Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

VINE VOICEon 6 September 2017
I'm not a fan of gore in any way, I find it very tedious and boring to see minute after minute of blood and guts being shoved in my face, I much prefer something play on my mind by toying with my imagination and my emotions. One reason I really enjoyed this film was that there were some nice bits of gore that weren't overdone, they gently shocked as you were half expecting them. The part where you see Mary practising her craft on her unwilling victim who'd wronged her was done brilliantly, enough to make you squirm but not enough to bore you or make you feel sick. That more or less summed up the film for me, it was a superb exercise in balance, nothing was ever overdone, nasty when it needed it and subtle soft scenes where they were needed right up to the, for me anyway, unexpected end.

I particularly liked the club owner and his bouncer characters, despite being utterly nasty pieces of work they were so likeable as characters and the actors playing them played them, again with the perfect balance of nastiness and likability, you knew underneath they weren't nasty people just had to be to survive in the business they were in.

If you like gore, forget it, you will find this very boring indeed, there is almost no gore. Same too for violence, there is a lot of implied violence but very little actually seen, if you like violence you will be bored. It's more an exercise in an idea of "What if someone became..." and for me it worked perfectly.
on 1 March 2013
I have not heard much about Katherine Isabelle since her character Ginger in Ginger Snaps and Ginger Snaps Back - until now. I did order this on spec; the reviews had been good and Mark Kermode apparently gave it the thumbs up. Very strange and at times disturbing film that has a very dark vein of black humour running through it - also a film that has some very sympathetic and at times vulnerable people in it. Ultimately, a story of revenge, this film concerns the obscure world of 'body modification', which, I confess, I didn't know that much about - and still don't really! - and the lengths that some will go to to achieve their desired results in 'body image'. Some of it quite startling and in places rather sensuous and erotic, especially a daydream sequence involving Katherine Isabelle and a glass jar of red syrup . . . . !
Directed by twins Jan and Sylvia Soska with style and panache, there were a couple of times where I thought 'I am going to look away now' but the camera pulls away just as my toes began to curl in horrid anticipation! Sure, it does have some very very graphic images - hence the 18 rating - but the element of humour threaded through it, somehow makes it more watchable? I have seen it twice now, and is definitely one that I will enjoy again - and I will be keeping an eye out for future films by the Soska Twins!! There are some excellent bonus features on the disc, including a 'making of' featurette and a short but entertaining docu at the London frightfest where the film was first shown.
on 13 July 2017
Brilliant
on 8 March 2016
This woman is beautiful...........and deadly :) She was great in Ginger Snaps too. Fine and beautiful actress.
on 31 January 2017
Brilliant film
on 12 August 2017
Very pleased. AAA+++.
on 8 May 2016
Absolutely love this movie.