on 9 September 2013
Set in the mean valleys of South Wales in the 1930s, this nostalgic memoir is great fun. It is really about how the author's love of books was nurtured by eccentric friends. We all need mentors to encourage our youthful interests, and the author clearly had the right ones for him. The characters are described with tender humour so they leap from the pages.
on 11 January 2013
Wonderful read so many ..memories came flooding back. I was born ln Tonypandy in 1937 so went on many of these trips in the late forties and early fifties but never Tenby just Barry and Porthcawl. Mr Humphries has written a superb account of a place and time where life was hard but full of what's most important to a child,,love,friendship and humour.
on 4 January 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed the book and the community spirit and characters of times past - oh for the same today. I am not Welsh, but having lived in Wales and been down the mine - Soviet free now, l also agree Cornwall has the same community spirit, and assume rod lives in st lives.
on 14 January 2013
One of the better written books of this type I have read. It actually made me laugh out loud in places and certainly had an authentic ring to it. Just the book to read on the bus or in short snatches when you don't want to get into anything lengthy or heavy.
on 27 December 2012
Written in a similar style to the late Gwyn Thomas. You could imagine that you were sitting in your 'local' listening to the tales of the resident raconteur.
This is evocative of my own mining valley upbringing and a very enjoyable read.
on 8 March 2014
i remember going on annual club trip but to barry island and you always knew who was "top notch" in the club etc and the excitement of all the family being together on this specail day was magic
on 31 May 2013
I bought this as was heading to Tenby and like reading about a place I've been to/going to etc... An ok read overall but much more about life in the valleys than Tenby, so rather disappointed.
on 13 September 2013
A real trip down memory lane ( even as an outsider from North Wales ! ) .Fabulous intro. by Roy Noble .
Brilliantly written , and the characters certainly stand out from the page .
on 23 April 2014
This book reminded me of my own childhood .I laughed out loud ,much to my husband's embarrassment . Beautifully crafted characters ,great use of language to describe people and events .
on 19 March 2016
I had read this myself from my local library and enjoyed as it is set locally, bought this copy as an extra present on Mothers Day. Very pleased with the condition and so was my mother.