Customer reviews

Screws
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 June 2015
Nils Frahm is a phenomenon. I've seen him live twice now and he just gets better and better. This album is definitely one of my favourites. Beautiful and original.
on 22 March 2015
A lovely collection of very stripped back, endearing piano pieces. I've heard a lot more of Frahm's more modern, kinda strange sounding work, so this was quite refreshing to hear. This was a gift for my father who is quite close minded when it comes to music, and even he loved it.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 December 2012
To say that I loved Nils Frahm's 2010 album 'Wintermusik' would be
an understatement. He is a man who knows that less can be more and
once again, with his new album 'Screws', we find ourselves in gentle,
reflective territory with these nine sublime piano compositions. That our
host chooses to record the instrument up close and personal (I'd guess
that only one overhead microphone is employed) and that he leaves in the
incidental creaks and squeaks accidently made during their registration
gives the performances a sense of otherworldly intimacy and gravitas.

There is a quasi-classical sensibility at work in this music which
occasionally suggests the sound worlds of such composers as Eric Satie and
Carl Neilsen and perhaps even a fleeting shadow of Bach-like elegance at times.
Hypnotic, meditative, inward-looking and infinitely graceful, these inventions
work on both mind and spirit simultaneously. There is no escaping their magic.

It is almost impossible to find a favorite here when every moment demands
attention but if I had to choose one track to keep for a dark day somewhere
close to the end of the world then it would have to be the exquisite 'La';
a piece so beautiful that time seems to stand still until the very last note.

My final review of 2012 and my album of the year.

Essential.
44 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2013
Wow! Nils Frahm delivers again. The perfection all too brief, that was Wintermusik has been recaptured here. Less is more with Nils compositions, and this is achingly beautiful music that is something I will never tire of. The pieces just lead into one another and are all sublime, effortless and touch the soul. He is one of the most creative composers around today and although very brief, you simply want to play it again anyway. The solo piano is slighty muted rather than reverberant but this ands to the ambience and gravitas. A masterwork then which I recommend unreservedly!
on 22 January 2016
It's Nils Frahm, he's always good
on 3 August 2015
GreatService
on 11 November 2016
I love Nils Frahm and I was really excited when I ordered this record, as it's one of my favourites, on August 28th. However it being November 24th without it even being dispatched I am considerably less hyped...
on 2 December 2015
Mesmerising
on 4 May 2013
This collection of beautifully played piano pieces is contemplative, intimate and soulful. I have several other releases by this artist and the label and they rarely disappoint.
on 1 March 2013
a good cd of piano works by a great German pianist/composer he has quite a few cd's availble - 9/10