I really love the Faure. The performance is one of the very best, the soloists are excellent, and for once the sacd layer is fantastic on my sound sytem. Nikolitch's Bach partita 2 in D minor sounds very spontaneous and realistic sounding. I'm really impressed by the new musical enlightenment I obtained from the interspersed chorales.
My only disappointment is the overlaying of the choral music above the great Chaconne, which kinda works but really doesn't enhance, rather the opposite. I wish it had been provided as an 'alternative' extra track, like having alternative cadenzas. The unaccompanied great Chaconne, which is a complete and perfect sculpture without the need for extra sonic shading, would IMO be the better way.
I was very taken by Nikolitch's playing, sounding sweet and natural, like a live performance, and not so self-important as some versions of the Bach solo violin S&Ps, and very acceptable sound texture indeed before the opening of the Requiem.
Very well done indeed.
Thank you.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2016
Picked up on this on Radio Three's Review. Not too sentimental and very well recorded. I like the accompanying pice that comes before it and tend to agree with Radio 3 in its selection of this a the best currently available. I have I think 4 others (too many) so I will probably keep this one and ditch two of the others (for storage reasons).
2 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2016
The singing on this version of the much loved Faure Requiem is pure and expressive. The tempi are generally at the slower end which contributes to the meditative, serious and deeply felt mood. My only regret concerns the tonal balance. The bass lines in the orchestral and organ accompaniment lack definition and/or strength, whilst the treble edge given to the chorus and brass seems unnatural, particularly at forte/fortissimo. These issues could have been addressed in the final mix - hence only four stars.
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2013
I was intrigued by this, but it works beautifully. The movements of Bach's D minor solo violin Partita interspersed with Bach Chorale settings. Then the great Chaconne with closes the Partita gently overlaid with the sung chorales which are apparently hidden within it. Beautifully done, too, the violin is never obscured. Then the final held open/stopped d' which concludes the partita segues into the octave d's which open the Fauré Requiem. Which in turn is a beautiful and moving performance. Cumulatively the effect is powerful and highly moving. Highly recommended!
on 30 June 2013
THe Requiem is a favourite work which I have sung several times over the years. My previous recording was on an LP purchased 'way back' and seeing the various CD's on offer I asked a musically-qualified friend for an opinion on which to get. Tenebre, I was told, are always good, and so they are. I had not appreciated that they are a smallish ensemble and whilst their performance is excellent I prefer, on balance, a larger choir; purely a personal choice, just as some like 'Messiah' performed by a chamber choir and limited instruments, and others prefer Huddersfield Choral Society with a full orchestra. Good value for money though.
on 11 July 2014
I have only listened to the Faure, but this is amazing, normally with Choir and orchestra, the orchestra often is let down be the choir, here the choir is great, absolutely no flaws in the soprano or intonation. Another big plus point is the acoustics, as it is not recorded in the barbican but in a church, here you really feel how good London Symphony Orchestra is, when it is not spoilt by the bad muffled Barbican Hall. This recording proofs that London Symphony Orchestra should look into another concert venue to really start glowing.
One person found this helpful
on 30 May 2014
Having sung alto in this requiem, I love a church setting for this very moving piece, and feel a strong affinity with it.

This recording doesn't disappoint. It's pure, perfectly restrained and beautifully executed. I'm particularly keen on female voices for soprano and alto parts rather than boy choristers, which is why I specifically chose this recording rather than the well-known Willcocks' Cambridge version.

I will definitely be looking out for more recordings by Tenebrae - their sound is absolutely lovely.
One person found this helpful
on 1 July 2017
Incredible recording. Arrived when and as expected.
on 25 February 2013
This live recording is magnificent. If ever there was a CD that made you feel that you were 'In The Room' then this is it. Gorgeous and essential Sunday morning listening.
on 6 February 2017