Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 4 December 2012
Absorbed from the opening pages, I settled down to read For the Sake of Her Family with ever increasing enjoyment. Not for this author a milksop heroine, but one with ambition and a determination to have for herself the finer things of life. The reader accompanies her on her journey of self-discovery, sometimes shocked at the mistakes she makes and then full of admiration at her courage. The characterisation of all of the characters is excellent, and I found it a joy to read this new author's beautiful and evocative descriptions of the Yorkshire dales. A well-written saga and highly recommended.
on 8 March 2013
what a great story from start to finish did not want to put book down to i had read it thank you
on 18 December 2012
A real must read book.It was wonderful to find a new author writing such an enjoyable story.I got involved with Alice from page one and as the story unfolded got an insight into life all those years ago.
on 30 August 2013
Diane Allen is a New author to me and an ending I didn't expect - right to end I was kept guessing well worth a read I was absorbed from beginning to end - well written
on 28 September 2013
Loved this book from beginning to end, A wonderful strong character in Alice. Looking forward to more from this author.
on 9 May 2016
I was hooked by the characters and storyline from page one and it was with great sadness when I reached the end of the story. I laughed I cried and I felt every inch of Alice's journey and shared her sadness along the way.
on 30 May 2014
When I first started this book I thought it was going to be the tale of poor little servant girl doing any job she could find. Well it was in a way but then I didn't realise what a feisty and brilliant character Alice was evolving into as she grew older. Determined to improve her status and income as well as looking after her brother, Will, she would tackle most things and was not afraid of speaking out when she felt she had been wronged.

Alice goes through much sadness before she finds happiness but am not saying anymore as don't want to spoil the story. Unlike some reviewers I did not guess how it was going to end but like the rest of us Alice learnt some lessons along the way and had her ups and downs. I now await the next book by Diane Allen and hope it is as interesting.
on 28 December 2014
This book was one of my favourites the poor Girl Alice was a tower of strength, even although she was foolish at times but she was young and had been through so much. However she got there in the end and married the man of her dreams in the after after she realised how foolish she had been . Thanks to the author she is fantastic I didn't want the book to end. I gave a five star as I loved the story
on 29 May 2014
The year, 1912, and with the death of their father life changes for Alice Bentham and her brother Will. To make ends meet they work for The Lord of the Manor and his sister. However ambition, greed, corruption and love change their lives for the worst. The wrong life choices are made resulting in lasting consequences. The start of the First World War appears to be the answer to their problems.
Excellent story, well written with well developed characters. Life choices in 1912 were very limited so I had a lot of sympathy for the Bentham family.
Good read
on 7 February 2014
Ok read. Not really ' my -cup of tea'
Ending rather fast after all that had gone on. Not overly impressed. But I read it and whiled away a few hours. Didn't exactly grip me. But there you go!