1,212

on 25 October 2011
Not quite as adventurous as hoped for but still a superb album.The orchestrations and choral backing are wonderful and the guests...the Puppini sisters,and Shania Twain are welcome additions to the festive songs. Standouts are HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS,CHRISTMAS BABY WON'T YOU PLEASE COME HOME,AVE MARIA,FELIZ NAVIDAD(especially good) and one new song COLD DECEMBER NIGHT.There are fifteen tracks on the CD running almost the hour so extrememly good value even if a few of the tracks have been released before. I suppose I expect more and was even considering only four stars, but there are Christmas plums in the vocals and as I listen more I know I will appreciate this album than so many other Christmas releases.
I can well understand why some people would be angry about this special edition as they would have to shell out again purely for the bonus tracks. For those of us that didn't buy the first version though, this is a Christmas treat.

Michael Buble sings many classic songs here as though he is genuinely enjoying it and this is one Christmas album that is sure to be played for many years to come. Highlights are 'Silent Night', 'Ave Maria' and Silver Bells' which showcase what a fine voice he has. The songs where he sings with other people work well but Shania Twain's vocals are weak on 'White Christmas' and she sounds as though she is in pain as she struggles reaching the notes.

'Christmas(Special Edition)' is a must buy for fans of seasonal music but it is a bit of a rip off if you bought it last year.
With guests including but not limited to the Puppini Sisters (Jingle bells, Frosty the snowman), Shania Twain (White Christmas) and Thalia (Mis Deseos / Feliz Navidad), this album is the kind of album we have come to expect from Michael Bublé. There is one original song here, co-written by Michael with Alan Chang and Bob Rock, that being Cold December night. You might have heard every other song here before, but Michael and his supporting team bring their own distinctive touch to each of them, sometimes staying with an easy listening sound, but veering towards jazz at other times, especially when joined by the Puppini sisters.

The real surprise to me was the inclusion of Santa baby, originally made famous by Eartha Kitt and recorded by many female singers in the years since. Even Madonna recorded it (for the first A Very Special Christmas), but I don't ever remember hearing a male version before. Then again, male versions exist of Stand by your man {the three that I know about are by David Allan Coe, Lyle Lovett and Elton John), so I shouldn't be surprised really. Michael wisely changes the lyrics to sing Santa buddy, and it works well with that modification.

On the ever-popular Silent night, Michael is superbly backed by a children`s choir. I understand that this is the most-recorded Christmas song in the world and it's hard for anybody ro do a really distinctive version while maintaining the feel of the song, but Michael and the children did well. Michael put in another fine performance on Blue Christmas, recapturing the spirit of Elvis in his own way, by jazzing it up.

Apart from the tracks already mentioned, I particularly like those that I hear less frequently (relatively speaking; they are all very familiar to me), such as It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, A holly jolly Christmas, All I want from Christmas is you (originally written and made famous by Mariah Carey) and Christmas (baby please come home), the classic Phil Spector original.

I've mentioned most of the tracks here, just leaving I'll be home for Christmas, Ave Maria (with an adult choir), The Christmas song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire), Winter wonderland and Silver bells, all of which Michael performs superbly without doing anything radically different with them.

This is an excellent Christmas album, with plenty of familiar songs but enough variation to keep it interesting.
on 24 November 2011
Michael buble music at his best - sounds like i,ve gone back in time to the Sinatra, rat pack days and definitely makes you feel christmassy!
on 13 November 2011
The quality of the recordings on this album are fantastic , sung beautifully , not messed around with too much as some singers tend to do.
Downloaded as an mp3 with the intention of burning a CD so that i could listen to it while driving my car , only to find out that i am unable to make a hard copy! Had it been made plain that this was copy protected as his other albums are i would have bought the original version
on 24 October 2011
Fab - all the old favourites, with some great new versions of the classics. There is music for all the family on this album. Favourites are White Christmas and It's Beginning to Look a Like Christmas - any fan of Home Alone will understand why.
on 11 November 2011
When I first saw this advertised I thought'not another christmas cd' but after listening to it I have to admit its great!
A lovely album,very relaxing and easy to listen too,I have had it playing non stop and its still 44 sleeps until christmas. Cant wait to play this on christmas eve while I am busy preparing for christmas day.
:-)
on 19 November 2012
I would like to point out that the bonus tracks on this CD came out last year (2011) on his limited CD and DVD edition, all that is for The Christmas Song which came out on his Call me Irresponsible 2 disc tour edition. So if you have both CD's please do not buy this as you are wasting your money.
on 19 November 2012
Don't get me wrong, this is an ace album (or at least the one that came out last year was!). Made all the difference to the fact you hear the same (great and not so great) songs every year - was nice to have a change! I didn't think I would ever have anything to complain about but I'm not a huge fan of 'special' or 'delux' editions of existing albums. I paid for the CD last year and it doesn't look all that different!

It's a VERY good alternative christmas albumn, just a bit rude to expect people to buy it again isn't it?
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2015
Only just acquired this item for this year, and it has already been played at least three times - and it is still ten odd days to Christmas!
Personally, I feel very strongly anyone who would date Emily Blunt and then serially cheat on her is clearly a cretin, but this aside, there is no doubt the man can sing.
The better half is a serious fan of Mr Buble, and I had toyed with including this album in her stocking this year. However, as she is already constantly playing Christmas albums we have had for more years than I care to remember, to retain some semblance of sanity I needed something new tickling my eardrums.
This offering has some bonus tracks which is nice, and I have to admit Michael Buble does a good good on each and every track. Very easy listening, melodic and very Christmassy - what more could you want!
Recommended.