Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.22

on 21 November 2012
Philippe Auclair's book on Thierry Henry is far removed from the usual banal chronological flattery that is the usual footballer biography. Auclair's thorough and deep research into Henry's past explains, not always in complimentary or sycophantic terms, the behaviour of a rather unusual and prodigal footballer. His childhood, his over bearing father and successes and mistakes in his career all compile into a brilliant and complex portrait of one of the world's leading sportsmen.

For those with an interest in football and Arsenal in particular, this book will be revealing and very interesting regardless of how much you think you know about Henry's career already.
on 21 November 2012
It's surprising nobody has written a proper biography, as opposed to a cut and paste job, of Henry before and Auclair's effort is so comprehensive it's difficult to see how it can be bettered.
Henry is not a straightforward hero and Auclair examines his relationships with his father and the likes of Zidane and Raymond Dommenech to explain why.
Henry's lack of leadership during the South Africa World Cup campaign comes in for unsparing criticism, but the book ends on a high with his cameo for Arsenal in 2012. This book makes an excellent companion to Arsenal - The French Connection: How the Arsenal Became L'Arsenal which profiles Henry and the equally fascinating background stories of Arsenal's other French players.
on 31 May 2014
I must declare first of all that I am not an Arsenal fan, but I have read a few books about some of their players-Tony Adams, Kenny Samson etc., and a biography of Arsene Wenger who I greatly admire as a person and a cerebral football manager. This biography was not 'a kiss and tell' book, it was written by an educated and thoughtful journalist-yes they do still exist!!!- The book covers Henry's life from the estates of Paris to the 24 hour world of New York. It was an enjoyable read, though at times I did become rather bogged down in certain details.
Henry certainly had great footballing skills which were seen at their pinnacle when he was a member of the Arsenal football club, somehow everything before and after seemed like an also ran.
This is a book Arsenal fans will greatly enjoy, and also the general football supporter who enjoys his football biography with detail, thought and comment rather than a blow-by- blow account of every game and breakdown of the opposition through someone's illustrious career.
on 7 November 2014
The book is full of material, good work, about football from the time henry joined to 2010 world cup. Maybe the title would have been "the game and thierry henry".
why 3 stars? Too much of details, it is at time difficult to keep the reading.
The insight about the 2010 france world cup, the history, politics, racism... is not a bad thing. If for frenchis, Titi was forgotten with that world cup, in england Thierry henry is still a great deal and this book tells us nothing about the real man!!
on 7 November 2014
I found this a very strange book, which may be due to the fact that it is by a Frenchman about a Frenchman. It gives a reasonable account of Henry's career but, other than his relationships with his father & Zidane, tells us very little about the man. His ex-wife and current partner get barely a mention. I got the impression that the writer had little regard for, or little knowledge of, his subject at a personal level.
on 4 January 2013
'One of the best' could apply to this book or it's subject. This is probably the best sporting biography I've ever read. The writer is obviously a fan but not blind to his subjects shortcomings and problems. Thoroughly recommended.
on 18 February 2015
Great book and incite into a notoriously shy and private person. The writer is very close to Henry as a friend so is possibly thes best person to write a biography. From birth to retirement, a great book into Henry, his upbringing, training, the frence national side and Arsenal.
on 19 March 2013
Being an Arsenal, and Henry fan, you could say I am biased, and I am. But, I would also say that previous to reading this I wouldn't have wanted to read a book written someone like myself. I want an open, honest account of someone who has made it to the top of their profession, warts and all.

This book is written extremely well, is engrossing and I was surprised at how many names I recognised spanning Henry's time in football from childhood to his twilight years.

Hard to put down. I recommended this highly, even towards people who aren't necessarily Henry fans..
on 15 November 2013
Great great book even though I am bias as I am a Arsenal fan, the book arrived in good time and I got it at a very good price plus the book is a marvellous read for true football fans around the world..!
on 16 November 2013
I think even non-Arsenal fans would acknowledge just how good Henry was. It makes sense then that someone must document his life. I's a comprehensive read and although not always flattering (everyone has their faults) well worth it.