Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 21 April 2014
Romantic, atmospheric, informative, intriguing, mysterious & fascinating. Loved it ! It really kept me awake until I read the ending.
on 19 July 2017
I enjoyed the book this is the first time I have read this authors books will look out or more
on 2 November 2012
Her Only Option takes you upon a cruise ship and onto Egyptian lands where archaeologist Ross McAllister and cruise ship host Neve Dalton explore more than historical finds.

Neve has a long term boyfriend who is expecting her yes from his marriage proposal any day and Ross has just endured the disillusionment of a relationship he thought was solid. Neither expected the sparks that flew between them.

When jealousy, control tactics and vindictiveness invade, Neve and Ross have to decide just how far they are willing to go for their new found love.

And when old flames, with their own agenda in mind, reenter Neve and Ross's lives....how far can trust be stretched?

With mystery and intrigue interwoven with blackmail and secrecy, life took on a whole new dimension for Neve and Ross; one that almost led them down the wrong aisle.

Author Paula Martin has done intensive research into the Egyptian history, art and archaeological matters that brings this book to life with its details, complexity and humor. Once again, she has penned a wonderful tale incorporating a unique story line, romance and just the right amount of conflict for her characters. This is definitely a must read by the brilliant author Paula Martin.
on 13 October 2015
Up until my leap into book reviewing, my range of genres was fairly limited: I knew what I liked and dipped systematically into my favourites. Romances featured quite regularly in the rounds. But book reviewing has broadened my choices considerably (authors can be very persuasive!), which has meant my selection is wider and has, dare I say, pushed romances a little way down in the pecking order. So if a romance does come my way, I really want it to be good.

This one was. Although it did have a few of the core elements of popular romance—good-looking female, hunky-dory male, one can’t stand the other, will they get together—it had substance. There was a lot more to the story, without the typical mushiness or predictability.

Neve is a tour guide on a cruise ship and her Egyptian boyfriend is her boss’s son. Despite his persistence to make her his wife, Neve isn’t sure he is ‘the one’. An encounter with Ross, a good-looking professor of archaeology, initially compounds her feelings, but later confirms her and her boyfriend’s unsuitability when she realises she’s irresistibly attracted to him. After taking positive steps to follow her heart and a future with a man with whom she’s hopelessly in love, things take a life-threatening direction. It’s time to forget what her heart is telling her and listen to what her head is advising to save a life; it’s Her Only Option.

There was an aura of maturity about the writing that I really liked: Neve was not a brainless flibbertigibbet. The dialogue was intelligent and credible. This was the sort of writing that could push romance further up my genre preference list!

A few too many editing issues just knocks a spot off the rating, but I’m sufficiently impressed by this author to welcome more of her books into my reading list.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.
on 8 February 2013
I have read and loved all of Paula Martin's books to date. Having just read 'Her Only Option' I would highly recommend it. It is set in Egypt and it was a page turner from the beginning. There were colourful characters, there was intrigue and romance, with a good measure of twists and turns. It transported me to Egypt and I felt as though I was actually in the Valley of the Kings. A wonderful read. Eagerly awaiting her next novel.
on 19 May 2016
I fell in love with the hero, Ross, as soon as I met him. This made it easy to get into the characters straight away, and live the story with them as it unfolded. The author has a style of writing that brings the people and places to life in her novels. I've never fancied visiting Egypt, but with her descriptions I was there amongst the pyramids and feeling just as tense when .... No spoilers ! Just to say I really enjoyed this book. I went on to order and read the three books in her Irish series after reading this book.
on 15 December 2012
I really enjoyed this - a great blend of strong, believable characters, a compelling storyline, bursting with mystery, intrigue, and romance ... Well researched and beautifully set against the backdrop of the River Nile, with Egypt, both ancient and modern, adding another, absorbing dimension to the book. Would thoroughly recommend - takes you to another world, without leaving home!
on 9 October 2016
I couldn't put this book down. The knowledge and research shown by the author made you feel as it you really were sailing down the Nile and visiting the Valley of the Kings. Paula paints a vivid picture of the place and with her well drawn characters. There was romance, intrigue, ,mystery and enough twists in the story to keep you guessing until the end.
on 14 June 2013
A book that I couldn't wait until the end to find out what happened and when I reached the end I wanted more. I love books like this which I become so wrapped up in that I find myself reading at every opportunity. Another great book by Paula
on 18 November 2012
Creates the atmosphere of Egypt and Nile cruises to give a well written mystery romance. Neve is a very appealing character and I did not want to finish the book and leave her. Well done Paula.