Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£19.25

on 16 November 2012
I'm a big Andy McNab fan, having read all his books this year (bar the books for kids), twice (at least!). I love his style, real, gritty, and described so you feel like you are there.

However unfortunately this book feels like its written by someone else. The two main characters are dull and feel like superficial, hollywood-ish stereotypes, not his usual interesting, 'real' characters. Plot was OK, but a bit simple and not up to Andy McNab's usual standard. The book felt like it was written by someone copying Andy McNab's style, but missing out all the key ingredients that make his books bloomin' fantastic.

Damn shame, all in all!

Having said all that, I still enjoyed reading it, but would never recommend it to anyone, as I think it just doesn't live up to McNab's marvellous standards!
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2014
I nearly gave up! I have read all of McNabs books and have always found them to be very well written, fast paced and full of action from the start. This book was a huge disappointment. I don't know if the author is currently going through his mid life crisis ( I hope not to wind him up, not a good guy to have on your case) but for the first third of this book he is trying to copy a Mills & Boons love story. Instead of the usual violence and action, he seems to concentrate on Tom's love life. If I wanted all luvvy duvvy mushy stuff, I would have chosen a book from the romance section. As for the lengthy introduction to Tom's posh parents who have a problem downing loads of gin, I felt sorry for them, but was so bored with the dragged out details, that I skim read that particular section.
Even when the real action gets started, when the terrorists are in the tunnel, our hero Tom, single handed, takes on about 40 veteran soldiers trying to rescue his girl. I usually love McNabs books because they are realistic, with the good guys getting injured and killed, and sometimes even failing in their mission. Tom appears to be invincible when chasing after his true love. I hope Tom and his Gal live happily ever after, but lets get back to what McNab is good at please, no more Romance. McNab is far, far, better than this when he sticks to what he is best at.
I have only ticked OK because the last two thirds pick up a bit with more action, last out until then if you can.
on 30 October 2012
This new book introduces a new action hero from Andy McNab. The character still serving in the SAS is completely different from what has come from McNab previously. It is well worth reading, an enjoyable read but slightly predictable.
on 11 October 2013
Having read all Andy McNab's books and enjoyed the majority this latest effort smacks of an author short of time and money at a deadline.The story line is non existant and the characters are lacking in credability.
I do hope that before the next book the publisher exercises some quality control.
on 27 July 2013
Clearly not written by Mc Nab or if really if it was Mc Nab behind the keyboard he was drunk and in a hurry to deliver the script. The text has not been proofread and the event sequence does not make sense, in short the scenario has not been seriously built. For example :
- p128 ; the Constable is loading his golf club into the boot of his Jag, one page later he is in his 5 series BMW towards the motorway
- p 149 Sambor shot the driver with ceramic rounds which are designed to fragment on impact for avoiding ricochet, so the bullets "pulverized his brain without exiting his head. The only thing to hit the windscreen was a fine mist of blood". Later the same Sambor shot firemen with the same weapon and this time the bullets "took out his brain ..emerged from the back of his skull taking fragments of helmet
- the two trains stopping at 100m away from each other : it's a miracle of synchronisation in emergency, the best control center can't do that
- Sambor and his men came down from the shuttle, walked in the tunnel, came back in the locomotive to shoot the driver meanwhile the convoy is stopped, rerun ..... it's a mess
- the dead man braking system : not working like it is described in the book

And so on. I love MC Nab and Nick Stone but I'll think twice before ordering another book from him if this is the tendancy
McNab introduces us to a new character, a public school SAS trooper who chases his French girlfriend onto the Eurostar just as it is taken over by terrorists. A bit Die Hard and a bit Under Siege 2 so we have seen much of this before, but it is pulled together quite well. Into the mix we have characters with hidden agendas, SAS tradecraft, lots of action and various twists and turns.

It's fun stuff and easy to rattle through quickly and leaving you with the desire to see some of these characters in a future book, quite likely I would have said given how it ends!

So another solid effort from Mr McNab, not ground-breaking but it delivers exactly what you expect it to.
77 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2012
I have read all of the Nick Stone books to date, for the most part I have enjoyed them a lot, I like the character and his perspective on life. I had high hopes for this book but found it to be rather predictable and dull, I didn't really like the main protagonist much, his story and background didn't add much to the story. It was as if this was written by a first time novelist, not someone who has already written so many books, many of which are gripping.

Bring back Nick Stone!
on 10 November 2012
A departure for McNab's usual terse, no-nonsense style at times - more reflective and more about 'relationships' - personally not to my taste. Bring back Nick Stone, please!
on 18 June 2016
It was OK....that all I can say really. Many similarities between the Spider Shepherd character by Steven Leather. SAS, Hereford, problems with girfriend choosing her or job, parents etc....and ending with terrorists beneath the channel! I thought I'd read it before. Some of the action scenes weren't bad and I liked the shirt, sharp chapters. But some of the writing was a but "Boys Own" stuff with added violence thrown in. And a terrorist that ruthless with a soft spot? I don't think so. Still it kept me occupied for a while.
on 13 June 2016
After getting bored of Nick Stone, thought this would be a fresh new start. But sadly failed on many levels in my eyes. Couldn't connect with the characters much, apart from the job comes first. That's not just in the special forces, but many branches of the forces.
The action seemed a bit disjointed and just a touch too far fetched.
But then great idea, how would they cope with the situation?
I don't think I will be in a rush to get the others in this series, but then might give it another go, who knows!