on 5 August 2013
I had spent several hours looking for a backpack style camera case that would meet my requirements:
* Comfortably hold my Nikon DSLR with kit lens, 55-300mm zoom lens, small macro lens, remote shutter release, gorillapod, filters, spare battery, cleaning brush and cloths.
* Allow quick access to the camera and lenses, preferably wearable as a `sling' bag so I could slide it from back to side/front of my body.
* Have space to hold an iPad.
* Cost less than £50 but be of decent quality.

I had all but given up, as bags seemed to come in a couple of types: small sling bags which might hold all my camera gear at a push but would not accommodate an iPad, or larger backpacks which had to be removed to allow access to camera and lenses. There were a few high-end sling types which met most of the requirements but were over budget.

I had almost given up the search when I noticed this USA Gear bag on Amazon. Although it was a few pounds over budget, it was £15-20 cheaper than any others I had seen. It seemed to fit the bill, though I wasn't sure it would slide around and give easy access to the camera but I decided to order it anyway, figuring that it could always be sent back if I was unhappy with it.

As soon as I opened the box it came in, I could see that this was a quality item, made from fairly substantial rip-stop nylon, with joints, seams and zips looking to be of high quality. After a quick inspection I wore the bag in a sling style with the strap over my left shoulder. It was easily pulled round to the front left of my body, and the `side camera access' opening (see product picture #3) was ideally placed to allow access to the main storage compartment. Once unzipped, the cover opened away from my body, just as I had hoped. The cover itself has a soft-lined pocket in the interior side, with a Velcro fastening.

The main interior compartment is roomy enough to hold the main items (Camera body, lenses, gorillapod, the 2 x velvet covered pockets in the main access panel will happily hold filters and cleaning gear, memory cards and iPad photo connector accessory go in the small front compartment, leaving the `large accessory storage' and side zip pocket free. (The large accessory area contains the supplied waterproof cover in an internal mesh pocket.)

Finally, my iPad fits easily into the back padded compartment, which also took my 15inch laptop with ease.

The tripod holder on this bag is better than others I have seen, as it uses a lower round pocket to hold the folded legs and an upper strap to secure close to the tripod head, making for a fairly secure attachment. The downside of this arrangement is that the lower pocket doubles as the water bottle holder, so you cannot carry both but that's not an insurmountable problem.

The case comes with a 3-year Warranty (register online within 30 days), although the warranty terms specify shipping the faulty item back to manufacturer - given that it's "USAGear" I'd be tempted to lodge any claims with Amazon first!

All in all, I'm very happy with a quality, well-designed item available at the right price. :)
99 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2013
I recently got this item as I wanted to get a bag that would hold my recently growing kit collection. I also wanted something that would hold my iPad as I tend to use that to edit my photos when I'm out and about.

This bag ticked all the boxes for me. The plus points for me:
- It will hold a DSLR camera with a battery grip
- It holds a water bottle
- It will hold an iPad or laptop
- It has extra space for chargers and my compact camera
- As many storage pockets as possible

The SD card holding pocket and the choice of traditional or sling-style ways of wearing the bag are nice touches. The design of this bag has obviously been carefully considered. The chest straps will likely make this very comfortable for long walks.

