Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 14 March 2015
I quite enjoyed this book.
Having been to Crete a couple of times I have a love of Greek islands.
The stories were interesting, but would have benefited from more information about the author's involvement with the introduction of mass tourism, which was hinted at, but never explained properly.
I would recommend this if you want a nice, easy read.
on 25 March 2015
The author is an old school acquaintance!!! When reading the reference to the Lamonts, couldn't help but wonder if his Tenant had been Lawson (another future Tory Chancellor) werewolf Nigella have been now???
on 23 June 2013
Really enjoyed these reminiscences of a Crete before mass tourism descended. As an Hellenophile, i love reading about Greece and these stories stayed with me. It does seem a bit disjointed in places but I would recommend this book to anyone who likes trevelling, it's a great beach read or one of those books just to read in the garden should we get some sun.
on 1 August 2013
Having visited Crete and read writings by Brits about the island, it was good to get the perspective of someone already living in Greece with Greek heritage. It is a collection of interesting stories about life and events but the book would have been more enjoyable with a more developed background story. I had too many questions about the author's motivation and experience of buying and developing properties and his visits to the island, and was left slightly dissatisfied.
on 24 March 2013
I enjoyed this ,being familiar with Crete and a regular visitor over thirty years or so. I ,like the author have a holiday home there now and can identify only too well with the encroachment of modern unsympathetic development development on traditional village life.
His descriptions of customs and endearing local characters ring true and his love of the island is evident in his descriptive passages.A must for anyone who loves this island and its idiosyncratic people

His
on 14 July 2013
Slightly more serious than some I have read but enjoyable, for all that. I would have liked more background information about the author instead of having to 'Google' him. It seems he is quite passionate about Crete's past and I wish him well in his endeavours to get the Elgin Marbles back where they belong. The 'anecdote'(?) about a palace being found, looted and then bulldozed down is extremely disturbing.
on 26 December 2012
This is an easy book to read about Crete; a must read for those who want to understand Crete. Lots of anecdotes you will not find anywhere else. Being a Cretan in exile, I enjoyed it very much. Well done Alexis. M2ungu
on 28 July 2013
just spent two weeks in Crete returned home to read this funny book which brought back memories and helped count down the time to our next visit in four weeks time.
on 29 May 2016
Didn't entirely work for me, love Crete and the writer's affection for Crete comes through too but some other attitudes I didn't like too much.
on 31 March 2014
riveting, funny in parts very very enjoyable i would read any other Greek books by this author. more of the same please.