore it.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood performed the original, which was brilliant and nobody can take that away form them. This is just a different way of expressing such an iconic beautiful song.

Gabrielle Aplin has a fascinating and unique voice which captures the full emotion of the song; an absolute pleasure to listen to!
on 15 November 2012
Okay, it's the music from the John Lewis advert. So one might be excused for thinking its a little bit too commercial.

And it's Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Some might say that their work is sacred and can only be sung by them. They are not a band to be imitated. Their impact on 1980s pop culture is huge and some might say better left alone.

But this really, really works as a cover version. It's simple. It's evocative. It's emotional.

It's quite a beautiful record.
on 15 December 2012
The original by Frankie Goes to Hollywood always reminds me of Christmas.

But this beautiful cover brought me to tears, beautiful and haunting worthy of the number one slot in the UK charts.

xx Hopefully more to come from this amazing talent.
on 13 December 2012
Superb version of this classic song beautiful harmonics & haunting music fabulously sung a real christmas cracker sent shivers down my spine.
on 1 May 2013
I decided to listen to this after hearing Please Don't Say You Love Me and the Home EP by Gabrielle Aplin, both of which are brilliant. To be honest, this song left me cold. When writing and singing her own songs, she's truly in her element but here she's taken a very good song and stripped it of a lot of the power and emotion that made it so moving.

It's not the worst song I've ever heard and the piano playing is very good but her voice sounds too processed for this kind of music and is too loud in the mix, drowning out the music. This version is also a little monotonous. The original has some moments of incredible beauty where the music swells or softens but here there is very little variation and consequently, to my ears, it sounds a little flat.

I would definitely recommend her other work though and I have pre-ordered her album. Everyone has off days.
on 1 March 2013
Exquisite and very heartfelt song. The piano at the beginning is delicate and complementary to the gentle, warm voice that sings across it with a clarity that makes you fall it love with it. I'm looking forward to future hits from this very talented lady!