Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Sightseers [DVD] [2012]
Format: DVD|Change

on 19 September 2014
Brilliantly English. If it's the usual dreadful slapstick tripe that the Americans produce by the bucket then this film is not for you. Clever, witty, tremendously dark and very British. I loved the downtrodden Midlands accents, the dreary weather and the added fun of laughing at the scourge of Britain's roads, the caravan brigade. Dry, witty humour at its best. If you're not English, move on. If you are, then sit back and enjoy a great bit of entertainment.
on 28 February 2014
An unexpected treat. Excellent example of tight, clever and sophisticated British film making. Also very good acting from many. Thanks!
on 17 August 2013
If you think that random serial killing is funny, you'll like it. Otherwise, you may, like me have thought that it was intended to be a funny film about caravanners perhaps a more sophisticated film, in the 'Carry On' mode. It's not. It is nasty in it's storyline and the characters are profoundly and pointlessly unpleasant. Basically, the storyline is a couple driving around in a caravan killing people on their travels for no reason. For example, the running over of a random jogger with whom there was no other interaction. It was sick. I kept waiting for the laughs, which never came. I utterly fail to understand the quotes, Funny as Hell etc, from reviews on the cover. I couldn't even bring myself to give it away, I binned it.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2013
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
British black 'comedy' at its best; this is a mixture of road journey, comedy and horror. The story of the down-trodden Tina who has an oppressive/possessive mother and Chris, her boyfriend who comes with added extras.

Chris (Steve Oram) takes Tina Tina (Alice Lowe) caravanning for a week, on a journey through the British Isles in his Abbey Oxford Caravan. Tina's led a very sheltered existence which is dominated by her mother. Chris wants to show her the Crich Tramway Museum, the Ribblehead Viaduct, the Keswick Pencil Museum and the beautiful rolling British countryside. But soon into the journey is the first death. Chris is calculating and cold in his murderous assaults and Tina, exhilarated by his 'stepping out of the box', becomes dominant and goes on her own killing spree.

Even though they both turn out to be killers, one doesn't dislike them as we also see them as human beings with a good side, too. The way it it filmed is terrific and I for one would recommend it. It is gory in places, but also honest as well as brutal. I've never warmed to murderers before but I did in this film. Well made and well written.
on 15 August 2013
Sightseers tells the story of oddly matched couple Chris (Steve Oram) and Tina (Alice Lowe) as they head off on a caravan trip to see such attractions as tram museums, caverns and pencil museums. The film start is effective and low key as the couple pack leaving behind Tina's objecting and objectionable mum, who initially seems the most dysfunctional of the three. As they encounter various irritations along the way Chris's behaviour becomes more erratic and violent soon to be matched if not surpassed by Tina's. I do not generally like black comedies to be too black and this is very black - but I did enjoy this one. The violence is detailed and gory which in some ways seemed unnecessary, but arguably this is required to avoid glossing over the impact of the couples actions. Although the transition of the characters did not quite work for me in places, it was an interesting development of the plot and the film had some great dialogue and had me laughing out loud on several occasions e.g. the pencil factory postcard. I though the soundtrack was effective and expect that I will be watching this one again.
on 18 October 2014
Not sure. That one teenage son was not interested & the other went away early probably tells you what you need to know. Funny laugh out loud in places, but possibly a little too unnecessarily gory on balance. Doesn't succeed in the mick-take black humour the way that Shaun of the Dead did. Think I have to agree with the previous reviewer who said this missed the boat...
on 7 September 2013
I've just watched Sightseers:

Sightseers is a British black comedy about an odd couple who go on a caravanning holiday on an anorak tour. I have to say that I didn't find it especially funny,that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, but don't let the review blurbs fool you. It is amusing, but it's more creepy with a sense of humour than an outright comedy.

It does have quite a sinister aspect that draws you through the whole film, I also enjoyed how it didn't follow an obvious path through the story. In places it's a little sad and you're not quite sure which way the film is going to turn.

In some ways it reminded me of Natural Born Killers, but imagine the more over the top almost cartoonish nature of that film and then dowse it in British understatement and I think you get what we have here.

To sum up I liked the film, it achieves a lot with very little and it keeps you entertained all the way through.
VINE VOICEon 2 March 2013
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I didn't know anything about this film before I started watching it and after ten minutes I was ready to switch off. It was shaping up as a twee sub Mike Leigh light comedy drama...and then...It began to evolve into a delicious black comedy. Shane Meadows meets Mike Leigh meets Sam Peckinpah and don't hold back on the spurting blood! Scripted by the main characters Steve Oram and Alice Lowe. Sightseers is delightfully weird and British. A road movie featuring a Volvo towing a caravan...not exactly 'On the Road' and visting places like The Blue John caverns and the Keswick Pencil Museum...rock & roll!.
I gather the Daily Mail gave it one star. The incident at the stone circle would explain why anyone associated with that rag wouldn't like it :)
I think Sightseers will become a bit of a future cult movie like Withnail & I. Can't praise it more than that.
on 24 August 2015
all was good
on 9 February 2016
This is very dark in places. British blacker than black humour at its best. The additional appeal for me was that I had visited so many of the tourist spots visited in the film. As I lived in the Midlands for a while, I loved the accents of the main characters. Gruesome at times, so not for the faint-hearted!