Despite its storage capabilities it doesn't feel like a massive bag. It's a good size and comfortable to wear. I highly recommend this bag. You could never get a bag like this on the high street for this price!
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2013
It took me ages to decide on which bag to go for, as Amazon always have a good selection and choice of whatever you are looking for.
I was looking for a bag that would,
* Take my Nikon DSLR and two lenses, everyday, and tele zoom.
* Take all my filters and other accessories that I need on a day out.
* Be waterproof if I got caught in rain
* be structured so that it would hold its shape
* would take a snack and drink
* would carry my tripod
* and most importantly have easy fast access to the camera.
This bag had it all and stood above the others in terms of quality and price.
I have been out a couple of times with this bag and its so versatile and comfortable on your back. Also it has a good solid base that you can stand it up when you take it off, which makes getting stuff in and out a breeze.
In an other review about this product someone described it as being like the Tardis - I would agree its amazing what you can get in it. Saying that its a nice size for carrying on a day out with your camera, not too bulky.
Please note - the first one I ordered came with the Tripod strap missing from it and had to be returned. I complained to Amazon who quickly sent me a replacement. I would think that this was a random incident so I wouldn't let that put you off. I still love this bag and would recommend it. Best regards.
on 14 May 2013
Since I purchased this bag I have only used it on 6 day walks but it worked well and was comfortable the longest day was a 12 mile coastal walk in very blustery conditions and I see no reason why it would not remain comfortable over longer walks Seems to be of good construction and should last well
When using as a sling bag the unused straps tuck away in the Luggage handle slot and dose not get in the way
The tripod holder works well keeping the tripod secure in all conditions and when not carrying a tripod the bottom cup can be used to carry water bottle
There is enough room to keep my 4 lenses and cannon 550D with double battery grip with room to spare I do not carry a laptop with me but found this compartment useful for carrying maps
The large top compartment as loads of space in it and the rain cover lots of little compartments on the bag allow you to keep everything you will need close to hand
on 9 May 2013
I purchased this as it was larger than my previous backpack and all my lenses and kit would not fit into it anymore.
There is a lot more room in this bag for Lenses and accessories. It is well made and pretty heavy duty, my tripod attaches to the side of the bag and doesn`t move around when walking,. There is side access for the camera so the bag doesnt have to be taken off your back, there is also a compartment at the back for a laptop that is well padded but it will only fit a laptop of about 15", i have a 17" and it doesnt fit.
All in all a great backback, well made at at a very reasonable price. It was also delivered with tracking and within 2 days of ordering.
on 6 August 2013
Very nice backpack,holds two SLR's, four lenses,two video cameras and one bridge camera,better than the £80.00 Lowepro that I used originally.I can thoroughly recommend this case.
Amazon, in its wisdom, has published the same set of reviews against both USA Gear bags, and yet they are very different products.

The cheaper bag has no tablet/laptop compartment and nowhere to locate the legs of a tripod or store a water bottle, as well as being smaller.

I ordered the cheaper bag USA Gear Photographers SLR Camera Backpack/ Hiking Rucksack with Waterproof Rain Cover, Customisable Gear Storage & Tripod Holder and feel it's seriously over-priced @ £44.99, for what it offers, especially compared with similar USA Gear bags on amazon.com. The more expensive bag Heavy Duty Camera Rucksack Backpack Case by USA Gear with Extra Lens Storage , Tripod Holder , Laptop Compartment & Shoulder Sling Strap looks better value but still pricey, although I haven't actually seen it. I'll wait for my next US trip and buy a bag there, ordering in advance for delivery to my hotel, as I often do.
77 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2014
have just come back from cornwall walking the coastal cliff paths. At all times this backpack was comfortable and felt totally secure even when scrambling up the steep bits. Even having my tripod on the side didn't make it feel lopsided. I had my D3100 with kit lens 55-300 and 35ml prime as well as various filters and bits and pieces. Used the laptop bit for maps etc and still had enough room for a bottle of drink and some snack bars. I am totally pleased with this and it absolutely deserves 5 stars.
on 4 June 2013
These are excellent, rather like the Tardis in design.
It's a lot better build than my last one, and very much more robust too.
on 17 March 2015
Well put together. Has a few silly pockets that you can't fit much in but if you wanted to keep one quarter of a small pancake safe this bag has pocket for that..... One thing that isn't clear from the pictures is the easy access flap - it is fact separate from the larger opening on the front of the bag. You can just slide the bag around your body and with access flap upwards, unzip it and remove your camera without exposing any of the other gear inside. I can fit my camera body ( Nikon d7000), a 17-50mm and 70-300mm lens into the main compartment and spare batteries and cards into pockets on the front and in the top compartment. Also a good sized flash gun fits into the top compartment with space left over. Being able to carry a tripod on the side of the bag is also helpful - I often leave mine at home because it is a pain to carry only to find I needed it. I know the bag is billed as large but I don't think it is. It should easily fit under an airline seat. However, if you have any professional size lenses I suspect you will struggle to get more than one lens of around 150mm and a camera body in the main compartment so you might want to check measurements carefully before buying this bag.