Customer reviews

on 9 June 2013
As long as you have internet access (as you'll still need to download the patch) this is a must have game. It's an SRPG with a twist, in that combat, instead of being pre-determined, is similar to standard JRPGs like the Persona series. The story is excellent and the characters are good, and this hybrid of SRPG and JRPG combat works really well.

The main problem with the game is the occassional escort mission, as your partner AI is poor. As long as you keep an eye on your allies, and remove strong enemies near them, you should be fine.

This is an expanded version of a DS game that didn't come out here, with the main changes being voice acting, new content and the addition of an easy mode, which is good because the game can get quite hard on the standard difficulty.

Now that the bugs are gone, there's no reason not to buy this great game.
33 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2013
I think it's fair to say that I'm not a big SRPG fan. I enjoy RPGs more for their plots and characters than for their combat systems. And I suck at tactics. With the exception of Fire Emblem: Awakening I haven't really enjoyed any SRPGs. So my review is a little biased right off the start. But the tactical side isn't the problem I have with the game. I do have a beef with some aspects of the game, but that element isn't one of them. I'll cover my problems first so that I can get them out of the way and highlight the good aspects, which are also very good.

This game is (for the most part) a 2D game. You select areas in Tokyo to visit and then your character goes to a still image of that area with character cutouts inserted on top. There is no animation of any kind, just 2D drawings. Kinda like Professor Layton. The battle maps are in 3D, but once you enter combat you simply have a still image of the opposing team. When they attack you they get slightly bigger and they flash when they're hit. That is the extent of the interaction. I have to state right now that this whole thing really bothers me. A lot more than the tactical side. It worked fine for a game like Professor Layton, but here it feels really cheap and uninvolving. It brings back bad memories of the text-based RPGs of years past. Is it really too much to ask for basic villain animations? Even Final Fantasy managed that back when they were on the PS1.

The second annoying aspect of this game is the difficulty. Under no circumstances should you buy the DS version of this game unless you are a mega gamer. The 3DS has added an Easy difficulty setting which I put it on, and the game is still kicking my butt. I have friends who are better at SRPGs and who got the DS version, but gave up midway because it was just too difficult. Why the designers felt the need to punish us I don't know, but it was not a good idea. Bad Guys hurt.

The good part of the game is the characters and plot. Tokyo is under a very quiet demon invasion and the area where our characters are located is ground zero. The authorities have sealed it off and are preparing to do something horrible to eliminate the threat. More worryingly, the protagonist is now able to see what is essentially a death clock over peoples' heads. And nobody's clock shows more than a week. Him and his friends only have a day. His cousin gave him and his two friends DSs (way to be meta Atlus) that allow them to fight and recruit demons of their own. The goal isn't to save the world. All you can do is survive, and that alone'll be tricky. It's a great concept and one that they exploit quite well.

The characters are great too, and in the 3DS port they are fully voiced. The voice acting is excellent and well worth getting the 3DS version for, provided you don't already have a copy.. There is a sequel to this game on the DS, but it might be worth waiting around for it to be released in an upgraded 3DS port too. I understand that one has already been released in Japan so it's only a matter of time. As you might have gathered I have mixed feelings about this game. On the one hand I enjoyed the plot a great deal. On the other, I found the gameplay to be cheap and boring. Depending on what you want out of a Shin Megami Tensei game that will either ruin the game or not be a problem. For my part I'll give the second game a go if it ever comes out in the west. The plot and characters were enough to keep me interested.

Shin Megami Tensei games have a good track record. There are the Persona games which are also set in the modern day (Persona,Persona 2,Persona 3,Persona 4). Additionally there are the main games (most recently Shin Megami Tensei IV which is set in a fantasy kingdom) and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.
on 31 March 2013
This is a tactical RPG where you collect demons and use them in battle to defeat other demons, you move your characters around on a grid type map to engage in battles, similar to Fire Emblem on 3DS. This is a updated version of a DS game from a few years ago, a new chapter was added to the game if I am correct, and the game is now fully voice acted. From what I have played the story is interesting, and this game offers many hours of gameplay, it is a very long game and I have barely scratched the surface. There are hundred of demons to collect and they can be fused with other demons to create new ones, and their are multiple endings so replay value is high.

