Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 March 2013
Apparently, it's quite hard to actually find trance albums these days. I assume that this may be one reason why Solarstone has set up the 'Pure Trance' guise, so that, quite simply, lovers of trance know where they stand. Many so-called 'trance' albums these days aren't actually trance... "new trance" is actually electro, and anyone who tells me that it is trance should first listen to this album.
So, if you're in doubt, I can confirm this is indeed trance music. And overall it's a pretty good album, and provides listeners with a decent selection of what's out there in the actual (not the fake) trance world at the moment. And only one track has a horrible pitchbend in it (see Anjunabeats 10 review) which is, probably not by coincidence, the worst track (No Man's Land - watch out, it spoils the album).
By and large, we're presented with a trance mixture as opposed to a trance mix. Those who like their album mixed may be disappointed, and in places this makes it a little disjointed. Most trance albums are mixed, but this is an exception, and I'm not sure I like it.
Nevertheless, the tracks themselves are of most importance and overall they are good. We have classic trance in all its forms, with some focusing on driving basslines and beats, others with dreamy, uplifting yet emotional trance vocals like the brilliant Lemon (track 3, CD1). Perhaps my other favourite is Vueltas by Steve Brian, a really melodic number but with a really energetic body to it. I also love the 2012 remix of Solarstone's Seven Cities; the original was one of those tracks that got me into trance in the first place.
I wouldn't say this album ever quite hits the heights of Solarstone's two Electronic Architecture albums (which are stunning and a must-buy), but still, it is refreshing to listen to an album that sticks to its guns and actually plays trance.
Solarstone is really emerging as the future of trance at the moment. And I really hope that, unlike many other artists, he sticks to this. People are still making good quality trance, despite what some of the main labels suggest. And why fly the flag for pure trance versus 'new' fake trance? Because Pure Trance has passion, energy and real uplift that 'new' fake trance just doesn't give you. Trance, as a genre against all others, is one of the best for expressing emotion and allowing listeners to experience this emotion too.
88 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2013
well said,i agree in everything said,i have just bought pure trance v2 and its stays on a level term all the way through,i am now gonna buy v1,pure trance v2 just has a happy vibe all the way through not ony 1 but both cds on this compiliation,recommened it to any trance lovers,happy listening guys.........
on 12 February 2015