TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 July 2013
I bought this when the drive on my laptop computer decided not to work, and its replacement was going to cost a small fortune. The solution was to invest in this USB drive. It comes packed simply, and with no information whatsoever. Plug it in and let the device driver install, and you are ready to start reading and writing discs.

I did find some information about the drive online, but mainly I discovered that the same drive is sold under other names by other brands. It's proved itself to be a pretty good drive. It was reliable and quick, and very quiet. I also liked the fact that it needed NO mains power supply. It got all it needs from the USB connection.

As an inexpensive way to get around a dead CD drive, it looked hard to beat for performance and price. However, after less than a year, the drive decided to stop reading CDs and DVDs. All discs are treated as blank discs. Tried it on other systems but the same problem happens. Cleaned the read-write head but made no difference. As it has no documentation with it, and no online support whatsoever, the only option is to throw it away and buy a different drive. Am unimpressed.
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2013
I have need of an external DVD drive on rare occasions for my Macbook Air, when I'm away from home and the remote disk facility on the MBA is not an option. Equally although I love Apple kit, their external DVD drive was just too expensive for occasional use. So after some research I picked this drive.

It has not quite got the elegance of the Apple version and the case is all plastic, but overall it works well. It needed no drivers or software, it worked straight out of the box. It is only USB 2 but seems to run more than fast enough to be able to watch movies with it without buffering.

It seems slightly sensitive to the quality of the discs you put in it, some seem to be slightly out of balance, which results in the drive being quite noisy at times. I've not had cause to burn a disc yet so can't comment on its abilities in that department, as soon as I have I'll add to this review

Update December 2013

I've been using this drive for some time now and it has been fine. The one thing that has remained a mystery is how to put it into AV mode so that you can use it as a DVD drive into a TV with a USB socket. The instructions say to open the tray and then press the close/ eject button lightly twice. That is not the case as far as I can tell, one of the other reviewers here has it right, open the tray and then hold the eject button in for more than 3 seconds, the drive light on the front lights up for several seconds and it is then in AV mode, to change it back to computer drive mode repeat the process
on 19 February 2013
Bought for my daughter in order to load software onto her iMac. Performed perfectly. Well satisfied. Would recommend this for the same pupose.
on 12 April 2015
So I looked at this little cheap writer from Samsung
Though the price made me a bit apprehensive
I thought I would buy it and give it a go
As the Apple one was just so expensive.

It pretty much is what it says on the box
Which I guess is hardly surprising
Coz if it wasn’t a slimline DVD writer
They’d be in trouble for false advertising.

It arrived really quickly, and it looks pretty nice
Taking up little space on the table.
Installation was simple, it’s really quite quiet
And the DVDs I’ve burned all seem stable.

I think that it cost me about twenty pounds
(Which I’d say was a pretty good price)
Because overall I’m really quite happy with this
Fantastic little compact device.
on 28 September 2015
Does exactly what it says it does. I use this with my Macbook Pro Retina and it works a treat. You need to open the door with the computer application rather than on the unit itself, but hey that is no problem and nothing I wouldn't do anyway.

Good value for money.
on 7 May 2017
Excellent Item and service!
Delivered on time with good packing!
Very much pleased with the purchased! A good quality product as expected!
on 20 April 2017
Have had this product for 4 years and still works perfectly! I use it for my imac.
on 26 April 2014
Item was delivered on a bank holiday so impressed with the delivery service for one.
I chose this item as i didn't need the internal dvd drive in my PC as everything is stored on HDD or SSD these days so it being as small as it is and external i can easily switch this item from my PC if i need and my TV upstairs so i can watch films rather than having a chunky dvd player. the only cable being the usb cable keeps the setup nice and simple too.
on 11 October 2014
Obtained it at a great price and it just plugged into and loaded up automatically with my iMac computer. Does what it says on the box, so I am pleased.
on 28 June 2017
power source is via the USB cable and it just won't manage to read more than one CD before it quits. Waste of money.