on 4 April 2014
After writing websites in hard coding for several years I thought it time to learn and start using the very popular Wordpress CMS. I purchased the Kindle version and displayed it on a second monitor using the extended desktop display. I also purchased a low cost hosting package from Proserveuk.com with preinstalled Wordpress. There was a minor glitch with installing plugin updates on the shared server but Proserve quickly helped me overcome it. I logged into my account and just followed the book page by page and in no time all I had a Website mapped out and running. The book is easy to follow and you very quickly learn how Wordpress works and how it can be used for writing Blogs, conventional Websites and even combined ones if you are so inclined. This really is an excellent book to have in your programming library and is of great value in helping to steer through the morass of misinformation about Wordpress on the web. I have just ordered the paperback version to have by my side which I anticipate will become well worn into the future.
on 27 October 2013
This is an absolutely EXCELLENT guide for all those of us who just want to know how to set up a basic WordPress site and get on with it! Really easy-to-follow, clear instructions with lots of helpful tips. The screenshots show more or less exactly what you will see when you actually go to set up the site, so very re-assuring for the non-technical amongst us. It takes you through everything right from the beginning of purchasing a domain and webhost to search engine configuration, spam blocking, and of course the look, design, and content of your site. I had to change my webhost in order to get up and running and had no idea how to do that, thanks to this book I sorted it all out and had a new site up and running in a weekend.
Although the book was written a couple of years ago, all the recommended bits and bobs are still out there and still very relevant. I was completely baffled watching YouTube tutorials on how to set up a WordPress site earlier this year, and ended up using some cheap editing software to make a static site instead. I wish I had found this book first and saved myself both the time and money - and ended up with a better-looking, more interesting and better search-engine placed website into the bargain! Highly recommended.
on 8 May 2015
I got this because of the good reviews, but wordpress has moved on quite a bit since this was published and updated. It certainly made me a bit more familiar with what things are, as I'm a wordpress virgin, but wordpress has upgraded itself so that the site is pretty much self sufficient, therefore you don't need to fiddle with it quite as much as earlier versions of it.
on 9 June 2014
I think I bought the wrong book for my purposes for while this book is very good at getting wordpress installed and ready to start a simple blog I don't think it is really what I needed to get a website up and running.
I am no nearer being able to create pages that look how I want them to and will have to look elsewhere I think.
It doesn't help with design in any meaningful way and after working through it I know a bit more about Wordpress but am nowhere near being able to build a simple website with half a dozen pages.
Separate chapters or sections would have helped to break things up as you go, rather than one page running into another.
If you accept its limitations then this book will enable you to at least understand Wordpress but don't expect much more than that.
on 30 October 2014
And not just for Beginners! I have been blogging in Wordpress for years and yet I found of plenty of useful tips in the book. Andy's style is simple to understand and is great if you are starting out but I found info on the SEO plugin "Wordpress SEO" very useful. This is the best SEO plugin there is and virtually every successful blog has it - but it has many confusing options and presents a formidable barrier to the beginner who of course then avoids the plugin entirely. The book is worth getting just for the simple instruction on how to configure this plugin. Very useful tips too on backing up your site and on statistics. Very good for anyone to go through this and review the settings on your blogs and check whether you can squeeze some improvements out of them!
on 29 November 2014
It's ok, but my experience is that you can achieve as much intuitively by taking the bull by the horns and just "having a go". My own "intuitive" efforts can be seen at: <www.courtoyscomplaint.info> Here I have used the Wordpress facility to "hide" the Wordpress URL behind a website address for only £12 p.a. I am a technophobe but have managed through WPs excellent platform to achieve what I believe is a pretty good end product.
on 29 January 2014
First - I'm nothing to do with author. Second - this is the first time I've bothered to do an Amazon review. Third - I've only given this book five stars because i could not give it six!

Ignore anybody saying this book is too simple or slow, or annoying. Clearly they have a comprehension issue with the word "beginner".

Simply put, I bought this book after spending £150 plus on a one day Word Press course. If I had bought it first, I would have saved myself £150. EVERYTHING that was covered on the one day course is covered in this book and the book does it better, in way more detail and way more clarity.

For a genuine beginner, this book is a no brainer.
on 2 August 2016
This is an excellent book if you are trying to learn how to build a Wordpress site. Author covers all of the essential areas to build a basic website. It's then up to you to develop and build your skills further.
Would recommend if you want to get a site up and running quickly.
on 4 November 2013
Andy has done his homework. The detail is significant. As with any new learning experience following the recommended route can be a pain, especially if you want to get your hands dirty. At the time of writing this I'm just starting to build my home page. Andy's advice to get organised and diligent is spot on. So, hard yards and good advice. Don't buy this if you expect to have an instant solution. I think the work will go on long after I have finished the rest of the book.
on 29 January 2016
Very descriptive and helpful with the basics. Instructions written around a Theme which is a shame because it's not the Theme I am using so items differ to what show on my screen. Nevertheless, the basics are explained clearly and you can work around the differences and arrive at s successful solution.