on 20 March 2013
For the amount paid for this megapack the quality of the writing and contents of the stories
have been exceptional. I wouldn't have chosen Charles Dickens or Wilkie Collins but have thoroughly enjoyed
the experience.
on 7 February 2013
A very good read, some stories better than others The story Moonstone was especially riviting I could,t put it down
on 30 January 2013
I really enjoyed most of the short stories in this collection. Most were unknown to me, and I suspect to others who read this type of short story. From the heyday of the magazine and the serial, this collection of yarns is good to dip into on a winter's night. Some of the authors are still familiar names; most are not now remembered. My only criticism is the bias towards American writers and settings.
on 12 October 2015
I would say there was a variety of stories, some good, some not bad, and some very quickly read so I could move on and forget them. The actual Victorian Mystery couldn't by any stretch of the imagination be called a 'short' story - it went on for ages and ages and ages, and while I like historical mysteries and mysteries with twists, this one took an awful long time to get to the point as there were so many characters introduced chapter after chapter. It was about a missing diamond and went into who could have taken it, why that person would have taken it, and who else had motive and opportunity to take it. I had to finish the story (I've started so I'll finish) of course but found myself cursing under my breath every time I went back to find out about this "bloody missing diamond", to the point where it became a chore and towards the end I wasn't sure I really cared amymore who took it or why. However, I got to the end and without being too uncharitable, I will only indicate that it wasn't one of Charles Dickens' finest.
on 1 February 2013
Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, Ph.D., LL.D., F.R.S., M.D., M.D.S. is a sort of experiment on the part of the author: what if there was such a person ... ? Dusen's prime (though not sole) characteristic is his commitment to reason above all things, much in the vein of the better-known Sherlock.

He has not the charisma of Holmes (but I wonder if that's not prejudice on our part?), and there is no Watson character in the stories I have read to date. There is a distinctly European flavour to the style of Futrelle's writing (although he was an American), and a sense that one is reading a literary exercise, along the lines of something by Georges Perec, rather than a work of art. But it is none the worse for any of that, and I'm glad I've discovered the Thinking Machine!
on 17 June 2013
This is an interesting collection of stories containing many authors I have never read before. Short stories ideal for reading on journeys or perhaps just before bed.
on 24 April 2013
Getting older you look back to certain periods of time, and I must say the Victorian period has always been a favourite. Charles Dickens always a good read.
on 28 May 2013
Nice stories, well written. Good bedtime reading. Excellent price as well and very convenient for kindle. great all round. Thanking you.
on 4 April 2013
inevitably some stories are better than others, but all in all it is a good read and worth having a go
VINE VOICEon 13 December 2014
Very weak collection of stories - I only attempted the first 7 of the 25 short stories in this collection before giving up (the final two stories are the full text of Wilkie Collins's The Moonstone and The Hound of the Baskervilles, both of which I have elsewhere). Only the House of Clocks and the first third of the Bow Street Mystery were any good, I thought.