If you are worried that this game has a lot of demons in it, and you are worried about all that stuff and if this game is right for you, all I can say is they are more or less like pokemon and not as sinister as you would imagine, they come in all shapes and sizes and one even looks like a cabbage wearing a tie. this is not a devil worshiping game or anything like that and the story is told in your typical Japanese RPG way with likable characters and art style like the Persona games or other Atlus RPGs, watch some video reviews on youtube if you want a clearer explanation of the gameplay and subject matter. From what I have gathered so far from the story, Japan is under attack from demons and you have to defeat them, that is about all I have discovered so far.

My reason for writing this review early is to warn people that the European version contains a bug where if you use the summon command in a battle the game will lock up and freeze on you for a good 4-5 minutes and then will resume as normal and can use the summon command as normal, but it will freeze again in future battles if you use the summon command again,and you must wait it out yet again for the game to start working. You can avoid using the summon command but this will make the game harder for many people I am guessing. This is a major flaw that should never have made it into the game, but I am hoping the people responsible will do the right thing and patch this problem with a update. It is not a random bug, it happens at a specific time , when you use a certain feature, so they should be able to pin point the problem and fix it .

Many will encounter this problem and turn off the game and never return as they will assume it is completely broken, a real shame.

If your game does freeze, just wait a few minutes and you will be able to continue. The game can be completed with this method so it's not completely broken thankfully but this needs to be fixed as it is a awful bug in the game. if the game is fixed then i will be changing my score to 5 stars as this is what the game deserves imo when its working as intended. One or two stars may seem harsh but this is a major problem and almost completely breaks the game. When you are paying £30 odd quid for a game you expect it to work properly, especially after waiting 2 years for this game to be released in Europe.

*update* 25/4/13

Ghostlight have tweeted that a patch has passed through testing to fix these problems and they will be submitting it to Nintendo very soon. so hopefully the problems will be fixed shortly.
1717 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2013
I had been looking to get this game a while ago but when I learned of the bugs I put it off.
However, Ghostlight have submitted the patch to Nintendo and it's nearly ready.
Having said this, I took the plunge and so happy I did! this is a hidden 3DS gem. Great graphics, full voice acting and nail-biting battles.
The bugs have not slowed my progress, the first bug which is the game freezes when summoning during battle, only last around a minute then you can continue the battle. The other being, when you are in a devil auction the game crashes if a bidder lies, just use "buy now". Problem solved, no crashing!
I am thoroughly enjoying this gaming experience. I suggest you do the same
on 29 June 2013
Great characters, great storyline, the battle system is challenging and balanced (though a bit grind-heavy on a first playthrough), and the game has great replayable value. One of the most satisfying I've ever played.
on 16 July 2016
While not the best overeall 3DS SRPG, due to a lack of graphical improvements over the DS original & lack of 3D - it has strong gameplay mechanics, a good story, the best characters & fusion system in any rpg I played, and an excellent late 80s/early 90s vibe to it which I'm sure is enjoyable to many. It is playable yet challenging on easy mode, with a little grinding necessary which is not as bad as in other Atlus titles such as Etrian Oddysey. So while I don't recommend it as the first SRPG to play in a collection, there is nothing else like it & it is certainly worth playing.
on 12 July 2013
Exceeded my expectations. There are a lot of options to choose from. The OST is fantastic and there's only a problem: it makes no use of 3D tech. However, I love it!
on 16 June 2013
The game has all the good things of the DS version plus many more demons and some new options an mechanics for new game +, plus the eighth day...
on 21 May 2015
Quite a whacked out story, with rather in your face religious overtones, but still good entertainment. Quite a long game, and, if you can be bothered to do all the battles again, good replay value. The battles are turn-based, and strategy depends mainly on the weapon / spell chosen, there is little advantage in tactical manoeuvring, other than maybe trying to protect a character that is close to death...
on 16 August 2013
I really enjoyed this game. The battle system is fluid and incredibly addictive and the storyline is compelling. If you have not previously played Devil Survivor on the DS Then I would thoroughly recommend this game. However, the cartridge has bugs and you would need to download a patch from the eShop. The patch does work perfectly and it doesn't use up too many blocks so it shouldn't be a problem.

See one answered question