Customer reviews

Fab cd as expected.
on 9 November 2017
Absolutely fine
on 11 September 2013
Music is to be enjoyed and I enjoy listening to this live CD, kept it playing in my car for a very long time.
on 22 March 2017
Great cd and dvd. Good value.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 March 2016
There was minimal information about the video/audio information on the back cover.

VIDEO:

The set features the headline concert filmed at London's Royal Albert Hall on 11 November 2012. To my pleasant surprise, the video was in 2.40:1 (rare for concert, usually 1.78:1). What a big difference here, when the entire picture fills up my 12 foot wide screen (usually anamorphic lens). This MPEG-4 AVC 1080i transfer is top-notched. There are lots of details, including every strand on Emeli’s hair. You can also count the number of eyelashes on closeups. You can also read the word tattoo on her chest, plus the beautiful picture tattoo on her right forearm. There was also good contrast. Skin tone was spot-on. The blacks were inky, like Emeli’s shoes. Colour was good, especially the red jacket that Emeli wore during the 2nd half of the concert. Top-notched video. (5/5)

AUDIO:

My heart sank when I read on the back cover that the audio was Dolby Digital (that reminded me of the recent disastrous Rihanna concert). To my second pleasant surprise, the menu listed DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, which I chose. No Dolby Digital. The sound is even more outstanding than the video. Emeli Sande’s pure voice simply soared. All the different instruments are clearly defined, including a string section, including violin, viola & cello, a percussion section, piano & organ, guitars and drums. Each instrument sounds clean, forming a great back-up to Emeli’s singing…never overwhelming. The bass guitar by James Beatt was outstanding. Jonathan Tuitt played a thunderous drums, that gave me two subwoofers a great workout. The backup singers are also outstanding. The sound is simply heavenly. (5+/5)

CONCERT:

I have compiled a detailed song listing (including chart position, year & personal comments), which is as follows:

01 Daddy (UK 21/2011)
02 Tiger
03 Where I Sleep
04 Breaking The Law
05 Enough (new song)
06 Pluto (new song)
07 My Kind Of Love (UK 17/2012)
08 Abide With Me (UK 44/2012)*Emeli’s pure voice with the cello – pure heaven!
09 Clown (UK 4/2012)*Emeli started to play her piano, which she called Iris; the violin backing was also very moving!
10 River*Emeli related a touching story about a 7 year old kid from foster home attending her concert; the piano & organ accompaniment were superb!
11 I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free*this is Emeli’s tribute to Nina Simone
12 Suitcase*pure singing backed only by the excellent bass guitar by James Beatt
13 Read All About it (Pt. III)(UK 1/2011)*rapper Professor Green brought the entire audience to their feet; she sang in the closing ceremony, Summer Olympics 2012
14 Wonder (UK 10/2012)
15 Mountains*song inspired by her parents
16 Heaven (UK 2/2011)*used in Summer Olympics, 2012
Encore:
17 Beneath Your Beautiful (UK 1/2012)*duet with Labrinth; the song is simply beautiful
18 Maybe
19 Next To Me (UK 2/2012; US 25/2012)*this last song simply brought the house down! I remember she sang it on Dancing With The Stars too; I normally prefer the studio version, but this live version is a great exception, full of life, joy and vibrancy.

EXTRAS: Our Version of Events (from the road). One gets an inside look into her tour in UK. She looked much much younger without make-up.

Concert: (5+/5)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

2011 was Adele’s year, but 2012 belonged to Emeli Sandé. Her CD “Our Version of Events” was the Number 1 selling CD in UK for the year 2012. I strongly recommend that you buy the Deluxe Edition with 5 more songs. (my review elsewhere). On stage, Emeli reminded me of a mature and elegant Miley Cyrus. (I must have been influenced by her hairstyle) Her singing was a combination of Whitney Houston, Mary J. Blige, Etta James and Nina Simone, all rolled into one. This is one of the best blu ray concert releases this year. Capitol Records did a great job releasing this set in North America only. In UK, they have to buy the US import. Both the video and audio are top-notched, and the entire concert is very entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable. If you were lucky to attend Coldplay concert in Toronto in 2012, you will no doubt be impressed with her performance then. If you are not familiar with her, I suggest you listen to her CD first. Then you will enjoy and appreciate this great concert even more. Of course, this blu ray set is very highly recommended.

It should be noted that for some unknown reasons, this Blu-ray concert is only available in North America, but not in UK. In UK, it is available as a combo CD+DVD.
on 10 October 2013
This CD/DVD combo is worth more than 5 stars. The sound is excellent for both CD & DVD.The vocals are beautiful, the band is stunning, the guests Prof Green & Labyrith adds more excitement to the applauds of a fully packed Royal Albert Hall.I just love all the songs mainly because of the beautiful voice of Emile Sande and the meaningful lyrics with all the tracks. The song "read all about it " has become a national anthem all over the world even in most tv commecials, movies, let alone talent search new musicians e.g.X Factor and Idols etc. The track "river" was an unexpected find for me, i like its poetrical lyrics ....I be your river I will do the running for you...I will move mountains for you....i will keep you floating......until you find the sea...wow!!! this great. The song "beaneath your beautiful" is a very coy naughty beautiful song. The "suitcase" song is stunning & sad at the same time when you imagine things that way.The spiritual song "I wish I knew how it feels to be free" is a very sublime rendition when I think how Nina Simone used to do it with her baritonial feminine voice and but then Emile sings it like an angel with a sweet voice. The song "next to me"has become such a big success for Emile & it was the one which she sang to close the show to a rupt standing ovation that lasted for a long time. All in all a MUST for all music fans.Thank you Amazon for selling this beautiful CD.
on 14 March 2014
The Olympics could not have been so wrong. Such a stunning voice and personality and am desperate to like her music but its so tuneless.
on 25 April 2013
I bought this from Amazon after loving the "Our Version of Events" bonus CD.

TBH I planned to purchase this then sell it on Ebay to re-coup my money (times are hard!) BUT I am firmly holding on to this.

The whole performance is amazing. It really is. Emeli has obviously chosen some of the best musicians and backing singers in the world and the quality of the sound is amazing, both on the DVD and CD. Crystal clear vocals and totally balanced orchestrations.

Even as a bloke I found myself in tears at some of the performance and if you don't shed a tear at her live performance of "Suitcase" you need to follow the yellow brick road as you have no heart ;-)

Just LOVE the backing vocals (all three singers are amazingly talented) on all of this, really adds so much to the tracks. "Daddy" makes your hair stand on end at the beginning and believe me, it just gets even better as the concert progresses.

Emeli comes across as not only beautiful in her appearance but also in her heart and it is so refreshing in this world as it is now.

Can't wait for her to tour again as I'll be queuing at the door or online to get a ticket.
on 29 March 2013
I wanted to buy Emeli Sandé's CD because I'd heard her on the radio and thought it was pretty good, and wanted to discover more. When I saw there was a brand new DVD... and I think it's great to discover music when you SEE them too.
And what a discovery: not only is Emeli a great great singer. she is also supported by great musicians and singers, and the show is really professional. And also some guest stars ! Since I saw the show, I also downloaded Labrinth's 2 hit songs. Great duet on stage !
you sense, of course, that she is still at the beginning of her career, and she shares that sensible emotion with the audience, but all this makes her so reachable and simple. I would definitely advise you to buy the dvd (ok, it's live and not studio versions) as there is much more to experience than on a CD.
5 stars is a lot (I like to keep it at 4...) but I haven't seen such a heartwarming music-dvd for some time.