Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 3 January 2015
Great novelisation of the Hammer movie. Hutson tries to remain faithful to the original movies which he has adapted for Hammer. I must confess that I doubt that I would have read the books had Hutson not penned them, though I am glad that I did as they very readable.
on 6 February 2014
I liked this book. I enjoyed the movie. It is and adaption of the classic Hammer Film of the same name. This is not a straight novelization of course, I'd be boring if it were, perfectly faithful to the movie of course, but boring.
some of the changes make sense, giving the characters back stories and hence more characters, resolving some plot holes from the film, telling us how Frankenstein befriended Carl, we get a lot more insight into Carl's life. Others don't: bits of dialogue are changed around causing them to loose their edge, characters are merged, scenes are moved about, characters are added for no reason, changes are made for the sake of it.
For example - there is a Doctor Brandt in this story that was never in the original film now there was A Dr. Brandt in a later movie, perhaps this was a bit of a nod to that later movie, maybe explaining how he lost his mind, no, instead he dies, the character attend his funeral and that's where Dr. Hans Kleve realizes who Frankenstein really is, however in the film he instead recognizes him from the funeral of a man who died in the first film. Now perhaps this was changed because it is only a novelization of the second film, not the first, but then the later mention that character by name several times, so why change it?
It also totally ruins the blackmail/uncovering scene form the movie, of course it makes more scene for Frankenstein to pull a gun on the man threatening to expose him, but the movies scene was better, again change for the sake of change.
Also Frankenstein isn't like he was in the movie, can you imagine Peter Cushing muttering scum under his breathe every time he treats his patients, I can't, even if his character look down on his patients he's not going to talk to them like that and have them walk off depriving him of their organs for his creation.
I'm probably just nitpicking but the changes annoy me.
I was going to give this book 3 stars but after reading the Authors foreword and seeing his passion for the old Hammer filsm I decided to give it a 4 star review.
Ok but i didn't like all the changes.
on 29 January 2014
l brought this book for my husband to read on holiday and he finished it in two days and thoroughly enjoyed it, he is a real fan of this author.
Whilst I'm not always enamoured of the Hammer titles, when an author gets a tale to recreate for the modern reader that they clearly love you know that its going to be something special. Here in his retelling of this Hammer classic, the reader is given a story that they'll really get behind as Victor returns to doing what he does best. Its definitely a story that will have you clutching the covers, back that up with a sympathetic take on the Baron's own motives and all round make this a book that I sat back enjoying until sunrise the following morning with the light of day bringing a close to this chilling story.
on 18 April 2014
thought shaun hutson had retired or somrthing. this is a great return from a master of terror, good to have him back
on 21 June 2014
excellent book to read. cudn't put it down after 1st 10 pages. great author. read it at midnite like horror films
on 7 September 2013
I have been a fan of this author for many years and have enjoyed most of his books. However these Hammer stories don't do it for me. Thet are tame and boring by todays standards. Shaun Hutson is better than this, I can only assume he's getting paid plenty for rehashing these stories. I don't even think the writing is up to standard. There is some of the Shaun Hutson we know missing. As soon as he gives writing these up and gets down to some serious writing the better.. I wont be reading anymore of these..
on 31 July 2015
Really good book. Love Shaun Hutson and have read all of him books so far!
on 4 June 2013
Very boring? not one of his best that is for certain.Started off well then went down hill very fast,i will wait for his next one?
on 24 February 2015
Not his usual gore but a great read and enjoyable book