on 29 May 2013
Whilst on holiday in Paignton, Devon my wife was reminiscing about a Hans Christian Anderson book of fairy tales that she had owned as a child. A book that got lost in the mists of time. Whilst she was out I quickly looked up what Amazon had to offer and quickly came upon this gem. Using the Collect+ service I was able to have the book delivered just up the road from our holiday lodgings the very next day. She was absolutely thrilled and delighted, as were our children. The book itself is very well made and beautiful to behold. The stories contained . . . . well they are Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales need I say more? They contain a magic quality that is sadly absent from modern day children's books. It is a delight to read them for the first time of for the hundredth time. The price of the book considering its quality is almost a giveaway. I certainly and wholeheartedly recommend this fine publication
review image review image
44 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2013
I started reading this book because it was the first in a list of the Top 100 Books Of All Time and I was confused why such a title was in amongst the likes of Don Quixote and Crime And Punishment. But the more tales you read the more entrancing is Andersen's style. His recurring themes of religion, death and family take you to a world of moral fortitude and unflinching beauty. A lot of the tales feel relevant even today and the variety of location, character and length mean that they never get predictable or boring. Sure Andersen has some quirky sentences randomly thrown in but Fairy Tales is a must read for every adult with a streak of innocence left. The rest of the Top 100 have had the bar set high.
on 16 June 2016
This has to be the worst 'translation' that I have ever had the misfortune to read. It is, in fact, an exceedingly bad transcription which has managed to mangle the beautiful language of H. C. Andersen. I would like to know who committed this abomination and also the language from which this person translated as I cannot fathom how 'Frederiksborg' became 'Fredericksburg' or how 'The Emperor' was demoted to 'The King'

Anybody looking for a truly magnificent English version should attempt to obtain a copy of the translation by Erik Haugaard who has faithfully reproduced the feel of the original Danish language of the time.
on 10 October 2014
Beautiful book. I bought this as a Christmas present for my 4 yearold god-daughter. In an age where some children only read books in Kindle form I wanted her to have a book she'll never forget. The leather cover of this is beautiful and the illustrations inside are of the classic engraved sort. Some people may prefer a book with bright vivid pictures but I value this for the fact that it has a wonderful old feel to it. Ofcourse I cant say anymore than the other good reviews when it comes to the stories. True fairytales the way they should be. I'll be buying the other leatherbound titles for my children and Nieces. Very happy.
on 20 June 2015
The book is leather bound hardback in beautiful print, with some illustrations, and is a good addition to one's library. It has all of Andersen's short fairytale stories and many of them make an excellent read with hidden morals. The book presentation and format, and the lovely stories, give great enjoyment. I consider the book a very good value.
on 21 May 2016
A beautiful book full of the most wonderful, magical stories. Highly recommended - would make a fantastic gift (and anyone reading the other review of this book - on this edition the name is spelled correctly so they must be referring to another book)?
on 7 August 2016
This is actually a printed version of a Project Gutenberg e-text. The information pages at the front all refer to it being an electronic version. As such, it seems overpriced. There is no book publisher shown, so I assume it's legal to sell it?
Also, there are some formatting issues, for example: the contents list is a paragraph with no formatting or punctuation whatsoever. Plus footnotes appear in the body of the text, after the paragraph they refer to, in exactly the same size font!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2015
Bought this as a first Xmas present for our daughter (as something to read to her before bed in a few years time) and we love it. It's absolutely gorgeous and looks so expensive. Very very happy with it and hoping to buy lots more from the range for her collection!
on 26 April 2016
Preparing to do a Futurelearn course on the Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Anderson I decided I ought to re-read them. This was an excellent way of doing so and I am now revisiting the tales of my childhood
on 3 February 2015
I wanted to buy my daughter a keepsake of fairytales for when she gets a bit older. The book is even better in the flesh with a beautiful purple and gold cover, gold edging to the pages and beautiful illustrations inside. It's a nice size too and will easily fit on any bookshelf. I haven't started reading yet because it's for when my 2 year old is older but the size of the font isn't too small which is good.