on 9 December 2012
I'll make no bones about it I was an apologist for Lance Armstrong, and strongly denied these allegations against him, baseing my support for LA on the fact he'd never tested positive.
Until that is I downloaded and read a few pages of the USADA report, you don't need to read it all, I still maintained Lance was innocent of all charges and David Walsh was a vindictive crackpot along the lines of Robin Gardiner, a compelling story needs compelling evidence, Walsh produces it Gardiner alas does not!
It's a sordid and dirty story from which lance Armstrong only has one avenue left open to him now, come clean Lance you can no longer deny the facts, plus he comes across as a downright nasty piece of work if you cross him in any way.
Good on David Walsh et al who stuck it out knowing the truth would come out someday! Lance's apologists now rank alongside the Holocaust deniers in their blinkered views to my mind.

For further reading I'm trying to read a poorly translated copy of LA Confidentiel, the book that really rattled LA and his cohorts, not been printed here in the UK under threat of Lance sueing, whether or not that threat still holds good as the Sunday Times are looking to claim the damages paid to Lance back!
on 7 February 2013
I used to cycle a lot and follow the TDF avidly on tv in the late 80's. then I spent a lot of money and used up my holidays to go and watch it when it started in Ireland, I think in 1998. We watched it for tthree days then toured ireland for a few days with no tv. By the time I got home a week later, half the teams that we had put in so much money, time and effort to see, had been kicked out for drugs. about 5 years ago I read Armstrongs book 'its not about the bike' and thought he came across as very arrogant.
It destroyed any interest I had in the tour, so I missed all the years when Lance was winning, although I saw bits of interviews on the news where he was denying drug use during TDF press conferences.
Also I am not a regular reader of the Times so had missed David Walsh's pieces.
This little book is brilliant. i love the way its just a straight replication of each of David's relevant articles. I adore the way that most of them repeat a bit of the backstory again so that I'm not having to flip back trying to find out who the people are or where they came into the story. I have no idea how the points that David raises, like the performances of a supposedly clean Armstrong being better than the drugs-enhanced riders of previous years. How he basically 'swanned' up hills that had previous champions from years back, panting for their life and taking 10 minutes more than Lance to do it.
The signs were all there and I suspect everyone with a financial interest in the sport kept quiet because of the bullying narcissist at the middle of it all.
Well done David Walsh on having the tenacity to keep on with this all those years, shame he got shouted down by the Lance Lovers Brigade.
on 11 April 2013
If you have read Walsh's latest book Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong much of this will be familiar to you. In fact it is interesting to see how many of his newspaper articles were recycled for Seven Deadly Sins (which is a great book).

But it is still fantastic to read the original articles in context when the risk of a defamation suit was high. I don't regret buying this.

Walsh and his editors at the Sunday Times deserve real credit for being brave enough to challenge Armstrong when he was at his strongest. Lots of other journalists are now happy to pile in and attack Armstrong but Walsh was the key journalist writing in English when it was not all official. He also acknowledges how he couldn't have done this without brave people like Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreu and Stephen Swart.

Walsh is a great writer and is particularly moving writing about his son John.

If you are interested in doping in sport, doping in cycling or Lance Armstrong you should read this.
on 25 August 2013
I've now read all of David Walsh's contributions on the disgraced LA. this is a series of articles that he and colleagues produced from 1999 to 2012. As such it is often very repetitive although it rams home the message that LA was a relentless cheat and bully willingly trapped in cycling's omertà which he shored up. Tyler Hamilton and David Millar both write revealing books about their capture by the doping culture. Would Lance have been any different had he been "caught" earlier. Walsh's account suggests not. He was the problem eventually, not part of it. Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray is LA. not so much a tragedic figure as one who deliberately shapes fraudulent and corrupting outcomes. There is a story to be written about why he turned bad. Now is probably not the time. Walsh gives us enough material to draw our inferences. I was seduced by LA's hype and media adulation. He let us all down. Well done David Walsh. It must have been very very hard for you.
on 12 March 2018
Thought provoking book. Well written and put together as a Tour de France fan it did make me sad and reminded me of my dad.. I read it in one go ...thank you Mr Walsh
on 30 December 2013
I was a fan of lance and believed up until the end that he was an innocent. This book is truly a work of honest investigatory reporting requiring hard work to uncover the hidden facts and commitment to tell the truth. A total belief in correcting a corrupt cycling industry. I was shocked and appalled at some of the interviews and stories. It is a collection of reports from the paper and together they read well and present a position of fact I was oblivious to. Very well done. A good read.
on 11 July 2013
When I started reading this book after a couple of chapters I started wondering how Armstrong got away with doping for so long, but it became pretty obvious that it was simply because no one had the courage to stand up to him. Not his team-mates, not big business, not TV or print journalists. No one, that is, but David Walsh and a handful of others. Even other journalists who, one would imagine, would have it in their interest to expose any wrong-doing in the sport that they were covering turned a blind eye to what was going on. Even when they received information on Armstrong they preferred to pass it on to Walsh rather than publish it themselves. For this David Walsh is to be commended for honestly and against the odds exposing what was going on in the sport he so obviously loves. The criticisms about repetitiveness shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of this book once you bear in mind that it is a collection of newspaper articles covering the entire period of Armstrong's cheating in the Tour. Highly recommended.
on 22 May 2014
If you haven't followed David Walsh, then this collection of articles over the years are well worth reading. A document that pieces together the history of LA and Le Tour, from courtship to fall. I enjoyed the writing and the story as it unfolded, but it is not, and doesn't attempt to be, a definitive history of Lance's 7 wins and subsequent disgrace. Basically David has published this to say "see, I told you all along" and it suffers a bit because of that.
on 15 June 2015
A vile creep finally exposed, and not before time! As a cyclist I have always hated Armstrong, as for any half informed observer, it was clear what he was, a cheat! Yet. Time and time again, he used his power, influence and money to buy his way out of trouble crushing 'little' people in his wake. Even now, after his Opera confession, he is still sainted, but this book exposes the myth for the cesspit it really was.
on 4 January 2013
Like most people, I wanted to believe in lance.... So did David Walsh but he was one of the only people who suspected all was not as it seemed as early as the late nineties... Initially I was disappointed that this was a selection of articles .... I normally don't like these types of book.... But this was fantastic... A chronology of articles running from 1998 to the present day gave a zeitgeist / "spirit of the age" feel to this book as the story gradually unfolded... There is obviously some repetition inherent in this style of storytelling as Walsh refers to previous articles as the story goes on but this only added to the feeling that this was a detective story that was gradually being revealed in real time... the regular reminders of what has come before also combine to reinforce the impression that Walsh is a lawyer laying out the compelling evidence against Armstrong... This was a really good read written by a very good investigative journalist.